Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Le Blaa

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

It ain't no "special" that's for sure.

But it's good to see y'all defending it. Hopefully you'll go down and spend your hard earned down there now!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

Tough one to call, I wouldn't go as far as to call it a "rip off" but I would say I have definitely seen better value.
    It is a nice atmosphere with a great staff but I would venture to think the place was not busy, at those prices you will get the odd customer but will never be under pressure.
    Business 101, make your money in volumes. knock down the price to €5, they will fly out. You have council workers all around you that don't leave their desks for lunch ( OK, might be a stretch ) that could quite possibly be a 20 Blaa sale and it's within walking distance....think big!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

7.95 seems a bit harsh for a blaa but a lot of places in Waterford charge similar amounts for paninis/toasted sandwiches. There about €5 in Tramore without a drink.

Tbh, Subway have a cracking deal at the moment where you can get two six inch subs (unlimited amount of salads/dressings and a decent amount of your main filling and cheese), a large drink/coffee/tea and Crisps/Cookie for €9.99. The drinks you can re-fill also, free of charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭superglue

Nas10 wrote: »
    €7.95 for a lovely roasted ham blaa with relish and salad with wedges and a proper mug of tea and good staff service. Long may it last and its great to see locals running it and having great deals.

I'd agree that this is good value. At the risk of making a tired comparison, you'll pay similar money for a Big Mac meal but you don't see too many people complaining about that. I know I'd rather be eating a bla any day of the week.

I was in there a few weeks ago with my girlfriend. Food was lovely with friendly, personal service and it didn't break the bank. I'll definitely be back the next time I'm in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

That's about a buck fifty worth of food and drink. For 7.95?! And they're on Facebook calling it a special! Le rip off if you ask me.
    I was in a restaurant the other day, and they were charging 18 quid for a steak! Sure you could get a steak in a butcher's for 4 quid. What a rip off! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

wow, you rolled your eyes at me. You win!

For the record, I have no problem with them charging that - just don't go telling me it's a "special".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

€8!!!

Come off it. Crazy prices.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I was in a restaurant the other day, and they were charging 18 quid for a steak! Sure you could get a steak in a butcher's for 4 quid. What a rip off! :rolleyes:

What type of steak? Remember that the price of food consists of other businesses costs as well so its not a big profit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Up2NoGood wrote: »
    Tough one to call, I wouldn't go as far as to call it a "rip off" but I would say I have definitely seen better value.
    It is a nice atmosphere with a great staff but I would venture to think the place was not busy, at those prices you will get the odd customer but will never be under pressure.
    Business 101, make your money in volumes. knock down the price to €5, they will fly out. You have council workers all around you that don't leave their desks for lunch ( OK, might be a stretch ) that could quite possibly be a 20 Blaa sale and it's within walking distance....think big!

I haven't been in there yet so wont comment. When i do, I will give my verdict.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Sully wrote: »
    What type of steak? Remember that the price of food consists of other businesses costs as well so its not a big profit.
    I was only taking the piss. I was just getting at the comments giving out that it was such and such a price, when it only costs x amount for the food.

If you go into town to sit down for a lunch, 7.95 isn't too bad, especially in the touristy part of town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

Sully wrote: »
    7.95 seems a bit harsh for a blaa but a lot of places in Waterford charge similar amounts for paninis/toasted sandwiches. There about €5 in Tramore without a drink.

Tbh, Subway have a cracking deal at the moment where you can get two six inch subs (unlimited amount of salads/dressings and a decent amount of your main filling and cheese), a large drink/coffee/tea and Crisps/Cookie for €9.99. The drinks you can re-fill also, free of charge.

While your price doesnt include a drink in tramore, and a tea wouldnt be 2.95 its still seems reasonable enough for a tourist spot in town. I wonder how it compares to bishops palace cafe just up the road from it,

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Karyn27

I went in here the other day cos I saw that it has a new chef and wanted to try it out. They don't do rasher blaas anymore, which I was a little disappointed about, but she's got really good blaa fillers instead, and it's waaay cheaper now.

Fair play to her for making a go of this and making it cheaper for people to eat around that area. It's probably tempting to charge all them tourists an arm and a leg.

I'll be making it my regular lunch spot anyway.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

You wouldn't happen to be the "her" by any chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Why do blaas without rashers?!

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

I was only in there yesterday and was disappointed their was no sausage rasher blaa. That's the only reason I used to go there.

Jaysus, you cant give a compliment thesedays without being accused of something underhanded. I don't know her, just got talking to her in there the other day and she was nice so thought I'd give her a bit of promotion.

I know, rasher blaas are the best!

Karyn27 wrote: »
    Jaysus, you cant give a compliment thesedays without being accused of something underhanded. I don't know her, just got talking to her in there the other day and she was nice so thought I'd give her a bit of promotion.

I know, rasher blaas are the best!

Just looks a bit suspicious when someone joins boards, digs up a thread that hasn't had a post in October and just plugs the business and then doesn't post anywhere else. :)

9/10 there is a connection :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭jake is right

• Registered Users Posts: 38 JosephPatrick

I went in there the Thursday (day after?) after they reopened and wasn't impressed. It was lunch time and nearly empty but there were only 4 blaa fillings out (ham, cheese, lettuce and sundried tomatoes.)
    Had a slice of the roasted pepper and goats cheese quiche which was actually lovely but it was barely warm and took the best part of 15 minutes to slice and put on a plate.
    The two women working there were nice but I wouldn't go back there.

Oh Sully, why so synical? There are still a few people out there who do things without their own gain in mind.

Actually the first thing that popped up when I typed 'Le Blaa' into Google was this thread, so I joined up to give the girl a little promotion.

Marketing is making you lose your faith in the good of people.

• Advertisement

Karyn27 wrote: »
    Oh Sully, why so synical? There are still a few people out there who do things without their own gain in mind.

Actually the first thing that popped up when I typed 'Le Blaa' into Google was this thread, so I joined up to give the girl a little promotion.

Marketing is making you lose your faith in the good of people.

I knew you would react like that. The cynic inside me predicted it.

Thankfully, I did say 9/10 times. So while the vast majority of times its a shill, there is the odd rare moment where someone genuinely likes the business and has absolutely no connection.

I wouldn't blame marketing, I would blame it on experience. :)

Advertisement