Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Facebook relationship etiquette

• 06-08-2012 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭

How long after a break up should someone change their relationship status on facebook?

I see this as the most trivial thing but today I was talking to a friend about breaking up with someone, and they instantly brought up this point about whether I had changed it yet.

Is it a big deal or was this person just making something out of nothing?

(Broke up with the person today, by the way, it's not like it was weeks/months ago and I'm still hanging onto it)

So AH, change to single right away, or wait a few days?

inb4 thinly veiled i was in a relationship thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Change it to married straight away is the done thing I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

change the relationship to another friend. cause some controversy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Why would anyone need advice on this.

Change it when you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Do it beforehand and save yourself a long awkward 'Dear John' talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Change it to married straight away is the done thing I believe.

That's what I've always done, and then added the profile of a young African boy as my other half.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

You change it to single now...

Then next week you change it to in a relationship :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Change it now, no point putting it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I don't put up my relationship status on Facebook very often, but if it is up, it depends on the break up. If it's full of uncertainty, I just change it when I'm sure of what's going on.

At the moment, I'm 'on a break' with the boyfriend due to some family issues he's having, so as I don't know wtf is going on really, I changed it to 'it's complicated.'

Really though, who gives a fúck what your Facebook relationship status is? I had mine as 'widowed' for about a year because IDGAF about my Facebook friends knowing my real relationships status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭zega

A week would seem fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Do it just before or after Katie Taylor's next fight and it'll get lost in all the 'come on Katie' status updates who've never watched boxing until today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Some couples seem to break up every two weeks for a day or two, if you fall into that bracket OP don't bother changing it until you've been broken up a bit longer than usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Just hide it and change it to single/visible whenever you feel the need to.

Also, sorry to hear about your breakup OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Well I imagine you should let your girlfriend/ boyfriend know they're dumped before you change the status.

And I don't get why people need to put their entire life story on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Delete you Facebook account,you wont have to worry about such stuff then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

From what I've seen, I believe the etiquette is to change your relationship status to single instantly and post a status saying "If u cnt hndle me @ my wrst, you dnt deserv me @ my bst."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I was hoping this would be about the over affectionate part.
    I LOVE YOU XXXXX
    LUV YOU TOO XXXXXX
    BEST BF EVAR XXXXXX
    NO BEST GF EVAR XXXXXXX
    Piss of and die you cnuts. Regular conversation fine but this sh!t :mad:

If you change it, be prepared for all your "friends" going awwww, nooooo, what happened, sorry to hear that, and all that jazz. I'm sure you can just hide it. Do that instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

brummytom wrote: »
    "If u cnt hndle me @ my wrst, you dnt deserv me @ my bst."

That one is nearly as bad as '** more sleeps'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Change it to single then post:

"You can never truly appreciate the highs of having sex with a woman until you've hit the lows of having sex with a tranny."

it will imply your ex has a little flaccid secret

If you change it, be prepared for all your "friends" going awwww, nooooo, what happened, sorry to hear that, and all that jazz. I'm sure you can just hide it. Do that instead.

It's much more entertaining to like it.

• Advertisement

brummytom wrote: »
    From what I've seen, I believe the etiquette is to change your relationship status to single instantly and post a status saying "If u cnt hndle me @ my wrst, you dnt deserv me @ my bst."

Followed by "miss sum1. wnt dem bak" about 15 minutes later

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭retroactive

First change your privacy settings so that no one see's your status, then change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

it was 7 months and no breaking up and getting back together stuff, asked another friend and a week was what she said. I'd say i'll just leave it be until she changes it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

That one is nearly as bad as '** more sleeps'.

Or lik dis if u've got krabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Reginald99

One of my favorite frapes is to change relationship status to single and then back in a relationship. Stirs up so much gossip.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

I was hoping this would be about the over affectionate part.
    I LOVE YOU XXXXX
    LUV YOU TOO XXXXXX
    BEST BF EVAR XXXXXX
    NO BEST GF EVAR XXXXXXX
    Piss of and die you cnuts. Regular conversation fine but this sh!t :mad:
    I know a couple who regularly tag themselves in restaurants so they can have a discussion on Facebook about the menu, the food etc.
    STFU & speak to each other across the table like normal people.

Reginald99 wrote: »
    One of my favorite frapes is to change relationship status to single and then back in a relationship. Stirs up so much gossip.

You must have some dull friends...

I know a couple who regularly tag themselves in restaurants so they can have a discussion on Facebook about the menu, the food etc.
    STFU & speak to each other across the table like normal people.

Kill them. Kill them now

it was 7 months and no breaking up and getting back together stuff, asked another friend and a week was what she said. I'd say i'll just leave it be until she changes it

I think you're safe to change it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

Sensible thing is to just remove it, so none of that crap of " BETTER OFF WITHOUT HIM HUN " "No wayyy xxx "

Nothing is a lot more mysterrrrrrrrious ;)

Also dont understand the " RIP nan, this day 4 years ago xxxxxxx"
    Keep that **** off facebook, jeez.

