Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please feel free to feed my kids.....as long as it doesnt have sugar in it.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    puffishoes wrote: »
    This over protective mind set is doing nothing for us, kids are going to be afraid of their own shadows with all these over reactions.

1 in 4 Irish children are clinically obese.

That can be from too many spuds on the plate, too many chips, too much rice/ pasta/ white bread, portion sizes are a big issue, it's not just not just limited to sweets or sugar.

Also its due to a lack of exercise.

Mainly the childs lifestyle on the whole, cutting out sweets isn't going to change anything, the life style has to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

cynder wrote: »
    That can be from too many spuds on the plate, too many chips, too much rice/ pasta/ white bread, portion sizes are a big issue, it's not just not just limited to sweets or sugar.

Also its due to a lack of exercise.

Mainly the childs lifestyle on the whole, cutting out sweets isn't going to change anything, the life style has to change.

The main dietary cause of obesity is eating too much sugar (or sugar proxies such as cornflakes or white bread), as opposed to eating too much.

Obviously lack of exercise is a contributary factor, but we're not really going to debate that poor diet and obesity are not linked are we?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

1 in 4 Irish children are clinically obese.

What has this got to do with a butcher offering a lolly?

If you feed your child in a healthy way they won't be obese.

The local butcher offering a lolly did not cause a child to be obese the parent who didn't feed the child correctly did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

The main dietary cause of obesity is eating too much sugar (or sugar proxies such as cornflakes or white bread), as opposed to eating too much.

Obviously lack of exercise is a contributary factor, but we're not really going to debate that poor diet and obesity are not linked are we?

but how is it linked to someone offering a child a lolly?

eating sweets in moderation is fine. teach and educate your child and it won't be a problem.

puffishoes wrote: »
    What has this got to do with a butcher offering a lolly?

You tell me, you are the one who is bringing it up repeatedly.

I made reference to a situation where kids are being offerred sweets in many different places, of which that was one.

And i take your point, educate your kids. You are right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I'd agree that the problem is people not asking permission. I feel your pain OP, but have to add that a lot of people (with a smidgen of cop-on) do address the question to me. I had to laugh at the idea of saving it for later. My two-year old is just that - a two year old and he wants it when it's put in his face:eek:

With my fella, the sugar rush is not really the problem, it's the disruption of meals and particularly the nappies! I'm constantly amazed at what people offer my child and have done since he started eating- crisps, coke, chocolate and sweets. My biggest problem is my mother-in-law who lets him eat as many biscuits as he wants:rolleyes:

I'd agree that the problem is people not asking permission. I feel your pain OP, but have to add that a lot of people (with a smidgen of cop-on) do address the question to me. I had to laugh at the idea of saving it for later. My two-year old is just that - a two year old and he wants it when it's put in his face:eek:

With my fella, the sugar rush is not really the problem, it's the disruption of meals and particularly the nappies! I'm constantly amazed at what people offer my child and have done since he started eating- crisps, coke, chocolate and sweets. My biggest problem is my mother-in-law who lets him eat as many biscuits as he wants:rolleyes:

Absolutely agree; I have no problem with people asking me first, in fact I greatly appreciate when they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭MrTsSnickers

Why don't you just take it off the old lady or whoever when they offer it and tell the child they can have it later. Alternatively, take it off the child and tell him/her they can have it later. People like to be kind to children, big whop, it's ultimately up to you to do what you think is right - old lady on the bus fishing out a glacier mint is being nice, just teach your kid to say thanks and you swipe it off them and tell her something like s/he's having his dinner in 15/20 mins, it'll be a nice treat after, thanks, smile politely and continue on your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I took my 5 yr old to a paediatric consultation recently & as we were sitting down at his desk the Dr handed her & my 2-yr old a bag of crisps without so much as a glance at me. Normally I don't worry too much about the "nice old ladies" who want to give a sweet, but I was shocked that a consultant would blatently hand over crisps without asking first.

I can only imagine how much worse the appoint would have gone if my kids had balked at the idea that I wouldn't let them have all the crisps straight away (or had started fighting over them, or spilling them, or had an allergic reaction to them....).

