Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please feel free to feed my kids.....as long as it doesnt have sugar in it.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    cynder wrote: »

Potato wedges are glorified chips, and chicken nuggets are coated in breadcrumbs which is made from white bread and contains sugar.

Chips are deep fried.

Potato wedges can be cooked in the oven.

Chicken forms 95% of the chicken nugget.

I said half healthy.

If they are frozen they have been dipped in oil, if made fresh at home they still have an oil coating.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

I guess Im lucky that my daughter automatically looks to me for permission when offered something. And I would have no problem saying no if I wasn't comfortable with her eating whatever was offered cause like it or not saying no and being the bad guy is part of being a parent.

I personally don't mind the odd treat from people being kind, shes a child, its fun to get a little surprise, why ruin that for her. I'm sure the people offering the sweet assume that if the parent has an issue they will deal with it- which tbh is fair enough. Its only the first of many instances where a child will be offered something nice and fun and being the parent you will have to say no.

The only time I ever had an issue with someone giving my child sweets was when we were in a shop queue and my daughter was asking for sweets, I said no, she accepted this and then two seconds later the woman that had been in front of us gave her the sweets she had been asking for!! I was furious! She had heard the conversation, heard me say no, bought the sweets anyway and completely undermined me by giving them to her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

What is it with butchers and lollipops? Our butchers always offer a lollipop too! It doesn't bother me though, I just swipe it off the child and make them say thanks. My children are so used to me doing this they don't complain anymore.

Our old GP used to give sweets/lollies too, and when he moved we had to get a new GP. The first time we went to her she gave my daughter a sticker and my daughter told her very clearly with great disappointment that her old doctor gave sweets.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

branbee wrote: »
    I guess Im lucky that my daughter automatically looks to me for permission when offered something. And I would have no problem saying no if I wasn't comfortable with her eating whatever was offered cause like it or not saying no and being the bad guy is part of being a parent.

I personally don't mind the odd treat from people being kind, shes a child, its fun to get a little surprise, why ruin that for her. I'm sure the people offering the sweet assume that if the parent has an issue they will deal with it- which tbh is fair enough. Its only the first of many instances where a child will be offered something nice and fun and being the parent you will have to say no.

The only time I ever had an issue with someone giving my child sweets was when we were in a shop queue and my daughter was asking for sweets, I said no, she accepted this and then two seconds later the woman that had been in front of us gave her the sweets she had been asking for!! I was furious! She had heard the conversation, heard me say no, bought the sweets anyway and completely undermined me by giving them to her![/QUOTE]

Thats so cheeky, I to would have been so mad, took them of her and put them back no the shelf. What did you say to her?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

My daughter just handed them to me!! The woman was gone by the time I realised what was going on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭notsobusy

Branbee I would have freaked that's terrible. We've just had a baby and at the moment, there will be no sweets, chocolate etc except for special occassions etc etc.

We had friends round the other day and they brought their 3 kids with them aged 10, 5 and 10 months. My other half offered the 5 year old a glass of coke. I was furious. I said just hang on a second and ask his parents first. Luckily the child doesn't like coke and just drank some ribena. But his parents were grateful that we had stopped before the glass of coke was handed over and asked them.

Also another friends was telling me that one of her nephews has diabetes and he's quite overweight for a 6 yr old. She was in the house with her MIL this boys granny and she offered him chocolate and sweets. His reply was Granny you know I 'm not supposed to eat sweet thing anymore because of my diabetes. Her response was Oh sure if you don't tell your mum I won't......I thought that was pretty awful to be honest. Oh and he took them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

notsobusy wrote: »
    Also another friends was telling me that one of her nephews has diabetes and he's quite overweight for a 6 yr old. She was in the house with her MIL this boys granny and she offered him chocolate and sweets. His reply was Granny you know I 'm not supposed to eat sweet thing anymore because of my diabetes. Her response was Oh sure if you don't tell your mum I won't......I thought that was pretty awful to be honest. Oh and he took them.

To be fair, it was up to your friend in this case to make sure that he didn't take them. I mean, she was in charge of the child at the time. Until he's old enough to manage his diabetes himself, he'll need people looking out for him. It's a pity your friend didn't do this.

No sorry I didn't explain myself clearly enough. My friend wasn't in charge, if she had been she would have definitely stepped in. The granny was actually minding him and my friend dropped in with her baby to say hallo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

No sorry I didn't explain myself clearly enough. My friend wasn't in charge, if she had been she would have definitely stepped in. The granny was actually minding him and my friend dropped in with her baby to say hallo.

god, your friend would definitely want to be telling the parents in that case?

