Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can All the Festivals be over now please

Options
  • 07-08-2012 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭

Is it just me, or is anybody else now (locals) tired of the festivals in Galway since last May - although they were great, did you think it was a bit of overkill.
    The Volvo, Film Fleadh, Fringe/Arts, Races, - it seems like nearly every weekend there was a "festival" to attend.

Is anybody delighted that things will be going back to normal now this week.

I did thing that the last four nights in Dominick Street was a bit of overkill during Race Week.

Can we have our town back now please - anyone agree?:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,586 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Is it just me, or is anybody else now (locals) tired of the festivals in Galway since last May - although they were great, did you think it was a bit of overkill.
    The Volvo, Film Fleadh, Fringe/Arts, Races, - it seems like nearly every weekend there was a "festival" to attend.

I did thing that the last four nights in Dominick Street was a bit of overkill during Race Week.

One of the main reasons I live in Galway is because of the variety and scope of activities and festivals in the city in the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

ya don't get me wrong, Its great to have it but....... I am glad we will be getting out town back to normal in the next couple of weeks. Too many festival will make things boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,586 ✭✭✭✭kippy

ya don't get me wrong, Its great to have it but....... I am glad we will be getting out town back to normal in the next couple of weeks. Too many festival will make things boring.

Nah, the winter is long enough tbh with the short days. (mind you the winters appear to be getting longer)

I suppose if you live and/or work in the city centre it can be a but full on and I do appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It has been a mental, the last 4-6 weeks in particular, and on some occasions I have tired of it... but overall I've really enjoyed it.

The endlessly dark dreary days of November to February aren't that far away. You might be longing for the summer festivities again!

JoeA3 wrote: »
    It has been a mental, the last 4-6 weeks in particular, and on some occasions I have tired of it... but overall I've really enjoyed it.

The endlessly dark dreary days of November to February aren't that far away. You might be longing for the summer festivities again!

well, you have to say that the Summer nights were better described as dark and dreary in May June July and now August too. Glad Summer is over too, it means we won't be waking up thinking the sun might shine - bring on the dark dreary days, at least we know what to expect. :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

There's a few smaller festivals still to come (thankfully), but they won't be on the scale of the summer ones, so there may be a few seats of an evening in your local! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

After working late nights for all of them I am breathing a sigh of relief today!! Thought it was all excellent though. Good for our little city but yep nice to get back to normal for a few months! And as above poster said almost looking forward to winter so I'm not disappointed by the constant hope of a week or even a day of good summer weather

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ArtyC wrote: »
    After working late nights for all of them I am breathing a sigh of relief today!! Thought it was all excellent though. Good for our little city but yep nice to get back to normal for a few months! And as above poster said almost looking forward to winter so I'm not disappointed by the constant hope of a week or even a day of good summer weather

Fixed that for ya.

By my reckoning, we have no festivals in the city for the month of August. (There's some in the county, though, in case you're pining.)

Our next blast is Arthur's Day (sic) and the Oyster Fest at the end of September.

And yes, I totally agree with the OP, it's time for a rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Galway has two industries - Michael D Higgins and festivals.

Normality is way overrated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Excuses for binge drinking are overrated. If one person continually binge drinks then he is deemed to be an alcoholic. If a large group of people continually binge drink together then they are deemed to be only "having the craic". For some people, these festivals are only a reason to continually get drunk in a group setting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

What a strange thing to moan about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Move home to Sligo.

throw away your crystal ball, it's not working and don't give up the day job. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Yes, I agree totally! Galway really whóres itself out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

scholar007 wrote: »
    Yes, I agree totally! Galway really whóres itself out.

Well, we're not famous for our hookers for nothing...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Festivals bring in tourists to Galway and area. Their spending keeps many businesses going.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They could maybe spread them out more, there's no reason they couldn't have the film festival in the darker months when it's more suitable for indoor stuff.

It wouldn't surprise me if there where more festivals rather than less. Galway is a tourist town that needs to pull in tourists. I'd say the whole county depends on Galways festivals. I suppose what they could do is promote the other smaller festivals around the county and organise day trips to them from the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

In fairness, that's only 1 more added festival, the other ones happen every year and nobody complains. And the Volvo won't be happening every year, if it does even come again that is.
    Dont worry, you'll have your town back soon enough. Looking forward to your "there's feck all to do in Galway" thread come November.:)

GastroBoy wrote: »
    In fairness, that's only 1 more added festival, the other ones happen every year and nobody complains. And the Volvo won't be happening every year, if it does even come again that is.
    Dont worry, you'll have your town back soon enough. Looking forward to your "there's feck all to do in Galway" thread come November.:)

no, won't be saying that as there is plenty to do in Galway when the crowds are gone.

also, people have been wanting their town back every single year after the races. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

no, won't be saying that as there is plenty to do in Galway when the crowds are gone.

also, people have been wanting their town back every single year after the races. :D

Actually, I agree with you on that, the races crowd can be intolerable and a welcome relief when they leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

ScumLord wrote: »
    They could maybe spread them in the darker months when it's more suitable for indoor stuff.

Galway is a tourist town that needs to pull tourists. I'd say the hole county depends on Galways festivals.

:D:D:D

Just about got through the week thank feck there was an excuse to go on the beer this weekend, I cant afford it but I need it :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

How about a festival free festival to celebrate the gap between festivals ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

No, don't agree...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

GastroBoy wrote: »

In fairness, that's only 1 more added festival, the other ones happen every year and nobody complains.

This was also the first year of The Fringe. It is likely to get bigger (maybe shorter though).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Lapin wrote: »
    How about a festival free festival to celebrate the gap between festivals ?

Where we invite celebrities to come over...

Call it Guest-ival

*gets coat*

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

Some people are never happy

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JustMary wrote: »
    By my reckoning, we have no festivals in the city for the month of August. (There's some in the county, though, in case you're pining.)

I was wrong. Our next festival is Heritage Week, 18-26 August, events all over the country, including lots in Galway.

• Advertisement

K.C wrote: »
    Some people are never happy

untrue!
    I'm actually delighted that things are back to normal again and the crowds have gone home, and you can walk up and down the two without having to stand behind "tourists" who seem to forget how to walk, and I'll be even MORE happy when the rug rats are gone back to school. :D

Advertisement