As far as I'm concerned, I usually let my kids have the odd lolly from the chemist, but I appreciate being asked first. And being honest, I'd rather the kids get a sticker instead of a sweet - my girls get at least as excited by stickers & then I don't have the whole sugar thing to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

I am sick of this myself op. I don't know what it is but 20 mins after my kids get treats they go mad like crazy mad. I don't believe that sugar doesn't cause a rush. I think that research was done by sugar companies lol. Anyway. I like to be asked because I always ask. also what if a child had an allergy. I am fed up with it because its a constant battle in our family. I originally had 2 kids that got very little bad food and now because of family, ie. grandparents who have minded them 4 me on different occasions. my kids expect to be allowed that stuff. My mother in law even handed my 2 year old a cup of coke one day. I mean Omg who gives a 2 year old coke. thankfully i was there to intervene. It's not parents being over protective either as one poster said. Its common sense and looking out for your kids well being. Even if getting bad sugary done doesn't seem to debt them now it will when they're older.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

2 days ago I offered some sweets to my 3 year old niece Ava.. Her mum (my sister) thanked me, took the sweets and told Ava that she could have them after dinner.
    There was no fuss, no tantrums (Though I imagine it wasn't like this the first time).

Personally, I think this is a really great approach as it teaches some self discipline & encourages the consumption of sweets as a treat and not as a meal substitute.

Daffodil.d wrote: »
    I am sick of this myself op. I don't know what it is but 20 mins after my kids get treats they go mad like crazy mad. I don't believe that sugar doesn't cause a rush. I think that research was done by sugar companies lol. Anyway. I like to be asked because I always ask. also what if a child had an allergy. I am fed up with it because its a constant battle in our family. I originally had 2 kids that got very little bad food and now because of family, ie. grandparents who have minded them 4 me on different occasions. my kids expect to be allowed that stuff. My mother in law even handed my 2 year old a cup of coke one day. I mean Omg who gives a 2 year old coke. thankfully i was there to intervene. It's not parents being over protective either as one poster said. Its common sense and looking out for your kids well being. Even if getting bad sugary done doesn't seem to debt them now it will when they're older.

Funny, I was in the 2 euro shop the one day. kids were on lunch from school all stocking up on cans and bars for their lunch, my bets are those kids parents haven't a clue what they are eating, none of the kids were fat/ overweight but I wonder if they are making up for what they never got.

The ones who impose sweet bans could be the ones whose kids stuff their faces when their parents back is turned.

Daffodil.d wrote: »

Funny, I was in the 2 euro shop the one day. kids were on lunch from school all stocking up on cans and bars for their lunch, my bets are those kids parents haven't a clue what they are eating, none of the kids were fat/ overweight but I wonder if they are making up for what they never got.

The ones who impose sweet bans could be the ones whose kids stuff their faces when their parents back is turned.
    myself and my sister have had this debate. in the end we came to the conclusion that kids still need to know what's bad. I constantly question myself on that issue and do allow sweets and chocolate sometimes but its enough. As regards to the kids buying their own lunch. Their parents know what they're having because if they were the type to be concerned they would hand the kids money. Also another point. I am not naive enough to think my kids would have always eaten really well but i wanted them to at least get a good long foundation while they're young. chances are by the time they're old enough to go to the sins themselves they'll be buying all sorts because they want to be like their friends. i think the reason i am so fussy myself is because i had whatever i wanted and cakes and sweets were a big part of my life and now my Mam is diabetic and i struggle with my own weight.

My daughter is diabetic. Type 1 since age 7 she is almost 13, starting secondary school in September. We will be giving her money. Not a packed lunch.

2 of my grandparents were type 2.

I know only too well the pros and cons of sugar.

Balance is the key.... We have to pass that message on to the kids.

Sugar is good too, my daughter's locker will be filled with coke and biscuits for the hypos she will have.

My daughter is diabetic. Type 1 since age 7 she is almost 13, starting secondary school in September. We will be giving her money. Not a packed lunch.

2 of my grandparents were type 2.

I know only too well the pros and cons of sugar.

Balance is the key.... We have to pass that message on to the kids.