I mean, "I won't tell them if you won't"?! This is a child's health in question here! And they're trusting the grandmother to follow doctors instructions, and she's clearly refusing to do so! It's not like the parents are refusing him sweet stuff for the sake of it - he's been diagnosed with diabetes - perhaps the grandmother doesn't realise just how serious this is?

She spoke to his parents about it and they were horrified as they had explained to the granny. But it seems she doesn't want to understand. They spoke to the granny again and she denied it at first then admitted it. They actually told her that they wouldn't let the son go round to her if she didn't stop. Hopefully that works. My friend doesn't want to let her daughter go there unaccompanied as she has a high risk of geting diabetes and is terrified the granny will do it to her daughter!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 chicamom

Totally agree with OP. Sweets and treats are foisted on kids all the time where we are. You look like such an ingrate when you try to refuse or intercept. Sugar (and surely there's no need to define exactly which "sugar " again on this thread!) ...sugar isn't a treat for kids , it's harmful and pointless. I've given up trying to be polite to so-called "well meaning" shopkeepers, teachers, doctors, librarians, chemists, butcher, bakers,not to mention the flippin' candlestick makers pushing their crappy cheap aspartamame/sugary/E nos/glucose syrup filled ****e. It's just setting todays kids up for future health problems - maybe they should think about that before offering the muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

chicamom wrote: »
    sugar isn't a treat for kids , it's harmful and pointless.

So what do you consider to be a treat? A nice organic salad?

Lots of people getting very excited on this topic. All could be solved by learning some assertiveness - with your kids and with these darn sugar peddling morons :rolleyes:

Yes please! A nice organic salad any day with real flavour (and while we're at it not irradiated or sprayed with chemical toxins). Ever had a really fresh strawberry or a locally grown apple? That would be a treat. Unfortunately, in our remote rural area none of the shopkeepers support the same view and are still peddling out-of-date, shrivelled-up, imported unappetising plastic wrapped vegetables but have aisles upon aisles of sugar based so-called treats!It's maybe not a question of being more assertive with our own kids in these situations, but asserting our rights to nutritious unadulterated food.

our rights to nutritious unadulterated food.

Your rights? If you live in a rural area - and you're keen to have organic produce - why not grow your own?

Sure thing! I grow mine, as long as you're happy with Monsanto growing yours!

Sure thing! I grow mine, as long as you're happy with Monsanto growing yours!

Oh please - get off your high horse before you fall off and damage your morals.

Seeing as this is a "parenting" forum- I assumed (possibly erroneously?) I was talking with other adults! I'm not trying to moralize or lecture you, "Plates" (afterall, so many people have food issues these days and I realise I have possibly hit a raw nerve with you, so... apologies.) Meanwhile back to the subject of the stupidity of foisting sugary treats on kids....our school took part in the "Food Dudes" last year , a nationwide initiative to encourage healthy eating amongst primary age kids. It was pathetic in our school, many kids went crying at the prospect of having to put certain vegetables in their mouth ( they weren't even required to chew or swallow it!)! The teacher comforted them with choc-chip cookies afterwards!!! INSANITY or what ? and a total waste of public money! Does anyone else have views on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

It was pathetic in our school, many kids went crying at the prospect of having to put certain vegetables in their mouth ( they weren't even required to chew or swallow it!)! The teacher comforted them with choc-chip cookies afterwards!!! INSANITY or what ? and a total waste of public money! Does anyone else have views on this?

As regards the teacher giving them cookies.....

A point of relevance for this debate also is creche's. In many creches, every time there is a birthday there is a party, and the bag of sweets and crisps and so on that goes with that.

Now, great crack for the kids and so on but
    (i) I've always thought it was just a little bit convenient for the creche to do this.....as no matter what way you cut it, feeding a kid crisps is easier than feeding them broccoli, ergo it makes the creches job easier as regards their obligation to feed the kids.
    (ii) these parties, if its a big creche, are regular.
    (iii) it engenders this association of celebration with gorging early on in a childs life.

Montessori would do same.

The problem faced by parents then is that if you object you are a killjoy, rather than someone who's trying to get their kid to have a proper diet ( for example, see the very first response I faced on this thread with the OP).

She spoke to his parents about it and they were horrified as they had explained to the granny. But it seems she doesn't want to understand. They spoke to the granny again and she denied it at first then admitted it. They actually told her that they wouldn't let the son go round to her if she didn't stop. Hopefully that works. My friend doesn't want to let her daughter go there unaccompanied as she has a high risk of geting diabetes and is terrified the granny will do it to her daughter!!

Are we talking about type 1 or type 2 diabetes?

Type one is genetic and has f all to do with how much sugar you eat. You need to have a viral infection to attack your pancreas and kill your insulin producing cells, but you have to have it in your genes first. All type 1s Are insulin dependent. Even if it is in your genes eating sugar won't trigger it, the trigger is a viral infection.

