Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Football - Goalkeepers

• 07-08-2012 12:19pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭

All talk about Goalkeepers to be kept in this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 spurskiely

What's people feeling on Foster for WBA . Cheap option at 5 mil . Any thoughts .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

spurskiely wrote: »
    What's people feeling on Foster for WBA . Cheap option at 5 mil . Any thoughts .

Last season under Hodgson, I'd have agreed. However, this year Steve Clarke is managing West Brom. Perhaps he'll be a great manager but I have my doubts.

Tbh, I'm expecting both WBA and Swansea to struggle under their new managers and I wouldn't be surprised if either and/or both go down.

Was thinking the same thing to be honest . Can't make up my mind who to go with . Still plenty of time left .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

I think I'm going to find it hard to go with two 4.5s. Begovic is the only one I rate highly, and even he might get chucked out again for Sorensson.

I may have to look at a 5m GK to ease my mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

With Clarke in charge West Brom are going to be very solid at the back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

De Gea and Begovic are my two picks, With vidic back the united backline will be much more stable

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

De Gea and Begovic are my two picks, With vidic back the united backline will be much more stable

Until he gets injured again

Melion wrote: »
    With Clarke in charge West Brom are going to be very solid at the back
    Thought the same for a while then I remembered Liverpool last season . Hasn't exactly filled me wit confidence . Might be better to see how they start off .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The big decision here for me is either go with De Gea for £6.0m and hope that Fergie plays him every week if fit, or go for two rotating goalkeepers.

I think it's vital to have some sort of defensive coverage from both Manchester United and City and with it difficult to predict who will start in United's back four, De Gea looks the best option. Even with Lindergaard signing a new deal it's hard to imagine a £20m goalkeeper not being first choice after an impressive second half to the season.

I personally think there's a much better chance of hitting a clean sheet every week leaving De Gea in rather than having to try and guess by rotate between two goalkeepers. Taken from FF Scout:
    By splashing the cash on a top bracket keeper, you’re almost adopting a “fire and forget” approach. Joe Hart could very well be your one stop solution all season and, by pairing him with a benchwarmer such as Radek Cerny or Declan Rudd (both at 4.0), you’ve found yourself a keeper solution for 11.0. Opt for the popular but less secure David De Gea at United and you could even achieve a heavy-hitter setup for just 10.0.

Both City and United should push to and even beyond 16+ clean sheets this term so – how sure can you be of bettering or even matching that with a combination of 9.0 or 10.0 keepers? Will Norwich and West Ham, for example, combine for 16+ clean sheets? It’s certainly debatable and you’d probably have to get your selection spot week on week on to achieve it.

The appeal of De Gea, of course, is that he offers coverage of the United defence for just 6.0. While Anders Lindegaard is a clear threat to his starts, De Gea’s early return from Olympic duty has boosted his stock and confidence in him is now renewed.

While a 4.0 benchwarmer will free up the cash, this is where Adam Federici really comes back into the reckoning. Not only does the Reading stopper offer an immediate double Gameweek, he also combines effectively with Hart, De Gea and Pepe Reina should you want to have the option to rotate your heavy-hitter when faced with stern opposition.

For 10.5, the Federici/De Gea combination looks very strong – particularly when you factor in the initial double Gameweek. The United keeper situation is absolutely key, however. If Lindegaard does materialise as a true contender for league starts, suddenly all bets are off. Our strategy is therefore somewhat in the hands of Sir Alex Ferguson – not for the first time and, doubtless, not for the last.

So what I will do is probably go with De Gea and a £4.5m goalkeeper such as Federici. Federici in for the first gameweek as he has a double and De Gea starting every week after that.

As the above article says the strategy is left somewhat in the hands of Fergie, but I'd be absolutely amazed if De Gea doesn't play around 35 league games if he's fit all season and look, if the worst comes to the worst and for some reason he isn't playing, I have a starting goalkeeper on the bench to come in for a week in which I can re-evaluate things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

I had de gea and jaaskelinen in but think i'll go for Fedirici now instead of jaaskelinen. was tempted by cech at 6.5, especially with the DGW but i already have ashley cole as a chelsea defender. I have Torres too and want to monitor the Hazard situation so don't think I'll block up that 3rd chelsea postion with Cech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

Paully D wrote: »
    The big decision here for me is either go with De Gea for £6.0m and hope that Fergie plays him every week if fit, or go for two rotating goalkeepers.

