Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tropical Fish Can they go up to a few days without Food like Goldfish ETC

Options
  • 07-08-2012 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

HI there

I have a 90 LItre tank there are 2 angel fish in it. I usually feed them 2 times per day each day. Is it possible for them to last a few days without food? If so up to how many days. I read through another thread on this subject but it related to Goldfish so im guessing mine are warm water tropical fishes so there may be a difference being the tropical fish being warm blooded. Any advice greatly appreciated. but if its possible just for them to diet a few days i would prefer that as to not use a feeding block

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Yes. Nearly all fish can go a few days without food in fact most fish keepers include a day or two of no food as part of their feeding routine. I wouldn't go past two days myself as after that the fishes condition will deteriorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've left mine for a week with no ill effects. I wouldn't go any longer than that though. From what I've heard the feeding blocks are terrible for polluting the water

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

Ive left mine without food for a long weekend, up to 4 days; giving them a little bit more before I left. Any more than that and I get a neighbour in to feed them. But whereas I normally feed once a day, I just get my neighbour to feed them every second day - and have done this when away for a month, and its been grand. Id prefer that than the risk of overfeeding & water quality issues

In fact, depending on your fish, its amazing how changes in temperature and/or feeding routines can trigger breeding!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Yes.

Most fishkeepers put their fish on a "starvation day" once a week.

This is to help the tank process the excess nutrients generated through the week.

This starvation day is usually done on the same day you clean your filter.

Edit: If you go for a starvation day, split the feeding into smaller portions on the following day, or they may literally eat themselves to death. Slowly, slowly after a hungry day!

Advertisement