Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2013 Predictions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lc_2013

ray2012 wrote: »
    That he has the ability to convey a dark and pessimistic view of life in poems that are interesting, I would say. Something along those lines.

Thanks. And also wondering, when you're answering poetry questions, do you go through each poem explaining why it has reference to whatever the title may be (ex. Mahon's dark view of life) or do you make your point and then back it up with reference/quotes from a poem? Not really sure about the structure of answering lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

What I hate about geography is that you always get questions you want to answer...but they're never the same question! I always get a part A & B I love and clueless for part C :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

lc_2013 wrote: »
    Thanks. And also wondering, when you're answering poetry questions, do you go through each poem explaining why it has reference to whatever the title may be (ex. Mahon's dark view of life) or do you make your point and then back it up with reference/quotes from a poem? Not really sure about the structure of answering lol

It's the hardest skill in the leaving cert I think to write a good poetry essay, because straight up analysis isn't good enough, you have to engage with the poem and express opinions.

The way I intend to answer on Thursday, is to answer the question and talk about my interpretation of the poem and poetic techniques all in one block. I hope it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Toblerone123

I prefer to analyse the poems one by one and relate each one to the title of the question and then, in my conclusion, say the overall effect of their poetry on me and my opinion etc

matTNT wrote: »
    It's the hardest skill in the leaving cert I think to write a good poetry essay, because straight up analysis isn't good enough, you have to engage with the poem and express opinions.

The way I intend to answer on Thursday, is to answer the question and talk about my interpretation of the poem and poetic techniques all in one block. I hope it works.

It's been so long since I've answered one, I can't even think at the moment. That'll be tough, how many points/paragraphs will you be making/doing?

• Advertisement

I prefer to analyse the poems one by one and relate each one to the title of the question and then, in my conclusion, say the overall effect of their poetry on me and my opinion etc

Do you find that way more affective results wise? How many poems do you analyse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

With a question like that (Mahon's dark view of life), I would do it almost poem by poem. I would find it pretty confusing if I did it the other way, but everyone is different.

If it was more of a theme question for a poet like Shakespeare, let's say, the question is that "He explores the themes of love, death and time superbly" or something, I would do that type of question with a point and then back up with reference from a range of different sonnets.

It really depends on the question and the person whether they want to do it poem-by-poem or else sort of have a point and identify quotes to support that. The latter would flow better and may get a better mark in the end, but for some questions it's just too confusing to do it that way, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

Bonbon1995 wrote: »
    This is gonna sound so stupid prob..but ya features of erosion.. that could be coastal or glacial or rivers so why bother learning all the chaps and just focus on one?? Will they ask a specific sort of erosion??

I've been trying to figure out the same thing! I reckon I'll give a quick look over coastal and glacial to cover myself for the short questions and study a fluvial erosion and deposition feature in detail. Although do ye reckon 2 features of erosion will appear?

AndreaEgan wrote: »
    I've been trying to figure out the same thing! I reckon I'll give a quick look over coastal and glacial to cover myself for the short questions and study a fluvial erosion and deposition feature in detail. Although do ye reckon 2 features of erosion will appear?

they'll never ask for specifics, fluvial/glacial/coastal are all optional they can only ask for a feature of f/g/c and you choose

With a question like that (Mahon's dark view of life), I would do it almost poem by poem. I would find it pretty confusing if I did it the other way, but everyone is different.

If it was more of a theme question for a poet like Shakespeare, let's say, the question is that "He explores the themes of love, death and time superbly" or something, I would do that type of question with a point and then back up with reference from a range of different sonnets.

It really depends on the question and the person whether they want to do it poem-by-poem or else sort of have a point and identify quotes to support that. The latter would flow better and may get a better mark in the end, but for some questions it's just too confusing to do it that way, I think.

Thank you Ray, you're a star! I'll just have to see how I feel about the question on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

peekachoo wrote: »
    they'll never ask for specifics, fluvial/glacial/coastal are all optional they can only ask for a feature of f/g/c and you choose
    Savage..i HATE GLACIAL..never got my head round it!! just know the airete and **** for the sq's ! I NEED A/ B :(((((

Thank you Ray, you're a star! I'll just have to see how I feel about the question on the day.

No problem! If Mahon comes up, I'd say it'll be a question similar to that. I can't see them going with the easy "distinctive style + people/places" question, which also was the q for him when he came up a few years back.

No problem! If Mahon comes up, I'd say it'll be a question similar to that. I can't see them going with the easy "distinctive style + people/places" question, which also was the q for him when he came up a few years back.
    RAY DONT SAY THAT...

Do you find that way more affective results wise? How many poems do you analyse?

I find it easier because I personally hate English, I find it boring and unnecessary but I'm good at bulls***ting! :P
    I usually do all the poems we've done for that poet.. I've the question on Mahon I did in the mocks here and it's four pages long with 5 poems and I got 44/50

Savage..i HATE GLACIAL..never got my head round it!! just know the airete and **** for the sq's ! I NEED A/ B :(((((

yeah they come up on short qs a lot but that's it!
    hoping for the best here, 2011 was my dream geography paper :/

Ditto was lovely! Id love a MM process and human impact for the physical and then for regional like primary in Ireland and cultural in the sub :(

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

Perfect, thanks :) Yes! 2011 was an ideal paper!

I find it easier because I personally hate English, I find it boring and unnecessary but I'm good at bulls***ting! :P
    I usually do all the poems we've done for that poet.. I've the question on Mahon I did in the mocks here and it's four pages long with 5 poems and I got 44/50

Haha good job Toblerone, you did very well.
    I think I might have to go with the poem by poem analysis so

AndreaEgan wrote: »
    Perfect, thanks :) Yes! 2011 was an ideal paper!
    My boyfriend did it in 2011..constanly slags me..got a B3 with looking at it the night before!

Haha good job Toblerone, you did very well.
    I think I might have to go with the poem by poem analyse so

Don't take my word for it though that's just what I find easier :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Lcstudent2013

My geography teacher said 2012 was such a hard/bad paper that she thinks the person over the papers will do a relatively nice one this year to make sure numbers studying geography stay up. Hopefully that's right!

My boyfriend did it in 2011..constanly slags me..got a B3 with looking at it the night before!

My boyfriend also did it in 2011, didn't study for anything until day before and got 400 points...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mundungus portfolio

French diary entry or letter ideas? also can someone point me in the right direction for human elective geography please:confused:

RAY DONT SAY THAT...

Bet it'll be that type of question!

My boyfriend also did it in 2011, didn't study for anything until day before and got 400 points...
    hahahahaha mine too! are we with the same lad?? :O :P

hahahahaha mine too! are we with the same lad?? :O :P

I'm onto you.... knowing my luck I'd get 395 :(

I'm onto you.... knowing my luck I'd get 395 :(
    Same :( all I need is 430 and ill be on the tiles for a solid week!!

Same :( all I need is 430 and ill be on the tiles for a solid week!!

Oh really what do you want to do? I only need 390 but I'm aiming for mid 400s! :D

Oh really what do you want to do? I only need 390 but I'm aiming for mid 400s! :D
    Primary teaching in mary I or applied languages in UL :D.. wbu??:))

• Advertisement

international relations in DCU it's the only course I want if I don't get it I'll die.. there's something similar in UCD for 355 I think but really don't want to go there and be in a class with hundreds of people!!

Advertisement