Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torrents slow all of a sudden - UPC

• 06-08-2012 10:14pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

FGor soem reason over the past few weeks my torrents are downloading very slowly. I'm on the UPC 30mb package and up until now they were alway very fast. I don;t download much but a while ago I noticed a torrent which I expected to be very fast was not going any faster than about 200kb/s Sometimes it might boost up and get 1-2mb but then it seems to slow down again.

I use utorrent and I used the port tester and saved it and they started running fast again, but a few minutes later they were back slow again

Any idea as to why they do this and how I can fix it?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I get that all the time, torrents are very slow with UPC. My old Eircom connection was faster for torrents. I am convinced that UPC throttle torrent traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

guys i cant download torrents at all...

sorry if i missed something... when i go on piratebay and click on a link nothing happens. if i right click > save as the "save as" is greyed out, not an option.

can someone explain this to me plz?

im in dublin, prob on upc, im not sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

The pirate bay stopped giving out real torrent files a while back, sticking to magnet links only. If you have a newer torrent downloader, like utorrent, it should open the new links. Nothing to do with UPC though... As for speed issues, not noticing any... Got a 120 and 60mb line acting in tandem (load balanced) and easily seeing upwards of 20Mbytes a second. Could be the area? Where you having the problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Dazza

Wouldn't a VPN give ye fill.speed with torrents yea?
    If not get a seedbox.they're pretty cheap nowadays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,340 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Op, are you on wifi?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I'm not seeing any slow down with my connection (120mb)at the moment using bittorrent. Is everything in the Client reporting ok? Do you have any ports forwarded on your router?

I notice with the last firmware update that uPnP mapping doesn't work for me anymore with the Thomson router so I need to manually set an IP and Port in the Port forwarding menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭CharlieZeroOne

Cheers Lotas, yeah im using bitlord version 1, for the last decade lol. sweet, will try uTorrent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its probably your router being **** and screwing **** up. When torrenting with DHT you make hundreds of connections vs just a few with regular usage, and the EPC crap they supply doesnt deal with that so well.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

But why would that happen all of a sudden when its has been working fine for months/years?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭_Puma_

I have UPC Fibre 30 Meg and use Vuze for my torrents. Noticed last nigh that a popular torrent was extremely slow as well. Was averaging around 200 Kbps with spikes up to 700 kbps then drops right down to 100Kbps. Strange because usually similar torrents get brilliant speeds up to 1Mbps. 1st Torrent I've started downloading in a while so haven't noticed it until now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement