Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish man (28) charged over alleged assault on Australian Politician On TV

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Why would people be embarrassed over the actions of one? :confused:
    You are part of the Borg. You have been assimilated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

FullBeard wrote: »
    Selective use of "we" here -- maybe not by you, but in general. If he'd won a Nobel prize, it'd be "we" all round and aren't "we" proud.

But when he's a scumbag in Australia, suddenly he's nothing to do with the rest of us.

We're exporting a lot of feral, drunken louts these days to all corners and are rightfully getting a bad reputation as a result -- that we're a rough, uncultured, drink-sodden nation.

This is it. To those of us whom have no intention of ever moving to Australia, it does not matter a bollix.

But to thousands of Irish on a WHV, who are working their bollix off to secure sponsorship, this sort of nonsense will negatively affect them.

Which is unfair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

FullBeard wrote: »
    Selective use of "we" here -- maybe not by you, but in general. If he'd won a Nobel prize, it'd be "we" all round and aren't "we" proud.

But when he's a scumbag in Australia, suddenly he's nothing to do with the rest of us.

We're exporting a lot of feral, drunken louts these days to all corners and are rightfully getting a bad reputation as a result -- that we're a rough, uncultured, drink-sodden nation.

Not really, I've never been proud/ashamed to be Irish based on someone else's antics/acheivements. Happy for them, yes, but not because of a shared birthpace.

If we're exporting a lot of feral, drunken louts, then perhaps the probelm is not Australia?
    IrishAm wrote: »
    This is it. To those of us whom have no intention of ever moving to Australia, it does not matter a bollix.

But to thousands of Irish on a WHV, who are working their bollix off to secure sponsorship, this sort of nonsense will negatively affect them.

Which is unfair.

Which is fair enough, but that's not being ashamed. That's more being angry and fearful of the possible reputussions.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Assault my arse.

The manhandling of the clown aftrewards was worse than the initial attack.

Typical tabloid australian tv. Every channel competes to try and appeal to the lowest common demoninator.

There are a lot of drunken irish clowns in australia. There are also a lot of drunken australian clowns in edinburgh and london, however a minor incident like this would not be blown out of all proportion. When young ~20 year olds of most nations get opportunities like this to live abroad a lot will get a bit carried away with the freedom. I guess because of the high proportion of irish in australia we may appear worse than some of the other nationalities who visit there. But from my experience there was no diff between irish, english, american, canadian, scandinavian amongst other nationalities on australian trips.

Australians seem to have a habit of making some nationality scapegoats for internal problems. When I was there it was the lebanese who were at fault for an explosion of the latent aussie xenophobia culminating in riots on the sydney beaches and petrol bombing of mosques (by aussies not lebanese). Somehow in spite of most the criminal acts being committed by aussies the lebanese community got all the bad press. The aborigines were the drunken louts before the press picked on the irish. The funny thing is though the really serious incidents involving drink like assaults resulting in deaths always seemed to be australians.

The fact that it was a politician speaking about drunken violence who was then 'assaulted' by an alleged drunk seems very suspicious to me. The nature of this so called assault also seemed a little odd. Why would you give someone an ankle tap like that. Surely the first instinct of any drunk would be to throw a dig.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Which is fair enough, but that's not being ashamed. That's more being angry and fearful of the possible reputussions.

I will never be ashamed of being Irish, unlike some of the goons on here. But if I was working my ass off to secure sponsorship, like thousands of my fellow compatriots are at the moment, this shit would annoy the bollix off me.

The Irish community in Australia needs to put it up to some of the scum and let them know that their behaviour shall no longer be tolerated.

Rightly or wrongly, their behaviour reflects on us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

I hate hostels and never stay in them, so that will never be an issue. ;) I also know of a fair few people doing very well in Australia at the moment, to the point of some of them gaining Australian citizenship after just a few years there. This "reputation" doesn't seem to adversely affecting them. So, if you want to be embarrassed at the behaviour of some abroad, go right ahead. But kindly don't tell me I should be.