I think it's vital to have some sort of defensive coverage from both Manchester United and City and with it difficult to predict who will start in United's back four, De Gea looks the best option. Even with Lindergaard signing a new deal it's hard to imagine a £20m goalkeeper not being first choice after an impressive second half to the season.

I personally think there's a much better chance of hitting a clean sheet every week leaving De Gea in rather than having to try and guess by rotate between two goalkeepers. Taken from FF Scout:

So what I will do is probably go with De Gea and a £4.5m goalkeeper such as Federici. Federici in for the first gameweek as he has a double and De Gea starting every week after that.

As the above article says the strategy is left somewhat in the hands of Fergie, but I'd be absolutely amazed if De Gea doesn't play around 35 league games if he's fit all season and look, if the worst comes to the worst and for some reason he isn't playing, I have a starting goalkeeper on the bench to come in for a week in which I can re-evaluate things.

De Gea and Jaaskelainen are looking like a perfect combination tbh looking at their fixtures

I think Robert Green at QPR for 4.5 million is a steal. Despite the mistakes he made in an English jersey, like Paul Robinson he is still a decent 'keeper.

I also think that Hughes will greatly improve the QPR backline. He did it at Fulham and Blackburn and I think QPR will be no different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

De Gea and Begovic are my two picks,

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Federici (double) and Jaas for me.

If Fed has a bad run Green comes in.

All 4.5

Have to disagree with the de Gea & Begovic combo. Both are home on the same weeks, which is pretty much the only mistake you can make with keepers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

carlcon wrote: »
    Have to disagree with the de Gea & Begovic combo. Both are home on the same weeks, which is pretty much the only mistake you can make with keepers.

I dunno, I've been thinking about this last night. Consider the fact that if DeGea is dropped for Lindegard in the EPL, it'll more than likely be for an easy home game. Therefore, would it not be best to have a sub keeper who will also be playing at home that week?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Is nobody rating Krul to have another great season?? At 5.5mil i reckon he has to be good value considering how well he done last season!! I m thinking him and a toss up between Mignolet(5mil)/ Begovic(4.5mil)/ Ruddy(4.5mil)

Everyone keeps suggesting Begovic but for the same price Ruddy out scored him last season?

I dunno, I've been thinking about this last night. Consider the fact that if DeGea is dropped for Lindegard in the EPL, it'll more than likely be for an easy home game. Therefore, would it not be best to have a sub keeper who will also be playing at home that week?
    The "if Lindegaard plays" argument doesn't do it for me, because if my 6m GK isn't playing every single game, I'm binning him.

There may be 3 or 4 games a season when you'd expect United to definitely concede (away to City, Arsenal, etc). They're the only games I'd be playing my 2nd keeper. For that reason, I think it's better to have my cheap GK at home those weeks.

carlcon wrote: »
    The "if Lindegaard plays" argument doesn't do it for me, because if my 6m GK isn't playing every single game, I'm binning him.

There may be 3 or 4 games a season when you'd expect United to definitely concede (away to City, Arsenal, etc). They're the only games I'd be playing my 2nd keeper. For that reason, I think it's better to have my cheap GK at home those weeks.

If that's the case you may bin him now cause he won't play 38 games this season. He got 29 games last year and I expect him to get more this year but Lindegaard will probably still get 4/5. I doubt he'd sign a new 4 year contract unless he's been told he's going to get a few run outs this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Fixtures wise Friedel looks great price at 5.5m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

i reckon Lind will be used for F.A. cup matches and a few games when the fixtures pile up at Christmas time, not much more than that. pretty much decided i'm getting De Gea in. 6m a bargain for that defense and a great shot-stopper too for the odd extra point here and there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Is nobody rating Krul to have another great season?? At 5.5mil i reckon he has to be good value considering how well he done last season!! I m thinking him and a toss up between Mignolet(5mil)/ Begovic(4.5mil)/ Ruddy(4.5mil)

Everyone keeps suggesting Begovic but for the same price Ruddy out scored him last season?

