Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental property & furniture

Options
  • 07-08-2012 5:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

So been looking around at loads of house shares apartments etc lately and found some lovely ones. But thing is most already come with all their furniture etc. however I'd like to bring my own bed that I currently have with me to where ever I do end up choosing.

Should this be something that I discuss with my future landlord before I sign the lease if its alright to do ? Or should I just go ahead and do it ?

Would this be an unusual request?

(the bed that would be currently in that property would just go into storage somewhere around the property or a location of the landlords discretion )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Fran79

Hi
    when I moved into my current place we asked the LL if they minded us bringing our own beds (a double and bunk beds for childs room). They were fine with it.
    We helped by taking the two beds already here apart and carefully bagging the screws for each bed separately. (LL was surprised as he thought he would have to do this and was grateful that we were able help him load it up into his van)

They also took the microwave away at our request as we had one of our own.

Best policy is to ask - some LL may not have the storage space / means to transport such a large item.
    HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

As the poster above states, the main obstacle will be the fact that there are so many landlords that don't have either the room for storage or the means to transport a large bulky item out of the place.

You might have a better chance if you are looking to rent a house that may have additional storage perhaps in an attic or a garden shed than an apartment that has only a limited amount of storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

I wouldn't mind paying for the transport costs (ie hiring a van or w/e) if nessacary. Though most likley will end up in a house as there doesn't seem to bee to many apts where I'm looking that I like so hopefully it won't be a problem. I just wanted to ask to see if others have done this, or would it be a very strange request so thanks for your replies!! =)

Advertisement