No doubt that goon shares you attitude, otherwise he might have thought twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I hate hostels and never stay in them, so that will never be an issue. I also know of a fair few people doing very well in Australia at the moment, to the point of some of them gaining Australian citizenship after just a few years there. This "reputation" doesn't seem to adversely affecting them. So, if you want to be embarrassed at the behaviour of some abroad, go right ahead. But kindly don't tell me I should be.

Christ, dense or what.

Even after having it explained clearly, you still don't get it and are giving it the "it doesn't affect me" line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Higher wrote: »
    . We were actually refused drinks in some places completely sober because we were Irish.

You were in my left one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

conorhal wrote: »
    No doubt that goon shares you attitude, otherwise he might have thought twice.

Makes not a jot of sense. Just a nonsensical cheap shot. Kudos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I hate hostels and never stay in them, so that will never be an issue. ;) I also know of a fair few people doing very well in Australia at the moment, to the point of some of them gaining Australian citizenship after just a few years there. This "reputation" doesn't seem to adversely affecting them. So, if you want to be embarrassed at the behaviour of some abroad, go right ahead. But kindly don't tell me I should be.

Talk it from someone who lives here, it has an affect on all of us.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Talk it from someone who lives here, it has an affect on all of us.

Even the ones who are prospering and generally doing well out there? And if you are facing problems, that would tell me more about Australians than anyone else TBH.

dirtyden wrote: »
    Assault my arse.

The manhandling of the clown aftrewards was worse than the initial attack.

Typical tabloid australian tv. Every channel competes to try and appeal to the lowest common demoninator.

There are a lot of drunken irish clowns in australia. There are also a lot of drunken australian clowns in edinburgh and london, however a minor incident like this would not be blown out of all proportion. When young ~20 year olds of most nations get opportunities like this to live abroad a lot will get a bit carried away with the freedom. I guess because of the high proportion of irish in australia we may appear worse than some of the other nationalities who visit there. But from my experience there was no diff between irish, english, american, canadian, scandinavian amongst other nationalities on australian trips.

Australians seem to have a habit of making some nationality scapegoats for internal problems. When I was there it was the lebanese who were at fault for an explosion of the latent aussie xenophobia culminating in riots on the sydney beaches and petrol bombing of mosques (by aussies not lebanese). Somehow in spite of most the criminal acts being committed by aussies the lebanese community got all the bad press. The aborigines were the drunken louts before the press picked on the irish. The funny thing is though the really serious incidents involving drink like assaults resulting in deaths always seemed to be australians.

The fact that it was a politician speaking about drunken violence who was then 'assaulted' by an alleged drunk seems very suspicious to me. The nature of this so called assault also seemed a little odd. Why would you give someone an ankle tap like that. Surely the first instinct of any drunk would be to throw a dig.

Ah yes, it must have staged by the Aussie tabloid media scum who are just looking for another ethnicity to pick on :rolleyes:

Makes not a jot of sense.

You may see yourself as a sophisticated citizen of the world. Fair 'nuff.

The rest of the world doesn't.

If a load of Irish goons are running amok in Australia and you choose to move to Australia, some Australians will form a negative opinion of Irish people. Including yourself. This will affect you when you go for employment, try to rent a property and numerous other daily interactions.

Even the ones who are prospering and generally doing well out there? And if you are facing problems, that would tell me more about Australians than anyone else TBH.

I'm doing very well for myself - good job, great prospects and a super lifestyle - however, the average bouncer/barman doesn't know that nor do they or should they care.

If they've had problems with Irish idiots in the past they're understandably going to be wary about the next lot. That's a problem we've created, they're just looking out for number one and that's perfectly reasonable.

Same goes for renting a property which is no easy talk if you're Irish in one of the big cities where the reputation preceeds you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭FullBeard

Not really, I've never been proud/ashamed to be Irish based on someone else's antics/acheivements. Happy for them, yes, but not because of a shared birthpace.

Then you and I have the same mindset. But most people do not share that mindset and love their tribe for no other reason than an accident of birth. And most other people have a habit of ascribing traits to certain groups. Sad but true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

I watched this on Youtube and some of the comments were hilarious, someone wrote "Send him back to his mammy" left by someone who was not Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭NS77

I'm a proud Irishman and I have high standards for my country. Yet, there are those who insist in dragging this country down - like the drunken knuckle-dragger in this video.

