Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rent allowance for the first time

Options
  • 06-08-2012 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi guys...This is my first thread but I'm just looking for some advice. I'm currently 28 and living at home and really want to move out of home. Have been in and out of temping work and finished a 9 month internship back in June. At the moment though I'm not working but hope to have a temping position at the end of the month again. My question is...am I entitled to rent allowance. Or if I am, how much would I be entitled to? Does it depend on how much the rent is each month? Hope you guys can help me.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Trying to get rent allowance is difficult. You have to have a valid reason for leaving your accomodation, and you have to prove that you have been paying your own rent for atleast 6 months, or have adequate housing need.. you have to be on the council list. So if you are leaving your current accomodation through choice and not neccessitry they will not give you rent allownace, and even if you leave it through necessity you will have to wait a long time and prove what the necessity was.
    The citizens advice page should have the rent cap for your area and all the facts about claiming, but in your case, because you have adequate housing according to them then you are very unlikely to be given anything for atleast 6 months of moving. Check out all the facts on Citizens advice anyway. hths

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Burke_1984

Thanks for the quick response! Yeah as I have somewhere adequate to live at the moment they'd probably not give me a penny. Hopefully I can find a job some time soon and wouldn't need rent allowance at all....It would help a lot though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

My advise is, if home is bearable, stick there. I know its not ideal but you have somewhere which means if you do get a job you could save and get a deposit. trying to find landlords who take rent allowance is hard, also trying to find accomodation for the amount the rent allowance crowd think you will is next to impossible. There is no way you would get near enough to not have to share, and if you do share you would probably still have to top up the amount. My advise is stay at home as long as you can, get some work and set up a credit union account, direct debit as much as you can a week or month and save, save, save. get a deposit then CHOOSE where you want to live, not just where you have to because they accept rent allowance. good luck with it anyway ;)

Advertisement