Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2013 Predictions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

RML wrote: »
    Remember : only 1 female poet comes up

Not necessarily :P they might be nice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

RML wrote: »
    Remember : only 1 female poet comes up

in 2011, there was 2 female poets

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Peaceoutdude

Has any one any predictions for biology HL, I'm screwed have some serious cramming to do.. :'(
    Also for HL Irish :/ Thank you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Luize

You're all here complaining about Irish while I haven't even touched an Irish book since last year and got an A in the mock without doing a single thing .. ordinary level lol. Its the easiest thing ever like its ridiculous

Has any one any predictions for biology HL, I'm screwed have some serious cramming to do.. :'(
    Also for HL Irish :/ Thank you :)

Immobilized enzymes, leaf yeast and IAA experiment.
    and bacteria defo for long questions :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Luize wrote: »
    You're all here complaining about Irish while I haven't even touched an Irish book since last year and got an A in the mock without doing a single thing .. ordinary level lol. Its the easiest thing ever like its ridiculous

Surely you must of done some work over the last few years to reach that standard of Irish though?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Peaceoutdude

Thank you :) did leaf yeast not come up last year as an experiment? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

Way too much study to do, so I've decided to go for a sleep instead!

David1994 wrote: »
    Surely you must of done some work over the last few years to reach that standard of Irish though?

Nope, honestly. I was in higher level for Junior Cert and got a C and then dropped in 5th year and it's so so easy. I went into the mock not knowing the two poems cause our teacher hadn't done them yet and still got an A which was quite surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gretog

I know not alot of people do it, but does anyone here have any predictions for Classical Studies? (particularly Alexander would be great)
    Such a dense course Im starting to freak out a little!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

For geography its best to learn 2 features of erosion because everyone is expecting one to come up and she might change it to 2 features of erosion. (grinds school)
    This is gonna sound so stupid prob..but ya features of erosion.. that could be coastal or glacial or rivers so why bother learning all the chaps and just focus on one?? Will they ask a specific sort of erosion??

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Macker17

Anybody think that "appearance versus reality" will come up for Macbeth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭Sporty_Kate

Possible questions for An Triail? And what essay title and poetry do you reckon for HL irish? :) Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

Macker17 wrote: »
    Anybody think that "appearance versus reality" will come up for Macbeth?

It's very similar to deception:

The witches appear to guarantee MacBeth's security with the 3 apparitions but we know they are trying to lull MacBeth into a false sense of safety "security is mortal's chiefest enemy" in fact the apparitions are "betraying him in deepest consequence" as Banquo foresaw after the initial meeting, the apparitions make MacBeth feel invincible and they eventually bring about his downfall.

So yeah you can see how it is is the same as deception in many regards.

matTNT wrote: »
    It's very similar to deception:

The witches appear to guarantee MacBeth's security with the 3 apparitions but we know they are trying to lull MacBeth into a false sense of safety "security is mortal's chiefest enemy" in fact the apparitions are "betraying him in deepest consequence" as Banquo foresaw after the initial meeting, the apparitions make MacBeth feel invincible and they eventually bring about his downfall.

So yeah you can see how it is is the same as deception in many regards.
    So .. A v R is basically the witches telling him something and making him feel un touchable but he actually isn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lc_2013

For English, how many poems should I be doing for each poet? And how would I go about answering it, like how many points do I have to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Toblerone123

Bonbon1995 wrote: »
    So .. A v R is basically the witches telling him something and making him feel un touchable but he actually isn't?

I wouldn't JUST talk about that.. You could talk about Lady Macbeth and Macbeth putting on the "false face" etc.
    A lot of that essay could be about Macbeth in general and how his whole reign revolves around his false appearance

I wouldn't JUST talk about that.. You could talk about Lady Macbeth and Macbeth putting on the "false face" etc.
    A lot of that essay could be about Macbeth in general and how his whole reign revolves around his false appearance
    This really helps that's so much :D.. if you have any more info do tell! If you need any info on irish Spanish or bio let me know :)

That was an example, it appears they are helping MacBeth in reality they are not.

Another example is Banquo appears to pledge to swear to find Duncan's killer "In the great hand of god I stand to fight against treasonous malice", while in reality he suspects MacBeth although does not voice his concerns, "King, Cawdor, Glamis thou hast it all, just as the weird women promised yet I fear thou played most foully for't"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Eventually Appearance and Reality become one for Macbeth and "the very firstlings of (his) heart will be the firstlings of (his) hand".

Furthermore, in the corrupt world created by Shakespeare, even Malcolm has to engage in pretence, as we see in the key scene where he tests Macduff's true nature.

• Advertisement

That was an example, it appears they are helping MacBeth in reality they are not.

Another example is Banquo appears to pledge to swear to find Duncan's killer "In the great hand of god I stand to fight against treasonous malice", while in reality he suspects MacBeth although does not voice his concerns, "King, Cawdor, Glamis thou hast it all, just as the weird women promised yet I fear thou played most foully for't"
    Lies in other words so yes? Matt , you're amazing!!! If you don't get an A1 I give up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

This really helps that's so much :D.. if you have any more info do tell! If you need any info on irish Spanish or bio let me know :)

You can talk about Malcolm too, for example, when Macduff goes to meet with him in England, Malcolm deceives Macduff by making him believe that if he were to return with Macduff and take over the throne, he would "cut the nobles of their land" and take every man's woman for his own "Your wives, your daughters, your matrons, and your maids could not fill up the cistern of my lust". He's tricking Macduff to test his loyalty and to make sure he isn't trying to lure him back to Scotland, only to be murdered by Macbeth.

That comes under AvR and Deception, I think.

Lies in other words so yes? Matt , you're amazing!!! If you don't get an A1 I give up!!

You actually can't say the witches are lying, to echo the porter, their equivocating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

You actually can't say the witches are lying, to echo the porter, their equivocating.

they're*

kevin12345 wrote: »
    You can talk about Malcolm too, for example, when Macduff goes to meet with him in England, Malcolm deceives Macduff by making him believe that if he were to return with Macduff and take over the throne, he would "cut the nobles of their land" and take every man's woman for his own "Your wives, your daughters, your matrons, and your maids could not fill up the cistern of my lust". He's tricking Macduff to test his loyalty and to make sure he isn't trying to lure him back to Scotland, only to be murdered by Macbeth.

That comes under AvR and Deception, I think.
    SWATS..lol jk, rather jealous!! did ye have brilliant teachers??

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lc_2013

What kind of questions would be tipped to appear for Derek Mahon? Like what would be the main points to discuss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

lc_2013 wrote: »
    What kind of questions would be tipped to appear for Derek Mahon? Like what would be the main points to discuss?

That he has the ability to convey a dark and pessimistic view of life in poems that are interesting, I would say. Something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

SWATS..lol jk, rather jealous!! did ye have brilliant teachers??

Haha yeah I do. But I did Macbeth for Junior Cert too so it's fairly etched into my brain at this stage!

lc_2013 wrote: »
    Also people and places with style !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭200c200c

Just wondering is anyone else worried for geography ? :/ I've had a seriously bad teacher for 5 years and I'm so un-prepared ..And also talk of the questions getting harder this year scares me :( Any tips anyone ? I always have trouble understanding the question.. Geography will be my worst subject !!

Advertisement