Yes, there are plenty of 20 yr olds from plenty of countries misbehaving. Does that excuse the behavoiur of the Irish at home and abroad? No way. Why not have high standards for our country? Why not be the country that poeple look up to?

Makes me sick how far we done fell:

You may see yourself as a sophisticated citizen of the world. Fair 'nuff.

Let's take a leisurely stroll back through the thread to see where I posted that, IrishAm. You first. :)

If a load of Irish goons are running amok in Australia and you choose to move to Australia, some Australians will form a negative opinion of Irish people. Including yourself. This will affect you when you go for employment, try to rent a property and numerous other daily interactions.

Again, it doesn't seem to affecting people I know. *shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

Bambi wrote: »
    Why did this stupid c**t wait till he was over in upsidedowny land to start kicking politicians? :mad:

anyone wanna try guess what county he was from? It'll be fun

I suppose that every town and village in Ireland has an asshole capable of this kind of behaviour. We do serious diss in respect of that famous 5 to 10% at the margins of our society. They may be few in numbers but have a great track record in punching above their weight where hassle is concerned. Betcha he was a twit in his own cabbage patch back here before he ever went down under.

I'm doing very well for myself - good job, great prospects and a super lifestyle - however, the average bouncer/barman doesn't know that nor do they or should they care.

If they've had problems with Irish idiots in the past they're understandably going to be wary about the next lot. That's a problem we've created, they're just looking out for number one and that's perfectly reasonable.

Same goes for renting a property which is no easy talk if you're Irish in one of the big cities where the reputation preceeds you.

Well, I can't speak of gaining accommodation, but my view of bouncers is generally low, so that really wouldn't bother me. Less of the "we" stuff, seriously.

• Advertisement

Well, I can't speak of gaining accommodation, but my view of bouncers is generally low, so that really wouldn't bother me. Less of the "we" stuff, seriously.

Ah so if it doesn't matter to you then it doesn't count is that it? Not go on many nights out where it could be an issue?

Have you been to Australia for any length of time as a matter of interest? Or are your dismissals just based on the stories of others?

I hope Australia culls the WHV. As a nation, we need our youth instead of exporting them and to address our own problems.

Canada can fuck right off with their working holiday visa too.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

I hope Australia culls the WHV. As a nation, we need our youth instead of exporting them and to address our own problems.

We need them for what? Sitting at home on the dole?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Let's take a leisurely stroll back through the thread to see where I posted that, IrishAm. You first. :)

Again, it doesn't seem to affecting people I know. *shrug*

Yeah....wonderful attitude that

We need them for what? Sitting at home on the dole?:confused:

A lot of them are university educated. Its a brain drain. We need our educated youth to get us out of this recession.

A nation is nothing without its youth.

A lot of them are university educated. Its a brain drain. We need our educated youth to get us out of this recession.

Yeah but for the vast majority of those who left they had no choice. There is simply no work.

Ah so if it doesn't matter to you then it doesn't count is that it? Not go on many nights out where it could be an issue?

Have you been to Australia for any length of time as a matter of interest? Or are your dismissals just based on the stories of others?

Oh noes, I might not be able to get into a pub, what will I do? Stories of others but they're, ya know, friends?

Again, if you want to be embarrassed by the behaviour of some, go right ahead. :cool:

Oh noes, I might not be able to get into a pub, what will I do? Stories of others but they're, ya know, friends?

Again, if you want to be embarrassed by the behaviour of some, go right ahead. :cool:

As i thought, you know fuck all. I'll continue to go with my first hand experience over your hear say.

conorhal wrote: »
    Yeah....wonderful attitude that

What are you TALKING about? :confused:

As i thought, you know fuck all. I'll continue to go with my first hand experience over your hear say.

You appear to have a good life over there. What is to be embarrassed about? Seriously? As for bouncers turning people away, they are a capricious bunch as it is, hardly a smoking gun, now is it?

• Advertisement

You appear to have a good life over there. What is to be embarrassed about? Seriously? As for bouncers turning people away, they are a capricious bunch as it is, hardly a smoking gun, now is it?

