Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etiquette for Motorhoming

Options
  • 06-08-2012 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Please do not Let your grey water go onto Tarmac car parks in scenic areas, as we will all pay for this behaviour with more barriers to keep us out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭karmaan

I Think you made your point the first and second time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Here endeth the first lesson.

I wonder what the next one will be?:rolleyes:

Possibly the same again, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Bessa wrote: »
    Please do not Let your grey water go onto Tarmac car parks in scenic areas, as we will all pay for this behaviour with more barriers to keep us out.

Here's another,

Do not park across parking spaces, using up four or five car parking spaces does not help our image.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

Here endeth the first lesson.

I wonder what the next one will be?:rolleyes:

Possibly the same again, again.

It is a point some people don't get no matter how many times it said.

It is very easy to make a litter complaint and get these a-holes a nice big fine. I will certainly be doing it again next time I see someone doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Here's another,

Do not park across parking spaces, using up four or five car parking spaces does not help our image.

+1
    Was up in mullaghmore at the weekend 3 motorhomes taking up 15 parking spaces d*ick$ and as we were leaving another pulled in across 3 spaces, I wouldn't mind but there was a bloody festival on people were parking miles out and walking in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

650Ginge wrote: »
    It is a point some people don't get no matter how many times it said.

It is very easy to make a litter complaint and get these a-holes a nice big fine. I will certainly be doing it again next time I see someone doing it.

I am sure your camping holidays must be fun filled and busy keeping your eyes open for people to report.. enjoy

Manners, Respect ,some have it some dont.
    Campervan folk are no different.
    Live an let live.
    Enjoy life, its not a rehearsal.
    Terry

karmaan wrote: »
    Manners, Respect ,some have it some dont.
    Campervan folk are no different.
    Live an let live.
    Enjoy life, its not a rehearsal.
    Terry

"Live and Let Live" is all very well until some of the undesirable behaviour, which you seem to believe is not worth tackling, persists and ends up banjaxing the situation for us all, then none of us will be able to "Enjoy Life".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

moodrater wrote: »
    +1
    Was up in mullaghmore at the weekend 3 motorhomes taking up 15 parking spaces d*ick$ and as we were leaving another pulled in across 3 spaces, I wouldn't mind but there was a bloody festival on people were parking miles out and walking in.
    Can I just ask whats the acceptable parking arrangement in laid out car parks with no motorhome or bus/coach parking? I'll throw in the caveat that I've only parked in 2/3's empty car parks (so far), so I haven't been discommoding anyone, but the options have been either...

Park long ways at the side over spaces, not blocking the driving route around the car park, which I would've been attempting to park as per a car.
    Or
    Park over two rows, which due to the size of the van compared to the spaces, meant basically four spaces gone anyway.

Is there a least worst option?

I guess there's always the third option of not stopping at all if there's no alternative such as on street parking. But to me this does come back to the issue of a lack of facilities for motorhomes/ larger vehicles in public car parks. What's the point of no barriers, if they don't give space for vehicles that would be blocked by the barriers?

Macy0161 wrote: »
    .........................................Is there a least worst option?.........................................

Simply park so as you are using the minimum possible car parking spaces.
    If the bays are lined for two rows use two facing spaces (if you can find them) without overlapping in those beside you.
    If at all possible try not to park crossways, you wouldn't do it in your car so why do it in your motorhome.

In Kilkenny a friend got a parking fine for using two kerb side spaces but only 'paying' for one, so watch out for pay and display regulations relating to parking 'within marked bays'. If taking up more that one it is wise display the appropriate number of tickets.

• Advertisement

Well maybe tackling the offenders when you see " bad behaviour" might be more effective than ranting on about it here.

Or maybe try the Joe Duffy show!

Well maybe tackling the offenders when you see " bad behaviour" might be more effective than ranting on about it here.

Or maybe try the Joe Duffy show!

This being a forum used by motorhome users would seem to be a good place to spread what is considered to be good behaviour to those new to motorhoming and do not understand the do's and dont's.

Pointing out bad behaviour which will eventually be detrimental to us all is no bad thing, and definitely not in the realms of ranting.

See below a document from those who know the right way and what we are hoping for in this country, see also This Website

it still boils down to
    Manners
    Respect
    Common sense

Ranting about motorhome codes and ethics and "us" is in my opinion condescending

In my experience, i havn't witnessed any "bad behaviour", or maybe when you enjoy yourself you dont notice !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

moodrater wrote: »
    +1

It's particularly bad in Mullaghmore and there is no need for it for most of the vans as they can easily reverse up to the kerb and let the back hang over the grass verge (and a lot of them would be shorter vans anyway so they wouldn't be sticking out onto the road). It looks bad too. Even as a MH owner i think it looks bad too. It's not a campsite there, its a public area on the street in a tiny village.

I also saw the same recently at Dromod harbour where three MH's were taking up nearly all the parking spaces at the harbour. It made the place look like a halting site tbh!!

it still boils down to
    Manners
    Respect
    Common sense

Ranting about motorhome codes and ethics and "us" is in my opinion is condescending

In my experience, i havn't witnessed any "bad behaviour", or maybe when you enjoy yourself you dont notice !