Newcastle in the europa league - look what that did to stoke last year. Plus most expecting them to do worse this season anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Fritzl Funderland

Given and Federici at 4.5 look good. could be a feel good factor at villa with new manager arriving and reading have 2 games in first week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Fixtures wise Friedel looks great price at 5.5m

Not if Hugo Lloris goes to Spurs.

Anyone recommend a 'keeper who rotates well with Robert Green at QPR?

I was planning to go with Begovic but he doesn't seem to rotate well and I'm getting more and more worried about his place. Sorensen played again last night and has now retired from international football to concentrate on club football.

Begovic has made a couple of errors in pre-season and last year, I can't remember who it was against, but he made a couple of shocking errors when Stoke got thumped in one game.

With Huth now out, I could see Pulis going with the experience of Sorensen.

I'm trying to keep the cost down to 4.5 million as I think there's great value in cheaper 'keepers who score well. That leaves me with the likes of Federici and Jaaskelainen to choose from?

Does anyone have a master sheet of fixtures?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Lemlin wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a 'keeper who rotates well with Robert Green at QPR?

I was planning to go with Begovic but he doesn't seem to rotate well and I'm getting more and more worried about his place. Sorensen played again last night and has now retired from international football to concentrate on club football.

Begovic has made a couple of errors in pre-season and last year, I can't remember who it was against, but he made a couple of shocking errors when Stoke got thumped in one game.

With Huth now out, I could see Pulis going with the experience of Sorensen.

I'm trying to keep the cost down to 4.5 million as I think there's great value in cheaper 'keepers who score well. That leaves me with the likes of Federici and Jaaskelainen to choose from?

Does anyone have a master sheet of fixtures?

Not sure how he rotates with QPR but again i ask does nobody rate Ruddy from Norwich? at 4.5mil he seems like good value! I had him last season, and while i didn't use him often as i had Vorm when he did step in occasionally he'd usually get 3 points or so? He also scored higher then Begovic, Jaaskelainen and can see Norwich doing better then Reading this season therefore placing him higher then Federici!

Anyone considering a Begovic-Sorenson combo for 9.0m total? They scored a combined 134 points last year. This year they don't have the Europa League to deal with so should do better in the EPL. Huth missing a few games is slightly putting me off. Someone please talk me out of this stupid move...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

Anyone considering a Begovic-Sorenson combo for 9.0m total? They scored a combined 134 points last year. This year they don't have the Europa League to deal with so should do better in the EPL. Huth missing a few games is slightly putting me off. Someone please talk me out of this stupid move...
    it isn't a great move because you'll only ever have 1 keeper that can play and when they go away to united, city, chelsea, liverpool, arsenal, spurs , everton etc or even at home to those teams you're unlucky to get a clean sheet.

Better off waiting to see which of them start the season and then pair them with a 4.5 goalkeeper that's likely to start every week (if you want the 9.0 mil combo) so that you can rotate when stoke have those tricky games.

some decent shouts for 4.5 mil keepers out there, federici, jaaskelinen, ruddy, green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Look at all teams goals against home v away records over the last 2/3 seasons. Then you'll see why its important to rotate home keepers.

• Advertisement

Not sure how he rotates with QPR but again i ask does nobody rate Ruddy from Norwich? at 4.5mil he seems like good value! I had him last season, and while i didn't use him often as i had Vorm when he did step in occasionally he'd usually get 3 points or so? He also scored higher then Begovic, Jaaskelainen and can see Norwich doing better then Reading this season therefore placing him higher then Federici!

Norwich kept very few clean sheets last year. I don't have the stats but I'd imagine they only kept 2 or 3 all season, if even that.

He only scored higher than Begovic because Begovic and Sorensen were rotated. Pulis likes to give 'keepers a run when he does pick one so you'd probably be best off wait and see who he plays and just run with them.

At the moment, I'm thinking of Green and Federici as I think Green is great value and Federici has the double gameweek first week.

Advertisement