Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Football - Goalkeepers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Lemlin wrote: »
    Norwich kept very few clean sheets last year. I don't have the stats but I'd imagine they only kept 2 or 3 all season, if even that.

He only scored higher than Begovic because Begovic and Sorensen were rotated. Pulis likes to give 'keepers a run when he does pick one so you'd probably be best off wait and see who he plays and just run with them.

At the moment, I'm thinking of Green and Federici as I think Green is great value and Federici has the double gameweek first week.

Federici may have a double gameweek but what are the chances that Reading will keep a clean sheet in either game? I fancy stoke to at least score against them if not win and then they face Chelsea at The Bridge! I would think it would be better to have a keeper that will more then likely keep a clean sheet then one who will concede in 2 games? Then your stuck with a poor keeper too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Federici may have a double gameweek but what are the chances that Reading will keep a clean sheet in either game? I fancy stoke to at least score against them if not win and then they face Chelsea at The Bridge! I would think it would be better to have a keeper that will more then likely keep a clean sheet then one who will concede in 2 games? Then your stuck with a poor keeper too!

That's what I'm thinking too. To be honest, if I knew who Puls would start, I'd have them and Green as my 'keepers in a heartbeat. Perhaps the press might get it out of Tony next Friday.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

DDG and Vorm both work well with their fixtures, but can Swansea do aswell this season??

Mr Moon wrote: »
    DDG and Vorm both work well with their fixtures, but can Swansea do aswell this season??

Mad money to spend on 2 keepers though surely!!!:eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

Mad money to spend on 2 keepers though surely!!!:eek:

2 Solid keepers with great fixtures, for 11.5? That's not bad at all, I normally stay away from a big team keeper but I can't find a Utd defender I want.

• Advertisement

Mr Moon wrote: »
    2 Solid keepers with great fixtures, for 11.5? That's not bad at all, I normally stay away from a big team keeper but I can't find a Utd defender I want.

How Solid are Swansea going to be this year though, i don't see them doing as well this season... i could be proven very wrong though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

If you get DDG how often will you rotate him. 5 games in a season. Combine him with Bego or Fedirici and put the €1m elsewhere imho.

Even DDG and williams at the back saves a crucial €0.5m over the above combo if you want coverage of both teams

How Solid are Swansea going to be this year though, i don't see them doing as well this season... i could be proven very wrong though!

I'm not that sure about Laudrup to be honest. Rodgers had Swansea playing in a system that suited them and I'm not sure any other manager could do the same.

I'd have to agree that 11.5 million is mad money for two 'keepers. I'm planning on spending 9 million on mine. Goalkeeper is the one position where I feel there isn't great value in shelling an extra 1.5 million out on the likes of De Gea.

Last season, for example, Hart was top scorer with 166 points. How much did Vorm and Krul below him cost? They were both less than ten points behind and cost considerably less.

The top teams do tend to concede less but goalkeepers for poorer teams often pick up points from the amount of saves they have to make, whereas Hart and De Gea can often be a spectator for some matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Al-Habsi and Green is what I'm on at the moment. Nice rotation and Wigan were very solid at the back end of last season. Will probably change my mind again though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I'm not that sure about Laudrup to be honest. Rodgers had Swansea playing in a system that suited them and I'm not sure any other manager could do the same.

I'd have to agree that 11.5 million is mad money for two 'keepers. I'm planning on spending 9 million on mine. Goalkeeper is the one position where I feel there isn't great value in shelling an extra 1.5 million out on the likes of De Gea.

Last season, for example, Hart was top scorer with 166 points. How much did Vorm and Krul below him cost? They were both less than ten points behind and cost considerably less.

The top teams do tend to concede less but goalkeepers for poorer teams often pick up points from the amount of saves they have to make, whereas Hart and De Gea can often be a spectator for some matches.

Everything you said makes sense and I can't argue with it.

But two things:

1. last season was last season. Take the season before and Hart got 175 points whereas Friedel only got 111 that season. They were only 13 points apart last season. Each season is different.

Trying to pick this years Krul, Vorm or Friedel is the difficult bit.

2. With so much rotation in teams now (it seems to get worse every year) in terms of defence, midfield an forwards for the big teams I think some people are looking to spend the extra few quid on goalies.

I fully expect to see people get rid of their expensive goalies/defenders once it becomes obvious who is solid and goals go in against their 6m+ defence. The problem is people don't know yet. For example;

Spurs - AVB high line

Newcastle - Europa league, will they do as well this year?

