Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2013 Predictions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Leahxo

I think Plath or Bishop will come up, but not together. They always have a female poet! Plath, Bishop and Mahon are the three I'll know inside out. Oh and Adrienne Rich... she's been on the paper three times since 2008 so. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

I don't know where people have got the idea that a female poet has to come up every year, it is NOT true , nothing has to come up

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Leahxo

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    I don't know where people have got the idea that a female poet has to come up every year, it is NOT true , nothing has to come up

Since I think this is directed at me because of my post.... I never said a female poet HAS to come up, I said a female poet always seems to come up - which, it does. Not like I'm preaching "JUST STUDY A FEMALE POET AND YOU'LL BE GRAND - THEY'RE GUARANTEED TO COME UP!", so. x

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Daleyford

Here are some tips I've been given..
    English : Macbeth - theme of kingship, Shakespeare in the poetry as well as Wordsworth
    Irish - Tir na nOg to come up and all about the "bealoidis" .. also watch out in the oral , the modh coinniollach can be quite difficult according to the scrudaitheoir;; one girl got asked how would she make a cup of tea! also for the paper "teen suicide or cyber bullying" may come up
    German - teacher believes bullying in one form or another will come up
    Geography - teacher believes the demographic transition model MAY come up as a 30 mark question.. also for the regional section it appears a majority of the questions have become VERY specific
    History - the show trials of russia may come up as a whole 100 marker!
    Music - its about time Barry came up as question 1 isn't it.. unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Daleyford wrote: »
    Music - its about time Barry came up as question 1 isn't it.. unfortunately

Why does it have to be us!! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Daleyford

Why does it have to be us!! :(

CRUEL i know.. bad enough having to listen to him at all:'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I would've died for Barry Q.1 on our Leaving Cert. last year <3. Some chuneeeee.. You'll eventually learn to love it! Well.. not the C parts, but most of it's class! B1, B1, D1, F+C8, G and H are fairly class to be honest <3

I would've died for Barry Q.1 on our Leaving Cert. last year <3. Some chuneeeee.. You'll eventually learn to love it! Well.. not the C parts, but most of it's class! B1, B1, D1, F+C8, G and H are fairly class to be honest <3

But my teacher insists they'll probably examine the C parts this year, especially if it's a Q1! D=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

But my teacher insists they'll probably examine the C parts this year, especially if it's a Q1! D=

C1 is ok though? And you know C4 is the Homage á Horowitz section (only section with solo instrument: piano). C9 is very similar to the 'Love theme' from the Romeo/Juliet overture at the beginning.

There's loads of different ways to differentiate even the C sections in your mind, so important to listen to it all the time though! Even if you're just revising notes!

C1 is ok though? And you know C4 is the Homage á Horowitz section (only section with solo instrument: piano). C9 is very similar to the 'Love theme' from the Romeo/Juliet overture at the beginning.

There's loads of different ways to differentiate even the C sections in your mind, so important to listen to it all the time though! Even if you're just revising notes!

I knew I wasn't the only one that thought C9 had a tchaikovsky sort of sound to it! :D

Yeah, our teacher has been trying to give us little hints like that as we go but he's not reliable tbh. He keeps insisting we've covered Queen when all he's ever done is hand out a bundle of notes of listen to it once in class! I will familiarise myself with Barry a bit more, it's becoming less irritating every time I listen to it! =P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 HotChocolate.1

There doesn't seem to be any thread on here yet so i said I'd start one. Does anyone have any ideas/guesses what's going to come up in the leaving 2013, from reading past exam papers it's easy enough to gage a relatively good guess.! So these are the subjects I'm doing, all HL except maths (because I'm terrible at maths); English, Irish, Maths, History, Economics, Home Ec, Biology and L.C.V.P :-) History and Economics are probably my favourites but I like Home-ec too :) My aim for the leaving is 500 points, I hope to study general nursing in UL next year.! I'm not by any means a genius I just work really really hard but I'm still finding it a struggle :( I'm currently half way through my mocks which are going well for the most part :) I don't want this thread to be about only studying a couple of things from each subject because that's way too risky but maybe topics to focus your attention on more than others :)
    So that's me, any help or study advice/notes would be greatly appreciated, I'll try my best to keep up with this thread and post as often as I can :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Cardozo

there is a thread for this already :P but any way.. i've a feeling that at least 2 of plath mahon and bishop will come up in english

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There doesn't seem to be any thread on here yet so i said I'd start one. <snip>:)

Looks like you didn't search.
    Threads merged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭inthezone

I honestly enjoy Plath's poetry so much, and she seems due up... but I can't help imagining the department doing another 'nah, just screwing with ya, mwahaha' on students with her again this year. I can study her poetry with such ease but I'm too scared to bank on anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 HotChocolate.1

spurious wrote: »

Looks like you didn't search.
    Threads merged.