Type 2 normally happens if the person/ child is overweight/ obese. They are normally not insulin dependent.

There is no link between diabetes type 1 and diabetes type 2, again there is NO link between type 1 and type 2.

The only people at risk from diabetes type 2 are over weight people. The only people at risk of type 1 diabetes are people with the gene / coeliacs/ persons who suffer with an over active or under active thyroid and some patients with cf.

So unless the girl ticks any of the above she isn't high risk. And again type 1 isnt caused by eating sugar.....

Totally agree with OP. Sweets and treats are foisted on kids all the time where we are. You look like such an ingrate when you try to refuse or intercept. Sugar (and surely there's no need to define exactly which "sugar " again on this thread!) ...sugar isn't a treat for kids , it's harmful and pointless. I've given up trying to be polite to so-called "well meaning" shopkeepers, teachers, doctors, librarians, chemists, butcher, bakers,not to mention the flippin' candlestick makers pushing their crappy cheap aspartamame/sugary/E nos/glucose syrup filled ****e. It's just setting todays kids up for future health problems - maybe they should think about that before offering the muck.

Sugar isn't harmfully or pointless when had in moderation, sugar has saved my daughter from going into a coma at least 1500 times in the last 5 years, sugar is also pumped into the body via a glucose drip to keep a persons energy up when they are sick...

Sugar is good too.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Sugar isn't harmfully or pointless when had in moderation, sugar has saved my daughter from going into a coma at least 1500 times in the last 5 years, sugar is also pumped into the body via a glucose drip to keep a persons energy up when they are sick...

Sugar is good too.....

thank you, the anti sugar brigade are annoying me,

its well known in health circles that natural sugar is in fact good for you (again in moderation)

it is the sugar substitutes (splenda...etc) or lack of sugar that causes damage.

Sugar is good too.....

I think the debate is about where people and society as a whole are eating too much sugar. Its not about: is sugar bad in any amount and at all times.

If you had a room full of alcoholics, would there be much point in bringing up the fact that a glass of red wine twice a month is good for the heart.....would that have any relevance for the room full of alcoholics?

And to be honest, I think your point actually clouds the obesity debate, because it allows people like McDonalds and BurgerKing and Walkers Crisps to say that their products can be eaten as part of a healthy diet. Maybe, somehow, mathematically they can be, but only in exceptional and unusual circumstances, and to advertise on that basis is misleading.

I think the debate is about where people and society as a whole are eating too much sugar. Its not about: is sugar bad in any amount and at all times.

If you had a room full of alcoholics, would there be much point in bringing up the fact that a glass of red wine twice a month is good for the heart.....would that have any relevance for the room full of alcoholics?

And to be honest, I think your point actually clouds the obesity debate, because it allows people like McDonalds and BurgerKing and Walkers Crisps to say that their products can be eaten as part of a healthy diet. Maybe, somehow, mathematically they can be, but only in exceptional and unusual circumstances, and to advertise on that basis is misleading.

I was responding to the poster saying sugar was harmful and pointless. Go back and read their post.

I think the medical profession see sugar as a life saver and is very much needed so much so that have bags upon bags of glucose stored in the hospital.

I have 5 glucose injections in my fridge and pray I will never need them by having a supply of sugar in my house.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 690 ✭✭✭puffishoes

But millions of people do eat mc d's burger king et al as part of a healthy diet. what has to be exceptional and unusual about having a well balanced diet exercising and having the odd big mac?

your point just sounds like a load of scare mongering nonsense. people are obese because they constantly eat ****e day in day out sit on their arse all day and don't exercise. not because of ronald mc donald.

puffishoes wrote: »
    But millions of people do eat mc d's burger king et al as part of a healthy diet. what has to be exceptional and unusual about having a well balanced diet exercising and having the odd big mac?

your point just sounds like a load of scare mongering nonsense. people are obese because they constantly eat ****e day in day out sit on their arse all day and don't exercise. not because of ronald mc donald.

I dont think its scaremongering. I think McDonalds is unhealthy food and shouldnt be advertised as being part of a healthy diet. But thats fine, we'll disagree on that point.

I dont think its scaremongering. I think McDonalds is unhealthy food and shouldnt be advertised as being part of a healthy diet. But thats fine, we'll disagree on that point.

It is if you just eat McDonald's but I don't see how as part of a balanced diet how it's unhealthy?

Are you taking meals in isolation or just a blanket everything there is unhealthy?

meat? lettuce? gurkin's? cheese? tomato? the bread? the fries? orange juice/ egg? bacon? fish? the sauce?

