Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smaller iPad

• 07-08-2012 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

After owning the first iPad, I wished it was smaller. I sold it on and passed on the iPad 2, owning in between a Samsung Galaxy 7 inch, and a HP Touchpad. All have been sold on and I'm back now using the new iPad. Fine and grand but still have that feeling that it should be physically smaller. Rumours have been flouted for some time about a smaller iPad, there's been pictures of engineering samples, screen shots, and even an Apple e-mail (very timely) produced to ensure people that Mr. Jobs was favourable towards a smaller device after he publicly said it would not allow a good end user experience. So, now after just a couple of months with the new iPad I'm kinda wishing I held out.

For it to differentiate, it may be memory capped to a smaller size (16Gb) and no retina display (have to have something for generation 2 right?). But now that Google has released their 7 incher, and Amazon prepping up the new Fire, the price point has somewhat been dictated in the marketplace.

Anyone else thinking, dreaming, or hoping for a smaller iPad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Tazium wrote: »
    Anyone else thinking, dreaming, or hoping for a smaller iPad?
    There's a 99% chance there'll be a new smaller iPad announced next month! ;)

http://www.tapscape.com/ipad-mini-features-release-date/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It wouldn't interest me personally, but after owning a Kindle I can understand the appeal of a smaller, lighter iPad. It's looking increasingly like Apple have no choice but to make one if they want to stay ahead of the competition.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Hurray to competition! Creating the smaller iPad that I wanted but no longer need and a bigger iphone that I might very well be interested in :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

Thanks Basq, I'm following the hype and speculating on features. Given the price point of 250 euro the Google tablet at 16Gb. The usual Apple premium will apply on top of that so I'm expecting a 299 euro entry level to the iPad mini.

16:9 would really sweeten the package, but I'm not sure it will happen in the resolution of the device. Had a quick play with the Google tablet yesterday, really it's a nice size and weight and the screen is bright and responsive. I didn't like the web browsing experience on it. Chrome left some black space to the upper right hand section of the screen that was just wasted. I'll hope that the iPad mini offers a better experience.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Chrome left some black space to the upper right hand section of the screen that was just wasted. I'll hope that the iPad mini offers a better experience.

Using chrome on the n7 right now, I'm looking for that idle black space but can't find it? I'm sure an iPad mini will be at least able to offer a comparable experience, but unless they change iOS quite a bit for iPad I'll still find android far more tablet friendly - although I do prefer iOS on my ip4s to android on a similar handset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I had a 7" Galaxy Tab for a few months last Summer. I took it traveling, used it for entertainment, photos, games, the usual.

In the end, I couldn't but help feel it was neither a tablet, nor a phone, more a device that fell between the two stools of form factor. Yes, phone calls were comical on it, and it didn't comfortably fit into a pocket. Taking pictures with it was also a joy (having said that, the quality of photos was excellent). Admittedly, part of the device limitations were down to the ancient Android 2.2 on it.

So I am a bit skeptical when it comes to 7" - 8" size tablets. I don't see why Apple would release one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

Mactard wrote: »
    Using chrome on the n7 right now, I'm looking for that idle black space but can't find it? I'm sure an iPad mini will be at least able to offer a comparable experience, but unless they change iOS quite a bit for iPad I'll still find android far more tablet friendly - although I do prefer iOS on my ip4s to android on a similar handset.

If you open two tabs, then to the right and above the tabs is black wasted real estate, or at least it was on the display model in pc world. A full screen mode would overcome it anyway. But first impressions and all that...

Mactard wrote: »

If you open two tabs, then to the right and above the tabs is black wasted real estate, or at least it was on the display model in pc world. A full screen mode would overcome it anyway. But first impressions and all that...

Thanks for explaining as I always have at least three tabs open its not a potential issue i had noticed. I suppose its good that you're not stuck with the one browser if you want to change that.

Advertisement