Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Hall songs of Dublin

Options
  • 06-08-2012 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭

Recently I've become very interested in the music hall songs of Dublin, such as those pertaining to Jimmy O'Dea, Maureen Potter and Micheal McLiammoir.

Many will be familiar with the songs relating to Biddy Mulligan, as an example, as featured in The Charladies' Ball.

Others will be familiar with classics such as "Thank Heavens we are living in Rathgar". Does anyone have any interesting examples or links (esp recordings) pertaining to this sort of music?

Dublin seems to have had a rich musical hall history, much of which was evidently inspirational to James Joyce.

Sadly, surprisingly little of it seems to have lived on into the digital era.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

It's a pity the dublin.ie forums where closed down. You would have got a big response to this.

I know someone who researched something similar recently, I'll get back to you if I find anything out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

All I know is that the very mention of maureen potter makes me want to kick face's

Advertisement