Sugar is good too, my daughter's locker will be filled with coke and biscuits for the hypos she will have.
    I totally understand that too I had it myself during pregnancy and struggled to keep my sugar levels down. You are the one over seeing the lunch your daughter has though which is good and people are good in that situation the don't just hand done over without questioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭war_child

Been reading this thread and have to say it made me chortle somewhat, everyone eager to give advice on nutrition and parenting without one actual nutritionalist in sight , and i dont believe in parenting experts cozwhat works for one wont work for someone else , take care of your own kids and be done with everyone elses.

Truly silly Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭MrTsSnickers

"Been reading this thread and have to say it made me chortle somewhat, everyone eager to give advice on nutrition and parenting without one actual nutritionalist in sight , and i dont believe in parenting experts cozwhat works for one wont work for someone else , take care of your own kids and be done with everyone elses.

Truly silly Thread"

I don't think that nutritionalists exist. Dietitians on the other hand would be very useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭battleaxe88

I see where the OP is coming from. Yes, I would see it as common courtesy to ask the parent of a young child first before offering sweets but that doesn't always happen. I've a 3yo and if we're out and she's offered sweets, if I feel it's not the right time for her to be eating sweets i'll thank whoever gave her the sweets and put it in my bag for another time.

Regardless of how my daughter responds to this doesn't bother me. At the end of the day, I'm the parent. People can offer her sweets all day long but it's up to me if she gets them or not, so I don't see it as an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

just a teeny tiny point thats been bugging me as ive been reading this,

the idea that a lolly pop given by a butchers would ruin a meal or ice cream given at an uncles,

even if they were right next door you are still about 40 minutes minimum from a meal (unless you are cooking that ready in 10 minutes stuff)

if they live further away thats what? a possible 45 minutes or more to meal?

ice cream shouldn't fill them so long that they wouldn't eat a dinner after half an hour or longer without food?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

It seems there is no shortage of people out there who will randomly and out of the blue produce lollipops, biscuits, chocolate, yoghurts, fizzy orange, fizz bombs or whatever it is for the kids to eat.

I'll be on the bus, and some old dear will take a packet of jellies our of her bag and start waving them. We'll be in the butchers and he will throw a lollipop at them. We'll visit a grand-uncle and it will be a choice of ice-cream, coffee cake, 6 month old ginger snaps or TK lemonade.

For a long time, I was patient enough with this as quite clearly, they are only trying to be nice.

But it is just pissing me off more and more - why?

Number 1: It is hard enough to get kids to eat their dinner of potato, chicken and carrot......but if they have a belly full of ice cream then its simply not possible.
    Number 2: Random stranger or kind relative doesnt have to deal with tantrum two hours later when kids have sugar rush and empty stomach.
    Number 3: Any fool can win favour with a kid by giving them a packet of jellies...it requires no effort.....what are you proving?
    Number 4: Sugar is bad for kids. Why are you giving it to them, especially when they are not asking for it.
    Number 5: A child who isnt crying will pretty damny sure start crying if I tell them they cant have that chocolate kimberly you are waving in their face.
    Number 6: Myself and my wife are the ones who wake up in the middle of the night when they are crying, who run around like blue arsed flies in the morning to get them dressed and fed, who devote all our energies to entertaining them, educating them, feeding them, clothing them. Treat time is a nice time for parents to have with their kids. But they can only have so many treats in a day. Why are you denying me this?

If you want to feed my kids without asking me first.....thats fine, as long as its a leaf of lettuce, a sprig of broccoli, a slice of tomato. Knock yourself out.

Sorry for rant folks. Long weekend.

I totally see where you are coming from, its a real bug-bear of mine too. Especially when its from family members, uncles, aunts, grand parents - you feel like you cant tell them no (I have no problem saying no to a stranger). You get the whole - ah sure I only see them once a month, let them have cake at 3 in the afternoon followed by chocolate biscuits and orange.

