Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on breaking in walking boots

Options
  • 07-08-2012 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭

I seem to have incredibly soft heels!

Bought another pair of Solomon Viaggio boots about a month ago, have walked about 50km in them and they're still giving me blisters.
    Any advice?

My old pair (which I loved and had for years) were also a pair of fabric Solomons, they were perect from the get go.
    Easily covered 1000's of kms in them, no problems. Didn't look after them properly though so they eventually got tiny splits in the material after about 4 years of constant use.

I'm nervous incase I'll have to stop using my new boots, I've previously had to stop using a pair of Brasher leather boots which after about 100km were still giving me blisters.
    They're now redundant and gathering dust under the stairs.

So any advice on breaking in these new boots much appreciated.
    Thanks

084473-43-1334075654902.jpg

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,250 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'd say your heel must be moving in the boot a bit, the fit probably isn't snug enough. I have a pair for the last 4 years that still to this day give me blisters if i'm walking long enough in them. Compede works wonders though.

I'd say if you've already walked 50km in them then they might never be fully comfortable. Custom insoles could be an option too, I know a few people who swear by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'd say if you've already walked 50km in them then they might never be fully comfortable.

Ah that's a shame... didn't really want to hear that.
    They feel snug enough, snugger than my old comfy boots infact.
    I will try the compede as you suggested and I have some insoles somewhere which I bought and never used for some other shoes, so I'll give that a go too.
    Thanks for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

There's various thingumejigs that can be put into boots that will stop your feet moving around. Insoles and tongue depressors in particular. They're probably worth a go, just in case it is caused by the foot moving around.

I got some in the Great Outdoors when I last bought a pair of boots.

Also perhaps try wearing two pairs of socks?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

try wearing a pair of 1000 miles socks under your usual walking socks. They are intended for running but should help eliminate blisters. They are comprised of an inner which rubs against the outer instead of your foot (not explaining it very well but I use them for marathons and they work a treat, I have used them for hill walking where I will be walking over consecutive days).
    As previously mentioned your feet may be moving a bit in the boot causing the blistering so dont be shy with the vaseline on the feet when heading out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

What socks are you using?

Have you considered getting an insole for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

I have always taken a hammer to heel of any offending boots! Put them on a concrete floor or step is better, turn them toe facing towards the ceiling or sky, and let rip. It really softens up the leather/fabric and always seems to work for me.

Advertisement