Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has McCarthys in Prosperous closed?

Options
  • 06-08-2012 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I've tried to get in there twice, last Sunday week and again today but the car park barriers were up and the place appeared to be closed. I know they were laying off staff a while back but have they finally closed for good?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Didn't a new franchise coffee shop/cafe opem in there fairly recently? Bad research on the owners of that if it is shut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Curlz24

Its still open,Just closed on Sunday due to lack of demand!
    Retail has been reduced in the store dramatically

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Curlz24 wrote: »
    Its still open,Just closed on Sunday due to lack of demand!
    Retail has been reduced in the store dramatically
    Yeah in there yesterday and they have a reduced floor space lay out but definitely open for business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

REdesigned floor space, looks like some bulky lines such as furniture / electricals, homeware & lighting gone, nearly everything else still there.

By the look of it, they will section off the front part from the maezzanine onwards and then try and rent that part & mezzanine to someone. Even if they can't rent that part, the fact it is empty will mean a very substantial saving on rates.

But still a very good selection of everything.

Looks like the fight for survival is over McCarthy's are in receivership and advert in sun biz post looking for buyer. Can't see one appearing in current climate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

sandin wrote: »
    Looks like the fight for survival is over McCarthy's are in receivership and advert in sun biz post looking for buyer. Can't see one appearing in current climate.
    I've heard rumours of this but online searches did not flag this. I was in there on thursday and was business(somwhat smaller I know) as usual. Sad if they do go, I know them pretty well and they are great to deal with but their timing was lousy making the jump to such a huge premises. I would imagine if they could turn the clock back they'd have stayed small and busy, like they once were.. edit - just checked again on Kavanagh Fennell, and a reciever has been appointed. Sorry to hear that.

Pottler wrote: »
    I've heard rumours of this but online searches did not flag this. I was in there on thursday and was business(somwhat smaller I know) as usual. Sad if they do go, I know them pretty well and they are great to deal with but their timing was lousy making the jump to such a huge premises. I would imagine if they could turn the clock back they'd have stayed small and busy, like they once were.. edit - just checked again on Kavanagh Fennell, and a reciever has been appointed. Sorry to hear that.

Receiver appointed, but the receivers are operating the store and trying to find a buyer for it.

From a fishing / hunting point of view, they had customers coming from 100miles + away, so possibly a new owner will emerge with a different look.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Wonder will that effect Kildare builder providers who were tied in with McCarthys somehow ???

Looks like a deal has been reached and McCarthy's will continue to trade.

Excellent news and thankfully receivers seem to have a little more interest in saving/restructuring good companies these days instead of simply stipping them and taking their fee.

Now lets all support LOCAL business in the run up to Christmas and help LOCAL jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

sandin wrote: »
    Looks like a deal has been reached and McCarthy's will continue to trade.

Excellent news and thankfully receivers seem to have a little more interest in saving/restructuring good companies these days instead of simply stipping them and taking their fee.

Now lets all support LOCAL business in the run up to Christmas and help LOCAL jobs.

If any one who is thinking of buying a Christmas present for the shooter / fisherman in their lives spent their money there it could mean that they will be there for seasons to come, Shop local, is feider linn !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Mayweee

If any one who is thinking of buying a Christmas present for the shooter / fisherman in their lives spent their money there it could mean that they will be there for seasons to come, Shop local, is feider linn !!!!
    Anyone know if the Christmas section
    Is open yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Mayweee wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Christmas section
    Is open yet??

I was in there on Wednesday & the Christmas section was been stocked up

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I was in there yesterday and the Christmas Shop was open..

It's great to see the place still going.. I hope they live to see another few years..

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭roroliam

just bought some christmas oil cloth, they have a great slection.

Advertisement