Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bales or pit???

• 07-08-2012 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi all.
    Looks like we are going to get a few dry days this week! I have about 15 acres to cut. Which would be a better option, bales or pit? Probably wont be able to save it as much as I would like so would bales be the way to go? Which would do more damage to land? Im hoping to cut tomorrow evening and pick up the following day. Any thoughts?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭grazeaway

well it depends on how wet the land is and how big the machinary will be and how much travliing will be done.

if your going with the pit will it be precision cut and if so how big will the harvester, tractors and trailers be. Can you get them to half fill the trailers to reduce the weight?

if your doing bales how do you plan to bring them in? if your baling and wrapping in the field or in the yard?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

How heavy is the crop?
    If it hasn't been cut already this year I suggest go pit. Row it up into 30ft swards so less of the field will be driven on. There is no point in making poor quality bales if you can get in the pit at around 100-110e an acre.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭hoochis

Got it all baled and wrapped today. Very little damage to the ground. I decided on bales because I will have a surplus and have a sneaking suspicion that they will sell well next year.

Advertisement