CavanCrew wrote: »

Also dont understand the " RIP nan, this day 4 years ago xxxxxxx"
    Keep that **** off facebook, jeez.

I don't mind those quite so much. I have a friend though, who is obsessed with FB, a 35 yo man. One of my oldest friends. I'd say he has 500-600 "friends". He posted one day that he and his wife were going in for their first baby scan. He posted later whilst sitting in the hospital that they had just been told their baby has a serious heart defect. His closest friends and his family found out on Facebook along with his other 480 friends. What the hell like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I don't mind those quite so much. I have a friend though, who is obsessed with FB, a 35 yo man. One of my oldest friends. I'd say he has 500-600 "friends". He posted one day that he and his wife were going in for their first baby scan. He posted later whilst sitting in the hospital that they had just been told their baby has a serious heart defect. His closest friends and his family found out on Facebook along with his other 480 friends. What the hell like?

If he "checked in" at the hospital then that is unforgivable.

On a serious note, horrible to hear about his baby. Hope its doing OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

OP: I am sorry to hear your news! Just change your status as soon as. Be easier all around I would say.

FB and the assoaciated online lark can be cringe-worthy!.

Some of what hits my FB newsfeed just should not be there. I've had people, both at dinner tagging each other there while there and speaking about the ambience :confused: I've had people go from single-relationship-complicated-maried-single all for attention! I tend to block their news-feeds for awhile though and check in on them when I think of them after they go through those '1st world problems'.

OP: You can always just not do anything with that section of your profile and not update or save your settings and not have them public. Just because you may be asked to change your settings doesn't mean you have to ;)

Just do what you feel comfortable with, but I would suggest you change it to single for your own sake and not her something to be talking about (in the event she may) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

TBH if my relationship just broke down, the least of my worries would be my FB relationship status. What age are you op?

Knex. wrote: »
    If he "checked in" at the hospital then that is unforgivable.

On a serious note, horrible to hear about his baby. Hope its doing OK.

Yep. He checked in!

Baby is nearly 2 now and perfect after a few little heart operations, poor mite. Thanks :)

• Advertisement

jessiejam wrote: »
    TBH if my relationship just broke down, the least of my worries would be my FB relationship status. What age are you op?
    Very young, and I'm not going to go personal issues on this, but for two months after something happened,I've known today was coming and it all went smoothly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

Very young, and I'm not going to go personal issues on this, but for two months after something happened,I've known today was coming and it all went smoothly.

Ah that makes sense. If your sure its over just take it down.. that is if you want the "aww hope your ok hun" bull!

If you don't want the attention from your FB buddies then leave it as is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Teddy is "Down for whatever"

Teddy is "Down for whatever"

BRB getting bottle of don carlos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Eh...just leave relationship status blank. Never the need for any hassle or drama ****e then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Nice to hear it all went smoothly frozenfrozen. As I said, just change the settings and be done with that section. It will help you :)

Stay strong okay! You'll be grand again in time, though you may not feel it now, you will be! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I dont see the problem here. If you're broken up, you're single so change it straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    I changed it to 'it's complicated.'

This...why do you do this...why do you and other people do this? It smacks of attention seeking. Why would you want people to know if your relationship is on the rocks, as that "it's complicated" line does?

As much as I agree with all of you saying change it now as I am no longer in a relationship, I'll wait till she changes it, that way I can't be doing anything wrong. As soon as that happens it's going on private and I'm not bothering with anything so unimportant again.

Actually might just change it to widowed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

As much as I agree with all of you saying change it now as I am no longer in a relationship, I'll wait till she changes it, that way I can't be doing anything wrong. As soon as that happens it's going on private and I'm not bothering with anything so unimportant again.

Actually might just change it to widowed

Widowered might be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

To be honest I don't think there is any point in stating your status what ever it is. Though its up to them when they wish to change it what ever circumstances of the relationship ending or starting or in or not in, it's their business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Just remove it, rather than change it to Single. Less drama.
    Or wait for her to change it - then it should just disappear off your profile.

Those things cause far too much drama, better not to put em up at all.
    It's kind of sad that society has got to this point though! :o

95% of FB is shite. A haven for drama queens and attention-seeking goons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

When I see "It's Complicated" as someone's relationship status the first thought that pops into my head is that they have become swingers or the like.

It makes for great conversations with mutual friends.
    Me: I see that Jane & Mike are swingers now.
    Friend: What the...! How do you know that?
    Me: It says it on Facebook. It.must be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Actually I must try setting my status to "It's Complicated". It'll keep my wife on her toes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement