Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Compatabilty of Christianity and Rock music

• 07-08-2012 1:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Something I was thinking about, is listening to rock music, whic often is about things such as sex(outside of marriage presumably), compatible with living a christian (particularly catholic) lifestyle?

I'll give a few examples;

Etc etc you get the idea.

Basically I'm wondering if enjoying music like this, which celebrates immorality (different to documenting, for example Springsteens "The River" is about a guy who got his girlfriend pregnant and had a rushed marriage as a result - but it isn't a celebration of that "immorality") is sinful or does sin only arise if one physically does these things.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭StanMcConnell

No, there's something wrong with listening to music which address these topics.
    The idea that watching certain things or listen to certain music making you unclean or sinful is false, according to the words of Jesus recorded in the Gospel of Matthew.

"it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.” Matthew 15:11

Rock on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

"it is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.” Matthew 15:11

Agreed, art reflects life, rather then life reflecting art.
    Rock on!

God Gave Rock And Roll To You.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

We have to remember that when we listen to rock music or any type of music that Jesus hears what we hear and decide to listen to. It may be ''art'' but I hardly would think that listening to rock music that is profane and contrary to the Christian way of life is going to be pleasing to Christ. After all the decision to listen to such profane music and wholly enjoy something that does not come from God or seeks to undermine him is something that comes out of the heart and defiles the person.

Art is a gift of God surely, but when the decision to twist this gift to use it against God comes about, it defiles a person.

Music is philosophy and in recent decades one could call it the modern plato in a sense. We have to be careful what music we listen to and movies we watch.

Onesimus wrote: »
    We have to remember that when we listen to rock music or any type of music that Jesus hears what we hear and decide to listen to. It may be ''art'' but I hardly would think that listening to rock music that is profane and contrary to the Christian way of life is going to be pleasing to Christ. After all the decision to listen to such profane music and wholly enjoy something that does not come from God or seeks to undermine him is something that comes out of the heart and defiles the person.

Art is a gift of God surely, but when the decision to twist this gift to use it against God comes about, it defiles a person.

Music is philosophy and in recent decades one could call it the modern plato in a sense. We have to be careful what music we listen to and movies we watch.

Surely from a theological point of view, one should analyse the words of the song before judging it?

The band I linked above is a devout Christian band (I actually quite like their music). Should they be viewed as less loving of God because of their style of performance? They're obviously no choir singers, so they choose to use their talents to perform another form of music.

Why would Jesus have a problem with such?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

....you could have brought this up 30 years ago when it was relevant. Blackie lawless has since become a born again christian and rarely plays those songs....as for steven tyler, according to legend god bestowed him with heavenly tools of seduction and female satisfaction, so what else could he do only put them to use, be it in an elevator or anywhere else....plus his god gifted ample loins produced the heavenly liv tyler, whom we have all praised god for at one time or another!
    Anyway this thread is only relevant in the USA where "cock rock" thrived. We preferred thrash metal over here....

And another.
    Former Korn guitarist Brian 'Head' Welch who became a Christian (though he is a bit loopy in reality).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Surely from a theological point of view, one should analyse the words of the song before judging it?

The band I linked above is a devout Christian band (I actually quite like their music). Should they be viewed as less loving of God because of their style of performance? They're obviously no choir singers, so they choose to use their talents to perform another form of music.

Why would Jesus have a problem with such?

Oh yeah I completely agree! we should study the words first before making judgement. There are some rock songs like Bruces ''the river'' which just tell a story and convey the world as it is and is not really offensive. But there are rock songs that don't really need to be studied.

I wasn't talking about the style in itself but rather the choice of words.

Onesimus wrote: »
    I hardly would think that listening to rock music that is profane and contrary to the Christian way of life is going to be pleasing to Christ.
    OK, let's distinguish between gratuitous profanity/immorality and that based on real-life experience.

Katie Perry kissed a girl and she liked it (apparently the kissee tasted of cherry chapstick). Is this music to avoid?

N.W.A. sanctioned anarchy in F*ck Da Police, to highlight racial tension and discrimination experienced by black people at the hands of white cops. Is this music to avoid?

Both use language, descriptions and/or instructions that are entirely contrary to the Christian way of life. However, one of these songs could reasonably be regarded as one of the most important songs to emerge from American over the last 25 years. Do we not have a duty to listen, to understand the lives others are leading?

When you watch City Of God, do you see sex, debauchery, gratuitous violence and blasphemy or do you see the reality of living in poverty and the blood of fallen brothers?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Rock music is a medium for a message to be conveyed.

I do not, in general, listen to music which strongly conflicts with my views, although I am happy to tolerate differences. For example, I dislike the rubbishy trend in music of crass materialism or empty commentary (girls running the world is as wrong as men running the world, ladies) I cannot see why Christians would be any different? The medium is not important, but the message.

One of my favourite rock songs ever is often mistaken for a love song about teh ladies, but is actually about the singers relationship with God.

I can state for a fact that god does not like Creed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/07/us/army-veteran-identified-as-suspect-in-wisconsin-shooting.html?_r=2&hp
    Although little known among music fans, a steady subculture of racist and anti-Semitic rock bands has existed on the margins of punk and heavy metal in Europe and the United States since at least the 1970s

The above link refers to the recent mass murder in the States

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/07/us/army-veteran-identified-as-suspect-in-wisconsin-shooting.html?_r=2&hp
    Although little known among music fans, a steady subculture of racist and anti-Semitic rock bands has existed on the margins of punk and heavy metal in Europe and the United States since at least the 1970s

The above link refers to the recent mass murder in the States

I cannot deny that racist/anti semitic music exists....but i can say that people who commit such atrocities are driven by a little more than a few tunes!! You will have to do a little better than that georgieboy! Father Brian Darcy exhausted this argument back in the 80's....
    People often use such scapegoats to cover up the real causes!!

