Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

YouTube app removed from latest iOS 6 beta

• 06-08-2012 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/08/apple-confirms-native-youtube-app-is-going-bye-bye-in-ios-6/
    Developers first began discovering the absence of the native YouTube app after Apple released an update to the iOS 6 beta on Monday afternoon. It wasn't immediately clear why YouTube wasn't included as part of iOS 6 Beta 4, but Apple later issued a statement to the Verge confirming its intent.

"Our license to include the YouTube app in iOS has ended, customers can use YouTube in the Safari browser and Google is working on a new YouTube app to be on the App Store," the company said.

Apple continuing to push Google out, or backlash for the Maps move?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

TBH I won't miss it...

m.youtube.com works fine... The app was very basic anyway, it didn't even suggest anything while searching, really bad

So it's a big MEH from me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

the context switches always annoyed the hell out of me only to be told "you cannot view this video"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I like the app though. It was handier and easier to use than the mobile version.

But I will say that anything youtube, be it the main site, app or mobile site is terrible for sending comments and the rest. That's what annoys me most tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

This is great news for iOS users, Google will (hopefully) create a much much better app in its place. The same for google Maps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Hate he YouTube app especially when you click a linkin safari and it takes you off to the app.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Regardless of how you feel about Google, this should have happened ages ago. The built-in Apple YouTube app made sense in the early pre-App Store days, but now that anyone can develop an app for iOS, it's better for all concerned that Google release and maintain their own app rather than Apple doing it on their behalf. The app wasn't very good anyway and most people would probably use the mobile site if the system didn't keep redirecting them to the app. Users really only stand to gain from this development. The replacement of Google Maps with Apple's own mapping solution is a far bigger deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I never thought it was that bad on the iPad.

While I see the potential in this decision, all I have to do is look at the Gmail app and the terribleness it is.

Basically:
    Google Earth - Ok
    Google Mail - Awful
    Google + - Took a year to become anything more than a glorified web-app with notifications stuck on.
    Google Chrome - Ok, bit slower, sync is temperamental, needs work.
    Google Search - Useless (I don't really see a need for it).

Haven't used any other apps from Google though, found a few I never knew existed here.

YouTube is the kind of thing that people get really passionate about, after all its a living for a lot of people. I'd hate to see Google mess it up on iOS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Not really surprised by this, Apple & Google's relationship has been strained for a very long time now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Youtube app on the iPhone is useless but the iPad one isn't too bad. Mainly just for subscribed channels though. The search is pretty much a waste of time, as are the top viewed and most popular video sections.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

App is crap for searching, crap for sharing to FB or Twitter and crap for links for posting online.

Completely new app is badly needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

On the plus side locations have been added to Siri!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Google are working on their own YouTube app. And Google Maps. I'm glad that Apple have removed the two. It just means Google has more control over the apps and can update with new features the same as Android phones. Plus if you don't like the apps you have the freedom to remove them. It's a win-win IMO. As long as Google stick to their word and get those two apps out quickly. Particularly Maps. I use it a lot and I know Apple's Maps won't be up to scratch in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,174 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Current app is just awful. No way to filter searches by date or time, Videos randomly coming up as "You do not have the required access to view this video" or just "Cannot open", no way to reduce quality of video so it'll load better and stop buffering. An update or a new app was badly needed. Hopefully Google can pull off something good

Advertisement