Then you have to deal with kids who are not hungry at dinner time, when you have gone to the effort of cooking a nutricious meal. Grrrrr. And what about the chocolate biscuits I had bought for them for a treat after dinner? Now I cant give them because they havent eaten dinner but ate crap all afternoon already......You are fun aunty who gives them chocolate and I am grumpy mummy who wont let them have anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

To be honest op I would'nt agree with your vent, I know the butcher, chemist or even doctor I bring my kids to and all have lolly pop's. They get one in the doctor's. If I'm going to the chemist and they are with me I tell them no lollies here guys and same in butcher.

I have sweets, taytos etc in my house, the kids know they are there and know when they can and cant have any.

My sister is the total opposite, she never allows her children any form of a sugary treat, they come out to our house they know they are allowed some or if they go to a party they are the last to leave the party table as they don't know when they'll get one again where as mine don't really bother with them at all.

Any way my point is your their parent if they not allowed them tell them before the enter these shops etc. It anyone offer's them any treat's tell them no their not allowed. I have mine told never talk or take anything from a stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Ok, reading the replies here is making me think that my two-year old is an unmerciful brat! He simply doesn't understand "you can have it later". In fact, the term 'later' is a mystery to him.

I think it's only manners that people ask if it's ok to give him a sweet. It's the same with lifting my three month old out of her buggy, taking a photo or calling out after their bedtime. I am the parent, let me make the decisions please!:rolleyes:

RubyGirl wrote: »

I have sweets, taytos etc in my house, the kids know they are there and know when they can and cant have any.

My sister is the total opposite, she never allows her children any form of a sugary treat, they come out to our house they know they are allowed some or if they go to a party they are the last to leave the party table as they don't know when they'll get one again where as mine don't really bother with them at all.

i have said this before and as she is now three ill update,

we rarely stopped people giving our daughter chocolate, biscuits,fizzy drinks and ice creams, (grandparents, great-grandparents, us)

but if in my grandmothers she had an ice cream and biscuits, it was tomatoes, grapes, strawberries,cheese or yogurt snacks for the rest of the day.

if she was at home with me for the day, she'd have her cereal for breakfast, pasta, fruit or veg lunch, and veg potatoes meat dinner. in between she would be allowed snack as she chose including the sweets/treats above,

because no fuss was made and we balanced her diet based on what she had eaten, to this day she will go to the fridge and grab a yogurt or some cheese while ignoring the shelf of chocolate buttons, she's plaguing me at the moment for strawberries despite a cupboard being full of her favorite hula hoops. she will choose water over a fizzy drink.

at her cousins communion this year, she ignored the sweet table in favour of the lasagne, while her cousins (who are only permitted to eat sweets at parties) devoured the sweets and cakes at the table and rarely left it!

and its not the first party ive seen this happen.

hoodwinked wrote: »

because no fuss was made and we balanced her diet based on what she had eaten, to this day she will go to the fridge and grab a yogurt or some cheese while ignoring the shelf of chocolate buttons...

at her cousins communion this year, she ignored the sweet table in favour of the lasagne, while her cousins (who are only permitted to eat sweets at parties) devoured the sweets and cakes at the table and rarely left it!

I think thats a different argument, it doesnt relate to the OP.

At no point did I say, Kids should never be given sugary treats. Not at all.

My point is that yes they should be given treats, but that it should be controlled and not unrestricted.

The word 'treat' itself implies something rare. Some people have suggested that I am implying people that people who offer kids sweets are stupid. Thats not the case at all.

But for example if you take an elderly person, say a person who is mid-70s, would have grown up in an era of extreme austerity where it was extremely rare for a child to receive a bar of chocolate, and if they did then it was a genuine treat; and perhaps they still have that mindset. They don't 'get' the notion that obesity could be a problem and that sugary foods are in abundance.

A treat in this day and age is not rare, they are readily available at all times and are ubiquitous. Every high street has a fast food outlet. In a petrol station, 95% of the food on offer could safely be deemed unhealthy. Several of our holidays - Halloween, Easter, birthday parties, Christmas - are gorge-fests.

My point simply is, yes children should have treats, absolutely. However it should be controlled and it should be consistent with a healthy diet, which means (by todays standards) moderation. That control needs to come in some way or another from parents. If a person, whether that be stranger of friend or family, is offering sweets or sugary foods directly to kids, this challenges the parents control. I know control is a strong word, I don't mean strict regimental control, I mean generally speaking dietary discipline such that the kids sugar consumption is not excessive.

