Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Dublin Cancer Bus

Options
  • 07-08-2012 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭

Now, I am from the other end of the country but have to say I really feel for patients in Donegal having to travel so far for their chemo etc.

There was an interesting story on Pat Kenny RTE 1 this morning re the Donegal Dublin Cancer bus. The HSE has apparently withdrawn funding for this service and now patients must go via private buses/CIE.
    It think this is a particularly mean move as in all fairness the journey is 4 hours plus. People can naturally be sick on the long journey and likely need the toilet regularly. It really must be such a blow to anybodies dignity and comfort to be on a bus that cannot stop if patients are sick etc.
    I forget how lucky we are sometimes, as Dublin is just an hour to hour half away on a good motorway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Aye mate, not alone can you make it to Dublin in an hour/hour an a half you can make it to any one of FOUR cancer centres in Dublin in that time; You could also prob reach Waterford, Limerick, Cork & Galway in not much more time than that...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Can they use hospitals in Derry and Belfast, I hope?
    Also, Donegal is not on a rail line either something the HSE and govt need to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

mfitzy wrote: »
    Can they use hospitals in Derry and Belfast, I hope?
    Also, Donegal is not on a rail line either something the HSE and govt need to consider.

I had thought that they could use Belfast, but when you think about it, if they could they would...

I honestly believe that they should be flown to Dublin; Aer Arann used to do flights from Derry to Dublin (subsidised) for €29 or so.. That's rougly €2500 return for a bus/plane load (40 ppl)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

there is a new cancer unit being built in Altnagelvin hospital, Derry, and the plan is to treat Donegal cancer patients there. I dont know how far away from opening they are at the minute. Link here

Advertisement