Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katatonia 'Dead end kings'

Options
  • 06-08-2012 11:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭

The masters are back with what is sure to be another masterpiece

They released the first single 'dead letters' a few weeks ago and have announced a 'dead kings of europe' tour coinciding with the release of the album with a date in Limerick. And with Katatonia being my favourite band for many a year it shocked me to see them being announced and needless to say Iv got a vip pass to the gig.

Any other katatonia fans out there that would like to share an opinion on the band,the new album or tour?

Jay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭etloveslsd

Does anyone know if tickets for the cancelled gig a few weeks ago will be honoured at the rescheduled gig later in the year? Do we need to exchange them for newer ones?

Can't wait to get my hands on this album.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jay92

Id reckon go to wherever you purchased the tickets and ask them. I would not think the tickets would be valid for the upcoming tour of ireland. Mind you If i was dealing with the tickets I would let them be used I dont see what problem It could possibly pose

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

The Great Cold Distance was the first Katatonia album I listened to and it grabbed me straight away. There is something about the vocals on that album that sound incredibly unique to me, I love it, it really captures a melancholic aesthetic that never tires. There are so many crackin' tunes on it that are really catchy too, which seems like a contradictory statement given the tone and content of the lyrics.

As a result of being mesmerized by TGCD, I haven't properly listened to much else of their catalogue. I've listened to The Night Is The New Day a few times and there's certainly a few stand out tracks on it that I really like, but I expect it's much more of a grower than TGCD. They've got a pretty big discography so I'm pleased to be able to take my time and work my way through it.

I had a ticket for their cancelled gig (got a refund by the way), but I'm wondering whether I should go see their rescheduled show because of the amount of negative comments I've read from people on the net about their live performances. Anyone seen them live before? Are they worth going to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭jay92

xerces wrote: »
    The Great Cold Distance was the first Katatonia album I listened to and it grabbed me straight away. There is something about the vocals on that album that sound incredibly unique to me, I love it, it really captures a melancholic aesthetic that never tires. There are so many crackin' tunes on it that are really catchy too, which seems like a contradictory statement given the tone and content of the lyrics.

As a result of being mesmerized by TGCD, I haven't properly listened to much else of their catalogue. I've listened to The Night Is The New Day a few times and there's certainly a few stand out tracks on it that I really like, but I expect it's much more of a grower than TGCD. They've got a pretty big discography so I'm pleased to be able to take my time and work my way through it.

I had a ticket for their cancelled gig (got a refund by the way), but I'm wondering whether I should go see their rescheduled show because of the amount of negative comments I've read from people on the net about their live performances. Anyone seen them live before? Are they worth going to?
    yes mate I have seen them live in Dublin in the summer of '10 i think it was. That was a fantastic gig and I found them to be a very good live band although probably not the best. Tickets are what 20quid? Its well worth it.
    Yeah i envy you that you can go through all the songs for the first time.

I'm after buying a ticket for The Button Factory, I really should see them for myself before writing off their live experience, I'm looking forward to it.

That's OM next month, Opeth + Anathema in November and Katatonia in December, not too shabby.

I listened to Night Is The New Day on the iPod again today, it's a quality album, makes me excited to hear Dead End Kings....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

etloveslsd wrote: »
    Does anyone know if tickets for the cancelled gig a few weeks ago will be honoured at the rescheduled gig later in the year? Do we need to exchange them for newer ones?

Can't wait to get my hands on this album.

You should have got an e-mail about them tickets way back if you ordered them online,there was a date you had to have them returned by.they won't be honoured for the new rescheduled date as it is by a different promoter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I just started listening to Katatonia. Got Night is the New Day and am really liking it.
    Certain parts have a very Opeth like style, kinda reminiscent of Damnation or other mellow stuff they write.

Looking forward to the new album, and I'll most likely pick up a ticket to the gig soon.

What other albums would people recommend based on liking their last one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    I just started listening to Katatonia. Got Night is the New Day and am really liking it.
    Certain parts have a very Opeth like style, kinda reminiscent of Damnation or other mellow stuff they write.

Looking forward to the new album, and I'll most likely pick up a ticket to the gig soon.

What other albums would people recommend based on liking their last one?

Well based on your enjoyment of Night is the new Day I would recommend The Great Cold Distance (2006).

220px-Katatonia-The_Great_Cold_Distance.jpg

It's similar in themes, sound and production and it probably has a good portion of any setlist the band would perform live.

50113.jpg

I would also recommend Discouraged Ones as it has more of a stripped down sound compared to their more recent output in the 2000's. The vocals are cleaner and somewhat melancholic and the overall tone can sound sombre but always melodic. Highly recommend Discouraged Ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

etloveslsd wrote: »
    DME say:
    16/04/2012 Katatonia Cancelled
    The July Katatonia shows in Ireland are 100% cancelled. Please get a refund from your point of purchase. All is not lost though....look out for the band making it to Ireland at a later date in 2012.
    So better get the refund

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Looking forward to the new album and gig in December, so glad its in the Button Factory rather than The Village.

My introduction to Katatonia was Viva Emptiness and its still my favourite, I love the cover artwork too

• Advertisement

Irish Halo wrote: »
    DME say:

So better get the refund

I'm fairly sure I got the ticket in Soundcellar, so Tommy will probably sort me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Passenger wrote: »
    Well based on your enjoyment of Night is the new Day I would recommend The Great Cold Distance (2006).

Thanks, that song is excellent! Sounds like I'll enjoy that album too. I'll definitely pick up a ticket now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

TGCD is a decent record, NITND was alright as well but a bit harder to get into.

Live they're up and down. Jonas has an awkward stage presence that almost makes him appear bored and embarrassed at the same time, which is odd when you consider how long they've been at this.

Still though, great band. Always manage to make very interesting music.

Just exchanged my old tickets for the new gig. Have to say I'm not impressed with DME. Cost me an extra €5 per ticket. The price should have been the same for the two gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

When they were to play in July it was because of them playing Sonisphere. I would think their own full tour would cost more therefore influencing ticket prices. 25 quid is great value with the fact Alcest are playing too.

I think DME are very fair in their ticket pricing and I would say they often take a hit on poorly attended gigs. Thank God DME exists as they have brought some savage bands here. Wouldnt want to be waiting on MCD to bring a somewhat decent band over

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Panzer Paddy

read the interview in terrorizer today, looks good. if its half as good as night is the new day then it will be cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

was listening to the promo for this today. not sure what to make of it yet, nothings blown me away after 2 listens. it sounds great, i just
    mean nothing new etc. theres a great riff half way into Lethean and i think a female vocal on one track. Certain rhythms of Tool are prevalent and becomes a bit much, overdone, predictable, theres a serious amount of similar dynamics going on throughout. as i said only 2 listens, so its early days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 bleeding_souls

the new album is pretty much what i expected after NITND, been listening to it alot it really needs the time to sink in.

the female singer on "The One You Are Looking for Is Not Here" is Silje Wergeland, she the singer of Octavia Sperati (highly recommended gothic metal) and The Gathering. she fits in very well with katatonia's style

Jesus, 'Night Is The New Day' is a stunning album. Been listening to it a lot over the last few days, took a while to grow.

Advertisement