I did search and couldn't fine one hence the 'look likes'

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Petermt

Lads just because Plath didnt come up last year it doesn't mean that she will come up this year. Its up to them whether they want her on this year. Personally I feel that if she does come up this year the question will be VERY HARD, again trying to catch out those who are only going to study her.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭stew.z.ger

Are their any Irish predictions??? I am studying Irish at home... I sat the LC 10 years ago so any bit of assistance would be grateful =)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Found This Fork Sir

I might be wrong, but I'm think that there was a year before with no female poets at all, and there's nothing to stop them making it all male poets to throw us off anyways. I'm going to tryyyy to learn 3 or 4 in detail, and a fifth as a backup because you really don't know how it could go on the day. Imagine the feeling if you go into the exam and your poet doesn't come up :l

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

What are your predictions for Maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

fontdor wrote: »
    What are your predictions for Maths?

You'll have to learn everything for maths! There's no way to predict a brand new exam, especially when you can't pick and choose the questions like before. At least this year the paper is very likely to be marked easier :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

borrch wrote: »
    You'll have to learn everything for maths! There's no way to predict a brand new exam, especially when you can't pick and choose the questions like before. At least this year the paper is very likely to be marked easier :)

I hope it is marked easier. I hate paper 2 know nothing in it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 RockyRob

Please someone help! Im struggling with Irish but I need to pass higher. What am I supposed to study for the prose and poetry??? My teacher doesnt give any notes, just goes through fiuntas..Do I really need ALL that?? :O

Is there specific headings for higher level?

HELP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ellenkc

I do think Plath is likely this year, but I'm avoiding her like the plague. I've always found Mahon the easiest to write on, aside from Rich, and Wordsworth seems pretty likely too.
    Maths will be marked very easily I'd say. I've heard from a few teachers that the pass rate last year was up in the high 90's . I'm just thanking my lucky stars that I'm in a pilot school, because they have to make us look good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

Does anyone think coras oideachais will come up for Irish as it was on three of the mock papers but I know they are completely seperate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Does anyone think coras oideachais will come up for Irish as it was on three of the mock papers but I know they are completely seperate?

My Irish teacher said her friend who is also an Irish teacher predicts the essay titles spot on every single year and has tipped An Coras Oideachais this year. Take from that what you will. :p I hope she's right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

RockyRob wrote: »
    Please someone help! Im struggling with Irish but I need to pass higher. What am I supposed to study for the prose and poetry??? My teacher doesnt give any notes, just goes through fiuntas..Do I really need ALL that?? :O

Is there specific headings for higher level?

HELP!!

First of all, your Irish standard doesn't need to be as good as it is in Fiuntas. :P For the prose for example, as far as I know, all the marks are going for your knowledge of the poem/poet, and 0 marks for your actually language. It's similar for the prose, but I think there might be 10 marks or something for language, but the rest for knowledge.

You do kind of have to know what's wrote in the book like athrá for example in some poems. If it's in the book, you should learn it, but of course put it into your own Irish. The standard in the book is unnecessarily far too high! It's a similar story for the prose.

For the essay, make sure you know your vocab and grammar fairly inside out! A lot of marks here for language, so it's vital if you want to do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭study13

hey guys i really need help in economics
    i just picked it up this year (as im repeating) and im just wondering is learning just micro inside out get me a B ??
    thank you

study13 wrote: »
    hey guys i really need help in economics
    I just picked it up this year (as im repeating) and im just wondering is learning just micro inside out get me a B ??
    thank you

no... they often only ask 3 micro for long questions that would be a quarter of the long questions you wouldn't know, because we only do 4. they also ask macro in short questions which could be up to half the short questions you never know ,i don't think thats enough to get a b and this is also presuming you did brilliant in all the micro questions you answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭study13

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    no... they often only ask 3 micro for long questions that would be a quarter of the long questions you wouldn't know, because we only do 4. they also ask macro in short questions which could be up to half the short questions you never know ,i don't think thats enough to get a b and this is also presuming you did brilliant in all the micro questions you answer.

thank you for the reply
    what chapters would you advice me to study to get a B in economics

• Advertisement

study13 wrote: »
    thank you for the reply
    what chapters would you advice me to study to get a B in economics

Well still know all micro really well! i'm pretty sure they can never ask less than 3 micro long questions , so prepare to answer 3 and if your lucky there could be 4, if not you don't need to know the whole macro course , i would pick a few of the most common ones say national income/debt , international trade or another , check the papers for which topics came up most often in the last 10 years. I would also ask your teacher. For short questions - you will know all micro then again prepare the most common macro ones , go over the papers and also your book, go through each chapter and pick out important definitions , know all calculations for micro and macro, this is just my advise :) good luck

Advertisement