I cannot deny that racist/anti semitic music exists....but i can say that people who commit such atrocities are driven by a little more than a few tunes!! You will have to do a little better than that georgieboy! Father Brian Darcy exhausted this argument back in the 80's....
    People often use such scapegoats to cover up the real causes!!

It's not me saying it. It's the New York Times and here's their headline
    Wisconsin Killer Fed and Was Fueled by Hate-Driven Music

But I would venture to say Jesus does not approve. icon13.gif

It's not me saying it. It's the New York Times and here's their headline
    Wisconsin Killer Fed and Was Fueled by Hate-Driven Music

But I would venture to say Jesus does not approve. icon13.gif

Of music, or the killings?

Of music, or the killings?
    the hate driven music which fed and fueled him according to the NYT

I suppose it's a bit like drinking and driving. When a drunk driver kills someone people tend to blame the drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Quatermain

I suppose it's a bit like drinking and driving. When a drunk driver kills someone people tend to blame the drink.

It's not like that at all. I personally would blame the person who decided to get tanked up and thus knowingly impair his own abilities.

I would also blame the person who decides to listen to hate-filled music and use this as an excuse to shoot people. He is either mentally deranged or an outright liar. Possibly both.

That's a nonsense.

I've listened to metal of all kinds since I was a wee lad, and I've never felt the urge to kill people.

He was a simple case of a crazy man who wanted to do an evil, malicious thing.

That's a nonsense.

I've listened to metal of all kinds since I was a wee lad,
    and I've never felt the urge to kill people.

Do you find it draws you closer to Christ?, or as the NYT claims, does it fuel your hate?
    I don't think anyone ever suggests rock music (or alcohol) actually forces you to do evil, It just fed it to such an extent that he eventually went out and did it.

• Advertisement

That's a nonsense.

I've listened to metal of all kinds since I was a wee lad,
    and I've never felt the urge to kill people.

Do you find it draws you closer to Christ?, or as the NYT claims, does it fuel your hate?
    I don't think anyone ever suggests rock music (or alcohol) actually forces you to do evil, It just fed it to such an extent that he eventually went out and did it.
    Nonsense

You're getting into extreme psycosis here, where Pat kenny or Tubridy are talking on the tv and some nutter is sitting at home interpreting what they say as instructions to kill...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Niko McBrain of Iron Maiden has confessed a Christian faith.

and of course Alice Cooper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Nonsense

You're getting into extreme psycosis here, where Pat kenny or Tubridy are talking on the tv and some nutter is sitting at home interpreting what they say as instructions to kill...

Hmm, and yet if such a nutter kills an abortionist, then certain prominent atheists (and posters on A&A) will rush to blame Christianity?

FWIW, art simply reflects life, and that includes the less savoury aspects of life. Also, art can easily be hijacked by nutters to support their delusions (Hitler's use of Wagner being a prime example - or Charles Manson appropriating the Beatles' song 'Helter Skelter').

Christians risk locking themselves into an ignorant coccoon if they cut themselves off from art. For instance, Emile Zola's Rougons-MacQuart novels were viewed as risque when they were first written - and were censored when translated into English. But, as a Christian minister, I have found them to be deeply insightful when it comes to human nature, and a rich source of sermon illustrations.

PDN, I couldn't agree with you more.

Nonsense

You are comparing Pat Kenny and Ryan Tubridy to hard core rock music and excess use of alcohol? That is indeed extreme psychosis. Nonsense even.

You are comparing Pat Kenny and Ryan Tubridy to hard core rock music and excess use of alcohol? That is indeed extreme psychosis. Nonsense even.

i think you have missed the point and then insulted me

Actually every time I see both of those men I have an overwhelming urge to slap them both. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

With regard to the individual who murdered the people at the Sikh temple, it seems more likely that his choice in music was influenced by his hatred rather than him listening to extreme right heavy metal and deciding to go on a killing spree. While music of that nature is despicable, it doesn't reflect the vast majority of the metal scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

"People are not in good shape to where they have to question their own belief system because of a book or a story somebody wrote, or a Slayer song."

Spoken by Tom Araya, bassist and Singer of Slayer, and a Christian himself.

I think you should listen to whatever the hell you want to, if of course the message being portrayed in the art makes you uncomfortable, then by all means, drop it. But to avoid something because it conflicts with your ideas is immature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭NotForResale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    With regard to the individual who murdered the people at the Sikh temple, it seems more likely that his choice in music was influenced by his hatred rather than him listening to extreme right heavy metal and deciding to go on a killing spree. While music of that nature is despicable, it doesn't reflect the vast majority of the metal scene.

read this: http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/07/myspace-page-gunman-belonged-to-white-supremacist-band/

the guy was listening to and writing white supremacist music, it's absurd to think that it was anything related to mainstream music scenes. the only thing that led this man to do what he did was his repugnant ideology, the music is another aspect of that, playing a part in a kind of ideological echo chamber.

Advertisement