Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not being yourself

• 06-08-2012 11:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Be yourself.

It's a phrase we hear continuously.

I want to hear from people who " aren't themselves" and their take on what it means to " not be yourself."

So. If you aren't you this thread is for you. Also If you are you you are also welcome to participate.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I used to be myself but I got sick of it. Now I'm starbelgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

But if people who aren't themselves reply, you won't be getting an honest answer and if they are themselves, how can they prove it, also how do we know if we are ourselves, maybe we are nobody and we're just in denial.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

I want to hear from people who " aren't themselves" and their take on what it means to " not be yourself."

Really? It's not like you to ask such a thing!

Z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I usually hear "go f*ck yourself"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I'm a racist, bigot who enjoys watching other people in pain, i try not to "be myself" too often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

It's a stupid saying IMO! It's just a cliche people use when they haven't got any real advise to give!

Some people shouldn't be "themselves" as some people are just downright c*nts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Satts

Can I still be Garth ?

Senna wrote: »
    I'm a racist, bigot who enjoys watching other people in pain, i try not to "be myself" too often.

Me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I need to be myself,I cant be knowone else
    Im feelin supersonic,give me gin and tonic
    You can have it all,but how much do you want it
    You make me laugh,give me your autograph...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Totally OT but OP put this in my head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I need to be myself,I cant be knowone else
    Im feelin supersonic,give me gin and tonic
    You can have it all,but how much do you want it
    You make me laugh,give me your autograph...........

Oasis must have written some of the worst song lyrics known to mankind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Satts wrote: »
    Can I still be Garth ?

Ah, Mr. brooks. We meet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

They're not even the worst lyrics in that song!

I know a girl called Elsa
    She’s into Alka Seltzer
    She sniffs it through a cane
    On a supersonic train

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I used to be me but now I'm Max Power and I rule!!!

Also If you are you you are also welcome to participate.

Stop saying you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Can I still be a priest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

And yet I know someone who told me I clearly didn't understand abstract lyrics when I used just that song as an example of rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,306 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

I'm a sex mad,hard drinking party animal.

But now I'm married and mortgaged...

I can't be myself! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

What does it mean to 'be yourself' for fuck sake?

I'm different with my parents than I am with uncles and aunties, different with old people, I'm different again at school, different at work, different with other friends.

If you're not adaptable to different environments, you're most probably a cunt, so I don't even know what 'myself' is.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭TheBegotten

I'm so often "not myself" (according to other people), that I'm not even sure what I'm really like. That reminds me of a joke involving mad cow disease and a helicopter...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

I think I'm a nice guy, but apparently nice guys finish last so from now on I'm going to be a bastard. :cool:

"Shut up! I'm not interested!" These are just some of the things you'll be hearing from me from now on. PS: No dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Megglet

I think being yourself is all about having respect for your own desires and thoughts and staying true to that despite what the majority might be thinking or doing.
    I haven't really thought about the phrase and what it truly meant for me until recently.

I didn't exactly embrace my own quirks and personality growing up as I never had much in common with the people I went to school with.
    I began feeling like an outcast and so I assumed there was something wrong with who I was. I ended up hiding a lot of myself and my mindset suddenly became ''What can I do or say to make people accept me?''.
    I stayed rather quiet, kept my head down and tried not to deviate from the ''norm''. Despite my efforts to fit I never really had many people I could call my friend.

Then when the time to go to university came, I grew tired of trying to adhere to the ''norm'' and just started thinking for myself and accepting what I was. I've never met so many wonderful people in my entire life and had such a strong circle of friends before.

It really goes to show, people only respect you as much as your respect yourself and not being myself I literally had no respect for what I was.

Life lesson learned anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

What do i stand for, what do i stand for?
    Some nights i dont know, anymore...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

If I was myself, literally not one person could ever like or agree with me ever. I have to curb what I say in order for it to be acceptable to anyone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38 GunRunner

If I was myself, literally not one person could ever like or agree with me ever. I have to curb what I say in order for it to be acceptable to anyone :(

I'm the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Megglet

GunRunner wrote: »
    I'm the same.

Suggesting that there's literally not one person in the world that could agree with you ever is probably a little bit of an exaggeration.
    Even bigots and racists manage to find friends and people that love them, other bigots and racists!

Have some self respect and try to stick to your own guns, even if it's not going to make you popular you'll eventually meet some other like minded individuals that'll accept you.

''I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not'' - Kurt Cobain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Not being yourself is conforming to every possible situation. Everyone dislikes something so i suppose not being yourself is like trying to stick a square peg in a round hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭RumDrinker

It means that I can't really say to my boss "Myself: This is a stupid idea and waste of everyone's time".
    Instead, I have to say "Not myself: I'm not sure if this is gonna be working the way we would like it to work. I keep an eye on it and let you know if there will be any room for improvement."

Feckin' "savoir vivre" makes me sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Megglet wrote: »
    GunRunner wrote: »
    I'm the same.

Suggesting that there's literally not one person in the world that could agree with you ever is probably a little bit of an exaggeration.
    Even bigots and racists manage to find friends and people that love them, other bigots and racists!

Have some self respect and try to stick to your own guns, even if it's not going to make you popular you'll eventually meet some other like minded individuals that'll accept you.

''I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not'' - Kurt Cobain

I was locked when I wrote that. Im actually myself the majority of the time, don't know what I was sayin :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Always be yourself, unless you can be Katie Taylor.

Then always be Katie Taylor.

/bandwagon combo

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Cant do OP.

I just love being Chuck Norris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

I used to be a girl who was also three boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

People often say 'Just be yourself' when it comes to interviews. Of course that is absolutely the last time you want to be yourself. Unless it's for some kind of freaky job and they want freaky people.

Me? I'm rarely myself. On the rare occasions when I can be myself it feels like there's a huge weight off my shoulders.

It's like being a spy in a foreign country most of the time. You have to keep up the facade at all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭RumDrinker

bluecode wrote: »
    People often say 'Just be yourself' when it comes to interviews.
    I'd love to see them answering one of those "So why do you want to work for us" type of questions.

" I'm a walking nightmare, an arsenal of doom
    I kill conversation as I walk into the room
    I'm a three line whip
    I'm the sort of thing they ban
    I'm a walking disaster
    I'm a demolition man "

Sting sums it up pretty well

• Advertisement
Advertisement