By the way, you mentioned your child will choose a yoghurt over chocolate....

http://whatscookingwithkids.com/2011/04/06/look-theres-yogurt-in-my-sugar/

If a person, whether that be stranger of friend or family, is offering sweets or sugary foods directly to kids, this challenges the parents control. I know control is a strong word, I don't mean strict regimental control, I mean generally speaking dietary discipline such that the kids sugar consumption is not excessive.

By the way, you mentioned your child will choose a yoghurt over chocolate....

http://whatscookingwithkids.com/2011/04/06/look-theres-yogurt-in-my-sugar/

realistically so what if there is sugar in yogurts? fruits have sugar, in fact most foods do, but its still giving her some of her dairy requirement, im not fussed over how much sugar she eats simply because the doctors and health nurses have and continue to tell me she is a heathy weight and a healthy child, and she has no behavioral problems.

its about balance, but when it comes to children the first rule you learn is try as you might you cannot control everything they do/eat.

and considering you'd see children who are only permitted sugar as a treat consuming a months worth of sugar in one sitting behind their parents backs or at parties etc

which is my point above relating to the original post, if you object to a butcher giving your children treats how are you going to manage other birthday parties when you have other parents as you put it "challenging the parents control" ?

(and i know you don't mean control in the strong sense of the word)

realistically so what if there is sugar in yogurts? fruits have sugar,

Big difference between fruit and processed sugar:
    "Complex versus Refined Sugar

All sugars have the property to elevate your blood sugar levels peak and cause weight gain you consume them in amounts that exceed your body's ability to process them. Sugar does not constitute an essential nutrient and most sugar-containing foods do not provide anything more than empty calories. Satisfy your sweet tooth with whole fruits, as much as possible, because in addition to containing fiber, which can help slow down the increase in your blood sugar levels and help you feel fuller, fruits also provide an array of health-protective nutrients. All other sweeteners, whether natural or refined, may contain small traces of minerals, but do not contribute to your nutritional requirements."

But you are competely right, there are some situations that are just beyond your immediate control. I'm not going to stand over a child at a birthday party and tell them that they cant eat a cake when every other child is eating it, far from it.

However, most birthday parties are run by parents who understand the challenges of feeding kids, and in my experience, a lot of birthday parties involve some form of half healthy food like potato wedges or chicken nuggets before the crisps and cake kick in.

Also, you have the opportunity as a parent to feed your kids before a birthday party so that empty stomach is not meeting bags of crisps.

Also, if they are at a birthday party, then that is a treat for all involved - so that is the time for them to pig out. They tend to be once every two months, not once a week. Its the random, everyday stuff that I object to.

Too much Fruit contributes to tooth decay. My daughter wasn't allowed to eat fruit as a snack as instructed by her dentist, and was only allowed it with her main meal.

Potato wedges are glorified chips, and chicken nuggets are coated in breadcrumbs which is made from white bread and contains sugar.

Also if cooked In fat or oil and not baked.

Too much Fruit contributes to tooth decay. My daughter wasn't allowed to eat fruit as a snack as instructed by her dentist, and was only allowed it with her main meal.

husbands best friend is a dentist, he was saying fizzy drinks via a straw was better than fruit eaten with teeth!

in fact as it turns out a lot of 'healthy' stuff is bad for your teeth so you cannot win anyways!

Potato wedges are glorified chips, and chicken nuggets are coated in breadcrumbs which is made from white bread and contains sugar.

Chips are deep fried.

Potato wedges can be cooked in the oven.

Chicken forms 95% of the chicken nugget.

I said half healthy.

• Advertisement

husbands best friend is a dentist, he was saying fizzy drinks via a straw was better than fruit eaten with teeth!

in fact as it turns out a lot of 'healthy' stuff is bad for your teeth so you cannot win anyways!

Its better for your teeth because if you drink it with a straw it doesnt touch your teeth........dont need a dentist to tell you that.

Advertisement