Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banking Guarantor - Unemployed parents?

Options
  • 07-08-2012 5:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Im looking to get a student loan from Ulster bank for €2700 - I earn well enough to pay it back, however, it says on their website that student loans over €1300 need a parental Guarantor. Unfortunately, my mother is on careers allowance and my father is an unemployed construction worker. My mother has a fair bit of debt - but never misses a payment and has almost perfect credit history and my father doesn't even have bank account.

Would I be correct in assuming that they wouldn't be accepted as a guarantor?

Are there any other options?

It says on their website:
    If the need to borrow arises, come and talk to us about our rates for students. You can apply for a student loan for anything up to €1,300 per year from year 1 (€2,750 if parental guarantee is in place, maximum drawdown over duration of course €4,000).

Im an 18 year old, second year finance student and I have no previous credit history.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

They will test the guarantee for ability to repay so if in this case with a low fixed income and other debts it would be unlikely the bank would take them as guarantor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

I know it says parental guarantee - buy they might accept it from someone else, if thats possible for you?

Advertisement