I never said I was embarrassed though, and I'm not in the slightest.

All I said is that the actions of others have fallout for the rest of us, which is definitely the case with more WHVs and more incidents making the press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I will never be ashamed of being Irish, unlike some of the goons on here. But if I was working my ass off to secure sponsorship, like thousands of my fellow compatriots are at the moment, this shit would annoy the bollix off me.

The Irish community in Australia needs to put it up to some of the scum and let them know that their behaviour shall no longer be tolerated.

Rightly or wrongly, their behaviour reflects on us all.

No it doesn't. And that's not said simply because I have no intentions of going down under. I've lived about 10 years abroad and I don;t think I've ever been judged by my nationality once. But if I did, I wouldn't go feeling ashamed because of my nationality. Or proud of it. Yes, I might suffer some adverse consequences because of it, but that's not going to change the amount of pirde or lack thereof related to it.

Sounds like you just want to sit around and wait for other people to come back and sort out your problems for you. If Ireland valued it's youth it would do a bit more to hang on to it, such as job and opportunity creation.

A drunken Irish lad kicked an Australian politician on live tv.

If there is a debate on discontinuing the WHV for Irish citizens in the Australian parliament and its put to a vote, how do you think this lad will go?

If Irish people continue to act the bollix in Australia, it will eventually have a majorly negative impact on all Irish people wanting to emigrate to Australia.

No matter what your wee pals tell you.

I never said I was embarrassed though, and I'm not in the slightest.

All I said is that the actions of others have fallout for the rest of us, which is definitely the case with more WHVs and more incidents making the press.

Fair enough. I'm not really sure what can be done though. Thugs are going to do what they've always done, wherever they are.

Fair enough. I'm not really sure what can be done though. Thugs are going to do what they've always done, wherever they are.

I agree, but shrugging it off isn't going to help matters either.

Tbh I'd love to see some zero tolerance from the police over here. The lads from home have had it too soft with the gardai and have developed an "I'll do whatever I like" attitude which is at the root of a lot of these incidents we read about.

Sounds like you just want to sit around and wait for other people to come back and sort out your problems for you. If Ireland valued it's youth it would do a bit more to hang on to it, such as job and opportunity creation.

Not at all. Couldn't be further from the truth. All my problems begin and end with myself. But I digress.

Do you think that it is healthy for a nation to invest heavily in education only to export its youth when they graduate from university?

Its suicide.

Give enterprise Ireland a large budget to invest in indigenous start ups.

Not at all. Couldn't be further from the truth. All my problems begin and end with myself. But I digress.

Do you think that it is healthy for a nation to invest heavily in education only to export its youth when they graduate from university?

Its suicide.

Yeah but what can be done about it?

Yeah but what can be done about it?

That is the million dollar question and one that cannot be answered on this forum.

Its suicide.

No, of course it's not healthy, but that's the reality.

Beyond that, I agree with you. But a lot of young people tend to not feel a sence of national duty any more. They do what they need to do because they want to succeed, not because of national pride, because success, like failure, reflects on you as a person and not as a nationality.

You are not your nationality!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

he looks like Joey Barton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

leftleg wrote: »
    he looks like Joey Barton

Reminded me of a young Sean Penn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Higher wrote: »
    Its funny how racists on this site complain about foreigners in this country misbehaving when the Irish over in Australia are literally acting the bollix. I was over there and the Irish were utterly disgraceful. We were actually refused drinks in some places completely sober because we were Irish.

Yeah - I think a lot of Australians are perplexed that Irish knackers fly halfway around the world solely to dress up in elaborate testicle costumes and act out Shakespearean dramas on improvised stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dionysius2

Probably the best way to view this is to regard this delinquent as one who belongs to that disaffected group in practically all societies who must get a fool's pardon all their lives. They are small in number and like the poor have always been with us. They are seldom taken seriously by anyone least of all those who know them best, i.e., their own peer group who are not making an instant judgment after all. Mostly they are not evil, just eejits, who are a waste of space until they get a grip and make an effort to contribute which some of them actually do. The rest just muddle through life as the eejits they have always been from Day 1.

Advertisement