Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stroller advice please

Options
  • 06-08-2012 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

I purchased a stroller from a well known pram shop over the weekend for our baby as we're going on holidays in October so didn't want to bring our bulky travel system. I've just read the instructions which don't specify what age the child should be for its use, but I've gone onto the shop's website, and the stroller is recommended there for children over 6 months, our child will be four months when we will need to use it.

Do I have any comeback? I told the sales assistant what we needed the stroller for and what age baby was. I'm happy with the stroller, but is it safe to put a four month old in a strolled meant for a baby aged six+ months? What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

I'd say legally they don't have to do anything, but if they have good customer service they ought to let you change it for something else in store.

The guidelines for recommended ages are just that, guidelines. Some strong babies will be grand sitting up in a buggy that suggests an older age, some won't.

Can the one you have recline flat for sleeping? I think thats one of the main things the guidelines are based on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You just bought it and probably still have the receipt and packaging.. just bring it straight back. You are allowed change your mind, same as with a pair of shoes or anything else.

The six months is usually to allow for the babies neck muscles to be strong enough, the stroller must be a sitting up one is it? If it can go flat, then you are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah, if it lys flat its fine for 4 months, if not I wouldnt put a baby under 6 months in it at all. I tried raising the seat up to about 45 degrees at the weekend for my 6 month old and he just kept slumping to one side, so he be mostly flat for another few weeks.

The shop doesnt have to exchange it for you, but they probably will. I dont think you could argue it was mis-sold to you, unless the baby's age was specifically mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Thanks all!

The stroller reclines fully flat, which is one of the big reasons we bought it. Our baby has a very strong head/neck and has been holding her head up since birth, everyone comments on this! So I think we should be okay. The sales assistant put the stroller together for us and disposed of the packaging so I'm not sure if they'd take it back, but on the other hand we told her exactly what age the baby would be when we would need to use it, and bought the stroller on her recommendation. I think I'll give the shop a call just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

O, its unusual then that the buggy says 6months plus. What make is it? Did the give you the manual for it? If not you can usually get one on mothercare.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

If it reclines fully flat, then I would assume that it's suitable from birth:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

If it reclines fully flat, then I would assume that it's suitable from birth:confused:

That would have been my understanding too, as typically one's designated for older children tend not to recline flat.
    It sounds more like an error on the website - maybe no harm mailing them for clarification & peace of mind?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Hmm, bit of a funny one this! The Mothercare website says its suitable from three months, the other (Tony Kealy, where we bought it) says six months. Then from Google I came across a demo which says its suitable from birth! So I'm thinking it'll be fine for us, baby is quite lively and already holding her head up quite well, and she'll be four months by the time we travel. I am going to give the shop a call though, just to get the information across.

Oh, and it reclines, not quite fully but very far back. I think baby will be fine for quick naps in it as she'd be lying almost flat in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

pwurple wrote: »
    You just bought it and probably still have the receipt and packaging.. just bring it straight back. You are allowed change your mind, same as with a pair of shoes or anything else.

You're incorrect in your advice.
    If nothing is wrong with the item then they have no obligation to take it back.
    Its good customer service only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You're right tantraska. I didn't mean to imply it was the law, but it is usually the way these shops behave. Especially as we know now it is Tony Kealy's. They are always very good with returns in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I got a stroller for my lil one and was using it from approx 3 months with a head support cushion, like yourself i said it to the woman in the shop where i bought it how young my daughter was and she helped pick it and i got the head support cushion on ebay. she is now nearly 15 weeks and i took the head support off as can compleatly hold her head and her head just doesnt fit in it anymore so by the time your using it, it will prob be fine.

Advertisement