Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening and restraunt and looking to get beer taps from a company ????

Options
  • 06-08-2012 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

As above ,
    Just wondering if anyone knows how I'd go about getting lets say Heineken in to put in taps and chillers in , has anyone any experience on this and idea on cost ect. In Dublin area
    Thanks in advance ,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 spyzer

bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Your best bet is to contact Heineken or Diageo directly and ask for details. With pubs they supply the taps and chillers free and you buy the product from them, not sure if its the same for restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Have you looked into getting beer supplied by some of the smaller Irish breweries. It's great to be offered something other the the usual boring beers(Heinken/Carlsberg/Coors) when you're out in a restaurant/pub.
    You could also offer people the option of matching beers to particular food dishes.

Have you looked into getting beer supplied by some of the smaller Irish breweries. It's great to be offered something other the the usual boring beers(Heinken/Carlsberg/Coors) when you're out in a restaurant/pub.
    You could also offer people the option of matching beers to particular food dishes.

+1 on this, its something I completely forgot to mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭tucked

Heinekan used to do an all-in-one kind of unit which basically looked like (and was about the size of) an undercounter fridge with a tap on top of it. It held two half size kegs, chilled them and you attach a gas tank to the rear of it. I used one for a while to see what demand for draught was like before committing to a full bar set-up. It worked really well and was free on loan - just buy the special kegs from them. Maybe they have similar ones for other beers? At the time I think they had another version for Murphys. Speak to a Heinekan Rep.

I did also use an undercounter portable chiller attached to a keg of Guinness for a while too which worked very well - never any complaints about quality but Diageo are fussy about the kegs being maintained at a certain temperature in a cold room etc so wouldn't allow it long-term. It is possible to do though to assess demand and see if costs are justified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

spyzer wrote: »
    As above ,
    Just wondering if anyone knows how I'd go about getting lets say Heineken in to put in taps and chillers in , has anyone any experience on this and idea on cost ect. In Dublin area
    Thanks in advance ,

Try to get some of the smaller brewers in if possible. People are starting to appreciate craft brewers in this country finally. Not sure how many of them are kegging? I've seen the Dunvargan Brewing / Carlow Brewing in bottles, not sure about kegs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Not sure if licensing laws have changed since I was in the trade but back in the late 1990's a restaurants wine license forbade the sale of beer, only allowing for wine and liquers. Technically even serving an Irish Coffee was illegal at it contained whiskey, a 40% spirit.

Do check out what kind of license you have before going down this route because if it is the wrong one they it is highly likely a local publican will complain to the authorities and they will act. My guess is that something has changed as petrol stations can now sell wine and that wasn't always allowed but just for your own peace of mind be sure you've got the correct license or it could turn out to be a very expensive exercise if you get caught out

A special restaurant licence allows for the sale of all intoxicating liquors in a restaurant

Irish Statute Book

Advertisement