If I take in the required amount of fat/protein/cal's in a given week for the amount of exercise etc which includes a meal from mc donalds . can you explain how eating mc d's as part of that has made me unhealthy?

correct me i'm wrong but were mc donalds not forced into advising customer's about a balanced diet? the same way drink companies were advised to tell consumers to drink in moderation?

puffishoes wrote: »
    It is if you just east McDonald's but I don't see how as part of a balanced diet how it's unhealthy?

Are you taking meals in isolation or just a blanket everything there is unhealthy?

meat? lettuce? gurkin's? cheese? tomato? the bread? the fries? orange juice/ egg? bacon? fish? the sauce?

If I take in the required amount of fat/protein/cal's in a given week for the amount of exercise etc which includes a meal from mc donalds . can you explain how eating mc d's as part of that has made me unhealthy?

correct me i'm wrong but were mc donalds not forced into advising customer's about a balanced diet? the same way drink companies were advised to tell consumers to drink in moderation?

McDonalds food is not healthy.

What they mean is......everyone needs a certain amount of fat and salt in their diet.....well guess what....we've got plenty of fat and salt right here folks....and if you eat just they right amount of it......three bites of a burger....then that will satisfy your fat and salt requirements for the day. But just dont eat any fat and any salt for the rest of the day.....

If you are fine with them advertising that as being "part of a healthy diet" then fine......I'm not.......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

It was pathetic in our school, many kids went crying at the prospect of having to put certain vegetables in their mouth ( they weren't even required to chew or swallow it!)! The teacher comforted them with choc-chip cookies afterwards!!! INSANITY or what ? and a total waste of public money! Does anyone else have views on this?

As regards the teacher giving them cookies.....

A point of relevance for this debate also is creche's. In many creches, every time there is a birthday there is a party, and the bag of sweets and crisps and so on that goes with that.

Now, great crack for the kids and so on but
    (i) I've always thought it was just a little bit convenient for the creche to do this.....as no matter what way you cut it, feeding a kid crisps is easier than feeding them broccoli, ergo it makes the creches job easier as regards their obligation to feed the kids.
    (ii) these parties, if its a big creche, are regular.
    (iii) it engenders this association of celebration with gorging early on in a childs life.

Montessori would do same.

The problem faced by parents then is that if you object you are a killjoy, rather than someone who's trying to get their kid to have a proper diet ( for example, see the very first response I faced on this thread with the OP).

You can have treats and a proper diet. Also remember if you deny a child something too much they will overload on it when older. U just need to teach them how to eat

And fruit juices aren't healthy.

McDonalds food is not healthy.

What they mean is......everyone needs a certain amount of fat and salt in their diet.....well guess what....we've got plenty of fat and salt right here folks....and if you eat just they right amount of it......three bites of a burger....then that will satisfy your fat and salt requirements for the day. But just dont eat any fat and any salt for the rest of the day.....

If you are fine with them advertising that as being "part of a healthy diet" then fine......I'm not.......

So I'll try again.

Can you explain how if I take in the recomended dose of everything and exercise which includes a meal from mc d's how that would make me unhealthy?

my understanding of the advertising i'll have to look again but as an adult what I get from it is eat this food in moderation as part of a balanced diet.

it doesn't feel to me eat as much as you want it's healthy.

Maybe mc d's assume a certain amount of common sense. which I'll give you they really shouldn't as it's not very common

• Advertisement

Oh dear! My! My! My! Aren't we all just a little bit cranky? Some of the posters feeling a little irrational and grumpy? Been eating too much sugary junk food the lot of ye! So much McD's and dare I say it, SUGAR you've finally lost any ability you may have had for critical thinking, following the logic of a debate or replying with any coherence! And yet you expect your kids to function normally on this modern diet of crap/treats/rewards containing sugar (or sugar-like substitutes)! Look at what just talking about sugar has done to us lot!

I apologise for the tone of earlier posts if they sounded "preachy". I certainly don't belong to any "anti-sugar brigade", although I certainly would consider joining one if you got to ride into town on horse back and bull-whip sugar-pedalling butchers, bakers, doctors, boards posters and McDonald spokespersons up and down the highstreet!! I bet I could get the kids to join in too.

The OP originally was venting frustration felt by many many parents on the issue of trying to establish, support and maintain healthy eating habits in their kids lives in a society that has lost the run of itself with highly processed factory produced cheap foodstuffs being pedalled to us from all sides with the full co-operation of the media, the advertising industry, the government, the giant food conglomerates, the fast food industry, the supermarkets etc etc etc. The grannies offering lollipops, the teacher giving cookies...ok they mean well, but where's the joined up thinking? They are certainly not helping.

Advertisement