Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2013 Predictions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 LukeF96

Kerbstone wrote: »
    Could you tell me the Van Gogh question that came up in your mock please?? Degas came up in mine!

I cant remember but I just talked about his life and then 2 of his paintings.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Glitt_123

guys please tell me ill be fine with theme and issue (no CC or LG :S ), for poetry plath, hopkins, mahon and wordsworth. and for macbeth kingship, deception, appeal to 21st century and drama in the play.
    i would like to do more but really i cant seem to fit anymore in, there's hardly any time left :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Lads I'm in serious trouble with regional geography, Im ok with the physical,economic and geoecology but I have really neglected the regional section. What is everyone focusing on for that section?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cassie2013

Does anyone have any decent bishop notes ? Or sample answers my notes for her are crap and I'd really appreciate If someone could send some notes my way

• Registered Users Posts: 23 mary189

Hey guys, I've had a really bad teacher for the last 2 years and I'm revising geography and seriously need help. Can anyone tell me the main points to focus on in physical, regional, and human geography. Also, if any of your teachers have hinted to what's likely to appear can you share them?

Major panick going on.... :(

HELP PLEASE!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lc_2013

I just finished reading Macbeth there, let alone finished studying it. In desperate need of key points to discuss for any type of question. Gaaaaahhhhhh help!!

If anyone could pm me anything I will be eternally grateful

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gretog

I'm not doing art and architecture, I'm doin Athens at War (2 questions), Greek drama - Oedipus and Medea (2 questions probably), The Odyssey (stand alone question) and the Republic (probably one but maybe 2 if one of the drama questions is minging :P) are you doing any of those? if so I'll give you my predictions

Ahh I see, we're doing Oedipus and medea, and the odysessey, but to be honest I dont intend doign Oedipus because we also Prometheus bound so im hoping to answer a Q on that instead,

Do you have any predictions for the odyessey?

My friend was telling me that for medea the role of creon and aegeus, the final scene, the role of children and ambition are all likely. Classics is so dense I wish it was on the last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rachfinn

EvM wrote: »
    Maybe Wordsworth or Shakespeare?

i think ill go with shakespeare. i know the poets are only worth 50marks but getting the paper i will probably open it straight to the last section. If theres no poets i know ill have to do really well in my other sections :cool: :(

I know a lot of people think English P1 isnt something you can study, but if I was to start doing anything now this evening to prepare what would people recommend?

Ive already started preparing short story ideas on things like an unexpected incident and other vague things etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rachfinn

Gretog wrote: »
    I know a lot of people think English P1 isnt something you can study, but if I was to start doing anything now this evening to prepare what would people recommend?

Ive already started preparing short story ideas on things like an unexpected incident and other vague things etc
    http://leavingcertenglish.net/ is amazing! a lot of good tips for P1 and know various styles of writing and what to look out for
    1. argumentative/persuasive
    2. descriptive
    3. humour
    4. aesthetic
    4. discursive
    5. speech

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

Gretog wrote: »

Look over the different features of each language and do not forget about the effect each feature has. Try to develop a word bank of describing words to use. Study the various different layouts for article, letters, diary entries, obituaries, etc.

And most importantly, if look through the first few pages of (most) the English papers, there should be exam guidelines. It's vital you read through these as they contain time-guidelines and how to answer questions. GOOD LUCK!!

rachfinn wrote: »
    http://leavingcertenglish.net/ is amazing! a lot of good tips for P1 and know various styles of writing and what to look out for
    1. argumentative/persuasive
    2. descriptive
    3. humour
    4. aesthetic
    4. discursive
    5. speech
    SecondMan wrote: »
    Look over the different features of each language and do not forget about the effect each feature has. Try to develop a word bank of describing words to use. Study the various different layouts for article, letters, diary entries, obituaries, etc.

And most importantly, if look through the first few pages of (most) the English papers, there should be exam guidelines. It's vital you read through these as they contain time-guidelines and how to answer questions. GOOD LUCK!!

Thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TALKER92

why is it tomoro i cant do this

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

I feel nervous and nauseous after reading the last page of the thread, why tomorrow? I just need a few more days... *and breathe*

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Keith96

buyer95 wrote: »
    Lads I'm in serious trouble with regional geography, Im ok with the physical,economic and geoecology but I have really neglected the regional section. What is everyone focusing on for that section?
    If you cant learn it all try at least to now the basics,one region from Ireland,one region from europe and a sub-continental region.Its a risk but you might get lucky :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

cassie2013 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any decent bishop notes ? Or sample answers my notes for her are crap and I'd really appreciate If someone could send some notes my way

My proper notes for Bishop are all over the place but basically,
    - Format, most of her poems have a statement and a moment of revelation,
    - Personal, how she was an alcoholic/her first experience with death etc
    - Poet of her time
    - Strong imagery
    - Everything to the point (apparently she used to write all the words of her poems on sticky notes and then take out the words that weren't absolutely 100% necessary for the poem to make sense :p )
    - Humour - quite a sort of dry and slightly scornful perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,706 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I've studied Bishop, Plath, bits and pieces of Rich and Mahon (not finished), Macbeth's tyranny and it's effect of Scotland, do you feel sympathy for Macbeth, then my comparative I've gone through Religion, Role of the mother, Father figure. Think I'll be able to get away with it all, really hoping for Bishop in the form of imagery, then the Macbeth's tyranny and it's effect on Scotland or the sympathy for Macbeth, and then the cultural context for the comparative in the form 'how does it affect the main characters?'

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lc_2013

Want a B3 minimum in English so not happening </3

• Registered Users Posts: 19 AoifeAoife

study13 wrote: »
    aha six or seven pages :eek: damn no wonder i didnt do that good in english last year all i did was four pages or even three :/ id love to kill that teacher that told us three to four is good :mad:

I always write 4-5 pages and get As fairly consistently. I would say three pages is a bit short, but four pages of succinct details would more than suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

Is everyone studying for paper 2 right now?
    and should I,

A) Make a steak and onion sandwich

B) Write a composition (at this hour?)

C) learn quotes for Thursday

if a mod could do a poll that'd be great, cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

Is everyone studying for paper 2 right now?
    and should I,

A) Make a steak and onion sandwich

B) Write a composition (at this hour?)

C) learn quotes for Thursday

if a mod could do a poll that'd be great, cheers

Make a sandwich and learn some quotes while you eat it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭The Pheasant

Thataone wrote: »
    Make a sandwich and learn some quotes while you eat it ;)

Hmmm I like your style kid - you're hired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭SecondMan

If you know all quotes in 4 poems of Plath, Bishop and Mahon and know what the poems are about, should you be okay if a question did come up on one of them? And what, in your opinion, is the chance of one of these poets coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Toblerone123

Im doing those three as well I'm sure that at least one of them will come up! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

How many pages should my essay be tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭barry194

4 1/2 to 5 will be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 36 MusicChick94Xx

depends on how good of a writer you are, quality is better than quantity but 4-6 pages should be sufficient

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

Just remember, its quality over quantity but I would go for at least 4! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 django 123

which would you say is the more prominent theme in macbeth deception or appearance vs reality? can't decide which one to learn!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

django 123 wrote: »
    which would you say is the more prominent theme in macbeth deception or appearance vs reality? can't decide which one to learn!

Are they not both pretty similar? :)

Advertisement