Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

twin axle caravan.

• 06-08-2012 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

new to the idea of caravaning. just looking for one at the moment i'm experienced at towing trailers both single and twin axle. i have seen a twin axle with a lay out thats suits what i'm looking for. but is a twin axle just asking for hassle because a certain client go for twin axle? i would be planning on towing to france so would the stability of a twin be a better option?thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

I wouldn't worry about being seen as undesirable due to having a single axle caravan. I have never been asked what type of caravan I have when ringing to book (although not many sites take bookings). The type of caravan usually mentioned in the area you are worried about are the large Hobby models but I see plenty of these on sites. Twin axle caravans are usually heavier so you should make sure that your car is big enough to pull it.

I have found some sites to be reluctant and non-committal if they do not know you and that is very annoying - it hasn't happened to me yet but I wouldn't like to arrive at a site after a long journey to find that they have no pitches available even though I had called earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

Have a large twin axle caravan, and have done France with it many times.
    Most sites will allow you, once booked in advance. Outside of the peak (mid July-Aug) they have no problem, if in doubt check with them in advance.
    Business is not what it used to be so they are a bit more receptive to large caravans.
    As db said, make sure your towcar is up to the task of towing such a large caravan, nothing worse than being underpowered on those long hills in France.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I have seen quite a lot of caravan parks, particularly in France which do not accept twin axle caravans. I believe it is also policy here in Ireland, Camac Valley in Dublin being a case in point.
    The extra axle also reduces MPG's and make manual moving very difficult.

Lastly, modern tyre and axle technology has made putting quite big caravans on a single axle quite common.

Correct loading and tyre pressures, both on the caravan and the tow car, can make even the longest of single axle caravans tow very safely and comfortably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

btb wrote: »
    nothing worse than being underpowered on those long hills in France.

Like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsPnwi0nb2Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

niloc1951 wrote: »
    I have seen quite a lot of caravan parks, particularly in France which do not accept twin axle caravans. I believe it is also policy here in Ireland, Camac Valley in Dublin being a case in point.
    In france the problem is that they dont want a certain ethnic group from arriving for the summer. I have always found that If you check in advance there is never a problem having a twin axle caravan once the site can accomadate you (and the shipping length of my caravan is 9m). A lot of Irish sites just cant accomadate long caravans as the pitches are not long enough in my experience.
    The extra axle also reduces MPG's and make manual moving very difficult.
    True on the manual moving bit, would not even consider trying to move a 2t caravan manually.
    Lastly, modern tyre and axle technology has made putting quite big caravans on a single axle quite common.

Correct loading and tyre pressures, both on the caravan and the tow car, can make even the longest of single axle caravans tow very safely and comfortably.
    Most continental twin axle caravans are 2.4-2.5m wide and 8-9m long and would weigh approx 2t laden, think it might be alittle bit much on a single axle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement