Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car rental company claims I put wrong fuel in car

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

LoanShark wrote: »
    I think people are getting a bit wide of the mark when they Re suggesting the OP may/maynot have put washed diesel into the car.. I agree that it is available out there but it's nothing to do with the case in hand..

The OP may not have know they where putting washed diesel in, it could have gone in with the last renter. Plenty of stations are selling washed diesel, not just dodgy yards along the boarder, and people driving loaners don't tend to look at anything other than price when they refill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Do most new cars only allow the correct fuel nozzle into the petrol cap?

My wife's Yaris 06 is petrol and a diesel nozzle wont fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

dave1982 wrote: »
    Do most new cars only allow the correct fuel nozzle into the petrol cap?

My wife's Yaris 06 is petrol and a diesel nozzle wont fit in.
    Think about it: the diesel nozzle is larger, so won't fit into the petrol filler pipe; the smaller petrol nozzle can fit into the wider diesel filler pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Think about it: the diesel nozzle is larger, so won't fit into the petrol filler pipe; the smaller petrol nozzle can fit into the wider diesel filler pipe.
    I think they're a different shape, but could be corrected on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

the_syco wrote: »
    I think they're a different shape, but could be corrected on that.
    Just note the number of cases reported of people putting petrol into a diesel tank!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Have written to the car rental place in Dublin and the corporate headquarters. Waiting to hear back now..

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Good news! Got an email the other day stating that they were closing the case. However the reasons for doing so are still a bit unclear. They couldn't pinpoint the reason for the deterioration in performance of the car, and said there was some confusion at their end which resulted in an invoice being issued to me. They said the following renter of the car only used it for half a day and reported the deterioration in performance, but that renter didn't put in any fuel themselves..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Pdoghue wrote: »
    Good news! Got an email the other day stating that they were closing the case. However the reasons for doing so are still a bit unclear. They couldn't pinpoint the reason for the deterioration in performance of the car, and said there was some confusion at their end which resulted in an invoice being issued to me. They said the following renter of the car only used it for half a day and reported the deterioration in performance, but that renter didn't put in any fuel themselves..
    Print out that email and keep it safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Possibly the car was sluggish because of a mechanical issue and the fuel "smelled like petrol" to someone at the rental outlet so they jumped to one conclusion. Luckily you had the sense to dispute the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Delighted for you, had a problem not so different to yours with a hire car company a few years back which resulted in me spending far too much time phoning and mailing them, but they saw sense in the end, well done to you for chasing it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭TheBody

Result!! Well done op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I had a spurious claim made on me by a car rental company a few years back and when I complained they dropped it without a fight. So I reckon they must just try it on and maybe one in ten or whatever will just accept it and pay up

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭TheTurk1972

I worked in a car rental outfit for the summer long ago.
    I could tell you some stories about the scams they did on their customers, but they were so outrageous you wouldnt believe me.
    Channel 4 Dispatches should put some undercover employees to car rental firms. There would be a great program in it.

Advertisement