Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a loan without an account

Options
  • 06-08-2012 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm a student and I need a loan of €3600, but I just realised that my bank will only give a student loan up to €1300 per year.

Will another bank give me a larger loan if I go in with my statements showing my earnings if I'm not a customer with them? I don't even mind if they charged me the standard intrest rate. (students is discounted)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It's unlikely that you'll get a loan like that in the current climate. Currently, lending criteria are strict enough even for those with a full time job, and especially so for customers with whom the bank has no prior relationship with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Thanks.

Do you know if students can apply for non student loans from Ulsterbank? I can easily afford the repayments and that can easily be seen on my statements by the bank.

The only outgoings I have are a €40 phone bill, €10 mobile broadband and €30 gym out of approx €1600 per mont. The rest so far has been spent on the likes of clothes, cinema, restaurants and petrol - they can see that from the stores all showing up on my debit card statement. Everything else is paid for by parents. - but they won't guarantee a loan for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

your outgoings are 80€ a month..crazy.....so €1,520 a month you could save...who needs a loan..2 months you can have the money you need...
    DylanII wrote: »
    Thanks.

Do you know if students can apply for non student loans from Ulsterbank? I can easily afford the repayments and that can easily be seen on my statements by the bank.

The only outgoings I have are a €40 phone bill, €10 mobile broadband and €30 gym out of approx €1600 per mont. The rest so far has been spent on the likes of clothes, cinema, restaurants and petrol - they can see that from the stores all showing up on my debit card statement. Everything else is paid for by parents. - but they won't guarantee a loan for me.

your outgoings are 80€ a month..crazy.....so €1,520 a month you could save...who needs a loan..2 months you can have the money you need...

Well I couldn't actually save that much. I still have petrol costs - €80 per week. Then I have to pay for anything else like lunches, movies, dinners, nights out. But yes I could save it up fairly quickly, however need it within the next week or two. ( I actually had it saved up but lent it out to a family member in a bad situation with little hope of getting it back in the next few months)

Im just going to go into my branch today and ask it there is anything they can do, see if they will even just give me a standard loan.

well if you have that amount of wages coming into an account monthly i couldn't see them having an issue with such a small loan. Just go for a standard personal loan over 18months or something...

Well I couldn't actually save that much. I still have petrol costs - €80 per week. Then I have to pay for anything else like lunches, movies, dinners, nights out. But yes I could save it up fairly quickly, however need it within the next week or two. ( I actually had it saved up but lent it out to a family member in a bad situation with little hope of getting it back in the next few months)

Im just going to go into my branch today and ask it there is anything they can do, see if they will even just give me a standard loan.

• Advertisement

Well I went into my branch today. I was told that I would have to come back tomorrow when the student advisor was in. They also said most likely I will need to get a Guarantor and a max of €2750 :( I will have to get receipts for what I buy with it too.

This was for a personal loan??? I would not have bothered with a student loan based on your circumstances. You are more or less full time working...with a salary of at least 25k to net 1600 a month...

A 2750 loan sounds like nonsense...but I ain't a bank manager..so i guess it was what works for him/her
    Well I went into my branch today. I was told that I would have to come back tomorrow when the student advisor was in. They also said most likely I will need to get a Guarantor and a max of €2750 :( I will have to get receipts for what I buy with it too.

This was for a personal loan??? I would not have bothered with a student loan based on your circumstances. You are more or less full time working...with a salary of at least 25k to net 1600 a month...

A 2750 loan sounds like nonsense...but I ain't a bank manager..so i guess it was what works for him/her

Yes, I said that I wanted a personal loan through my ufirst account, but they said that because Im a student I'd still have to talk to the student advisor.

He did say that he's not 100% the way it all works but that he thought thats the way it it usually works. Hopefully it will turn out a bit different when I go back tomorrow.

But if it doesn't turn out differently then I will be leaving them. I dont mind the having to get someone to guarantee it, but putting such a low max on it. How could I rely on them in the future, but hey, it would be them loosing out on my future car loans, credit cards and mortgage.

banks :P
    Yes, I said that I wanted a personal loan through my ufirst account, but they said that because Im a student I'd still have to talk to the student advisor.

He did say that he's not 100% the way it all works but that he thought thats the way it it usually works. Hopefully it will turn out a bit different when I go back tomorrow.

But if it doesn't turn out differently then I will be leaving them. I dont mind the having to get someone to guarantee it, but putting such a low max on it. How could I rely on them in the future, but hey, it would be them loosing out on my future car loans, credit cards and mortgage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

If ever anybody has not needed a loan its you, just cut back on your nights out and cinema etc and you will have your money in a few months.

Leaving the bank for showing responsible lending practices is bizarre and you wont have much joy elsewhere.

edit...see that op needs loan this week.

• Advertisement

well needs is a strong word..according to OPs other post he wants a €2700 macbook....seriously would you not just wait and buy it for your cash? You need it right now??

Jaysoose wrote: »
    If ever anybody has not needed a loan its you, just cut back on your nights out and cinema etc and you will have your money in a few months.

Leaving the bank for showing responsible lending practices is bizarre and you wont have much joy elsewhere.

edit...see that op needs loan this week.

Advertisement