Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2013 Predictions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kev44

for English I'll know Plath, Bishop and Wordsworth inside out... i doubt Rich will come up again but ya never know so might study her too.
    and for the irish aiste im praying for something like social problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

kev44 wrote: »
    for English I'll know Plath, Bishop and Wordsworth inside out... i doubt Rich will come up again but ya never know so might study her too.

so what if none of those 4 come up?
    i know you said you will know those inside out.. so i hope you mean you will know some other not as well as a back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

In relation to English, since there's always at least one Irish poet on, and there's technically only two Irish poets on the course this year, Mahon and Kinsella... Could they not put Kinsella on again? I know he was up last year, but in fairness, Mahon has been up more than Kinsella. This could be this year's curveball from the department :confused:

does anyone know has a poet ever come up 2 years in a row before?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭comeclosa

does anyone know has a poet ever come up 2 years in a row before?

Yes. Our teacher made out a table of poets that have come up, all the way back to 2003. Plath was up 2003, 2004. Yeats was up 2010, 2011

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

comeclosa wrote: »
    Yes. Our teacher made out a table of poets that have come up, all the way back to 2003. Plath was up 2003, 2004. Yeats was up 2010, 2011

Personally for English I reckon Wordsworth, Kinsella, Rich, and Hopkins will be up, (yes I realise 2 of those came up last year, that's why I reckon they'll be on again, SEC and their crazy ways :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭AndreaEgan

Regardless of what way you look at English this year you can't help but think 'no, maybe the department will throw in the curve ball this year and put ... on'. I'm not sure about Plath seen as last year everyone was banking on her and she never appeared, but it is her 40th anniversary this year so you never know. However if she does come up majority of the country is going to attempt her. I will know Mahon & Bishop inside out I reckon. I know the mocks aren't anything to go by but Mahon, Bishop, Plath and Wordsworth featured.

I wonder if the Department enjoy knowing that we are here quivering at the thought of a curveball..
    As for myself, I know it's not good to speculate and predict but Wordsworth doesn't feature in my papers at all (except for sample papers) as far as I could see (maybe I was a little tired)
    My teacher has done five poets with us but I really don't care for Shakespeare.
    I will hopefully be going into the exam knowing: Plath, Mahon, Hopkins and Wordsworth inside out. I would prefer Plath or Mahon though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

For the Irish essays , I think something about the future of the Irish Language will crop up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

I am fully confident that if you know Bishop, Mahon and Plath inside out you will get at least one question out of them and likely two. I would also highly doubt that Rich will come up again.

I think one of Wordsworth and Shakespeare will come up, but not both.

Anyone care to have a go at predicting Macbeth?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

HugsiePie wrote: »
    Personally for English I reckon Wordsworth, Kinsella, Rich, and Hopkins will be up, (yes I realise 2 of those came up last year, that's why I reckon they'll be on again, SEC and their crazy ways :P)

I hope your prediction is completely wrong! I'd have only Hopkins done from those, and he's my worst poet out of all!

for macbeth id like to see a question on kingship

for macbeth id like to see a question on kingship

I want a question on the Witches, favourite character(s) in the whole play! :D

ray2012 wrote: »
    I hope your prediction is completely wrong! I'd have only Hopkins done from those, and he's my worst poet out of all!

Personally I hope it's wrong too, I just feel like the English dept. of the SEC like being really........obscure. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

I'll be studying:

Sylvia Plath
    Elizabeth Bishop
    Derek Mahon

Back ups: Adrienne Rich and Shakespeare/Kinsella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

All my teachers have told us along the way the departments takes into account the press reactions to the papers. Eg a physics paper one year was to find the speed of a bullet. There was up road as the department were seen as promoting violence. A gun question has never came up since.

Also with English there is generally a female poet as the department needs to show equality. Plus generally a Irish peot to show its promoting Irish culture Or some BS like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭lennyloulou

Any tips form ur teachers about what topics due for Hons?
    marriage and eggs
    elective- special needs and poverty
    that's what we think

study everything! :) honestly.. i think home ec is the most unpredictable subject on the leaving cert , they don't go by patterns so don't try to make one, i do get that you want to focus more on certain areas so yea i heard poverty too , lipids,micro biology but don't look into it too much ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Any tips form ur teachers about what topics due for Hons?
    marriage and eggs
    elective- special needs and poverty
    that's what we think

I would agree with the poster below learn everything! My gut is q4 household technology. I think microbiology could come up for q2/3 and lipids for q1. A special diet for q2 but again not guaranteed (make sure you know correct menu format and include drink!) Please learn all of your elective it is worth the same marks as your journal! Practice practice practice q1 a's as there is a knack to getting full marks! Again I would just like to say don't bank on predictions learn everything the sec do what they want! And even put up questions that are incorrect! E.g 2009 q1 quorn and vegans!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 MrCraigButler

I think it is coming to the time of the year where people begin to post their predictions on what they think will appear on the paper in June , i know the examiners are trying to trick us out by trying to make the exams as unpredictable as possible , but it it still achievable to predict things.
    I for one feel Nazi Propaganda or Technology of Warfare will show up on the Dictatorship section in History

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

Plath for dayyyyys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

There's already a thread for predictions MCB, merged the two. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭thegreatescape

From reading through the exam papers, a female poet has come up every year and the only three females on the course for this year are Plath, Rich and Bishop. Personally I'm banking on Plath and Rich to come up. (Or hoping would be the better word)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Gr8loolz

Art History anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭FrankLamar

Would I be safe enough just learning Plath, Mahon and Wordsworth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Gr8loolz wrote: »
    Art History anyone?

you can really never predict art history. Besides you answer 3 questions out of 21, you don't need to predict! :P

FrankLamar wrote: »
    Would I be safe enough just learning Plath, Mahon and Wordsworth?

NO... that is 3, there is 8 on the course , the other 5 could easily come up, you need to learn 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭11Charlie11

I went to a grinds school for Easter and the home ec teacher thinks that this years Q1 will be on lipids. Again it's only a guess do don't rely on it too much!

I went to a grinds school for Easter and the home ec teacher thinks that this years Q1 will be on lipids. Again it's only a guess do don't rely on it too much!

It makes sense if you look at past papers patterns to be lipids but they are always trying to reduce predictability so i would just study everything equally then maybe spend a little extra time on lipds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

I for one feel Nazi Propaganda or Technology of Warfare will show up on the Dictatorship section in History
    My history predictions:

Nazi Propaganda/Nazi State

Land Question/1886 General Election

1913 Strike and Lockout/Anglo Irish Treaty

That's all I'm studying from the 100 mark essays, I might add one to the dictatorships and democracies section like Italian Fascism but I hate studying Britain and France.

Advertisement