A bit of a contradiction in the above post :confused:

Referring to a persons post about the bad behaviour of others as 'ranting' does not show much manners or respect for that persons concerns and the probability that such a post may be educational to someone who is yet to fully understand the best practice.

There are many of 'us' who are still learning, the fact that a person buys a motorhome does not, as if by magic, instantly bestow on him/her all that is to be learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭650Ginge

niloc1951 wrote: »
    it still boils down to
    Manners
    Respect
    Common sense

Ranting about motorhome codes and ethics and "us" is in my opinion is condescending

A bit of a contradiction in the above post :confused:

Referring to a persons post about the bad behaviour of others as 'ranting' does not show much manners or respect for that persons concerns and the probability that such a post may be educational to someone who is yet to fully understand the best practice.

There are many of 'us' who are still learning, the fact that a person buys a motorhome does not, as if by magic, instantly bestow on him/her all that is to be learned.

Agreed and I ain't going to be following this thread anymore, karmann just has to right, kinda boring me, since he is just interesting having all that fun and posting in here every ten minutes. Cya karmann!

well that was a good laugh anyway,thanks for the entertainment.

...allow faster traffic to overtake...:rolleyes:

it still boils down to
    Manners
    Respect
    Common sense

The problem with common sense is that it isn't very common.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Pjwal

some times the parking issue isnt down to bad manners, but lack of ability, my wife will usually park the motorhome across the parking spaces because she finds it very difficult to judge the tail swing in the mirrors and is terrified that she will catch the side of the car beside her when she is leaving the parking spaces,
    i dont agree with parking across the spaces, but sometimes we should not just to the conclusion that it is just abandoned that way by bad mannered camper driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ChopperJohn

Anyone who has never hired a Motorhome really should,
    Just for a week, it's enough tbh.

We hired a beauty in Mayo last year from Ireland west motorhomes.
    I was bright eyed and full of enthusiasm.

And ... it was hell on wheels !
    Not because of the motorhome but because I had no experience of either driving or reversing a big minbus sized vehicle.

Nobody gives way in Ireland, and when you do find somewhere to park, you are in the way !
    Campsites are not well enough equiped for them as the bays are way to small and tight to get in and out of.

Anyway, I had intended to buy one and tour Europe in it, off into the sunset. Now I'm looking at hotels again !
    I have huge admiration for those of you who drive motorhomes, and navigate their way through tiny villages.
    Good on ye.

Hi Chopperjohn, I'll only comment on your piece about size.

I can understand exactly how you must have felt. Back in 1971, in the UK, I bought a 51 seater coach to convert to a motorhome.

I took it out for a short spin with the owner before buying and thought it would be just the job.
    Three weeks later I went and picked it up. To say the 40 odd mile drive home was frightening would be an understatement, until then the the biggest thing I'd driven was a transit. I had to drive this big beast through Canterbury at half past five in the evening. How's that for bad organising.

BUt, within a few weeks I felt nicely at home with it. Converted it and happily took it to France, Germany and Spain without problems.

So if you found the Motorhome fine in itself, don't give up, give it another try, it gets easier with a little time and patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ChopperJohn

Thanks Irishgoatman,

But no... I was a nervous wreck and although I did get better I would never say I was comforable with it.
    And... What id it and mirrors ? Can they not make the left one twice the size ??

Ahh no, I'll leave it to the experts, nobody was killed that week which was more luck than design... but I'm not going to push it..!

Thanks Irishgoatman,

But no... I was a nervous wreck and although I did get better I would never say I was comforable with it.
    And... What id it and mirrors ? Can they not make the left one twice the size ??

Ahh no, I'll leave it to the experts, nobody was killed that week which was more luck than design... but I'm not going to push it..!

Never leave anything to the experts:eek:.

You know the definition of an expert?

X BEING AN UNKNOWN QUANTITY and A SPERT IS A DRIP UNDER PRESSURE.

Never leave anything to the experts:eek:.

hahaha I've never gotten my yolk back from a mechanic that I didn't have to finish the job myself.

Ps. It's easy get bigger mirrors, the glass is real cheap all you need is to do is adapt a bracket.
    It's even easier get sticky back wide angles.

Re: Driving; Practice makes better, if in doubt slow down.
    Be prepared for route planning according to road width, height clearance and pull in areas depending on what your taking. There's no shame in getting out and looking at the situation while trying difficult maneuvers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Is grey water just from doing the washing up or from vans with toilets? I don't want to do anything generally considering to be a form of polluting, but the water from doing the wash up seems pretty inoffensive to me... :confused:

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Is grey water just from doing the washing up or from vans with toilets? I don't want to do anything generally considering to be a form of polluting, but the water from doing the wash up seems pretty inoffensive to me... :confused:

Grey water is water which has been used for washing the person, clothing, ware, etc. it usually contains detergents, food residue and whatever resides in ones armpits :eek:
    It gets its name because it us usually grey in colour.

Black water is from the toilets (sewage), don't know why it's called black because it'd usually a sort of brown, yuck, but some people put blue or green nice smelling stuff in it to camouflage its true nature and its whiff :D

Both should always be emptied directly into the appropriate municipal drainage systems.

Advertisement