Swansea - Laudrup, no Caulker, Allen or Siggy

Sunderland for me look the best option but their fixtures are only okay.

Man U have a handy enough first 4 matches - so id say people may try capitalise on that till it becomes obvious who is solid defensively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

I think De Gea made about as many saves per game last season as any other keeper bar Hennessey. United let teams have plenty of shots last season.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Everything you said makes sense and I can't argue with it.

But two things:

1. last season was last season. Take the season before and Hart got 175 points whereas Friedel only got 111 that season. They were only 13 points apart last season. Each season is different.

Trying to pick this years Krul, Vorm or Friedel is the difficult bit.

2. With so much rotation in teams now (it seems to get worse every year) in terms of defence, midfield an forwards for the big teams I think some people are looking to spend the extra few quid on goalies.

I fully expect to see people get rid of their expensive goalies/defenders once it becomes obvious who is solid and goals go in against their 6m+ defence. The problem is people don't know yet. For example;

Spurs - AVB high line

Newcastle - Europa league, will they do as well this year?

Swansea - Laudrup, no Caulker, Allen or Siggy

Sunderland for me look the best option but their fixtures are only okay.

Man U have a handy enough first 4 matches - so id say people may try capitalise on that till it becomes obvious who is solid defensively.

Bar Mignolet the 'keepers above are all more than 5.0 million, that's the max I would spend on a goalie. I think I've decided on Jaaskelainen and Green. Their fixtures rotate fairly well for the first few weeks and both managers are fond of building from the back by not giving much away.

When its discovered who the good cheap 'keeper is this year, I'll transfer one of them out for same. I'd expect it to be Jaaskelainen to be honest and I never envisaged myself going with him but I see Green as my main 'keeper and Jusse rotates well.

I think the saving of 1.5 million by going for the two cheapies and not Dea Gea/4.5 keeper is warranted.

As for the stats above re saves, any info to back this up? You may well be right but I'd be interested in seeing same. From my experience, goalkeepers for the lesser teams tend to be under alot more pressure and get more 'save points' than those at the bigger clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I have only seen it elsewhere but apparently Stoke and Hamers rorate really well for the first few weeks.

You imagine that with Pulis and Alerdyce, they'll be as good a bet for clean sheets as anyone outside the top four.

I reckon for a combined 9m in total, it's hard to look beyond that. Obviously a new Vorm or Krul (or maybe even Vorm or Krul themselves) might emerge but you should be OK for a couple of weeks before you jump on that bandwagon.

The only doubts about it for me are...

1: Stoke didn't do as well as expected last season in terms of clean sheets

2: Krul might be worth the 1m extra. TBH though with Everton away, Spurs and Chelsea in the first four matches, I'm prepared to wait.

The only alternative I can see to this is DDG or Hart + cheap keeper but that's an extra 1.5/2m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Going to rotate Green and Mignolet myself, although far from set on that pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Who_8_Paul?

Anybody else think Szczesny and Friedel for 11m - 5.5 each, perfect rotation, is good value for the 4th and 5th most clean sheets last year (provided Spurs don't sign Lloris)? I've been chopping and changing DDG with a cheapie and 2 mid price keepers but none of them fill me with confidence, I think the 4.5 options could leak a lot of goals, with Begovic maybe being the exception, although he's not nailed on for the season so; 11m for Szczesny and Friedel is only 0.5 more than Mignolet and Krul which was the option I was looking at initially

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

does anyone think hart will start the weekend? he's down as an injury doubt, missed the chelsea game and has pulled out of the england squad?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

does anyone think hart will start the weekend? he's down as an injury doubt, missed the chelsea game and has pulled out of the england squad?

Looking doubtful , apparently has a slipped disc. Pantilimon will be in for a few rounds I'd say.

Grid. wrote: »

Looking doubtful , apparently has a slipped disc. Pantilimon will be in for a few rounds I'd say.

Cheers man I might get in paltimon in and change him once hart is fit for ruddy, that way I'm covered city wise if hart makes an appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I think DDG is worth it this year. A lot of people saying 10.5m is too much to be spending on a keeper but you need to consider who your defenders are.

DDG 6.0m + Any starting defender 4.0m = 10.0m

Any starting keeper 4.5m + Ferdinand 6.0m = 10.5m

There are no 4.0 keepers who'll play whereas there are plenty of 4.0m defenders. This sways it towards DDG imo as he's the cheapest way into the Utd clean sheets while still having regular starters in your squad.

Note: If Rafael gets his game regularly at 5.5m it'd be worth taking a 4.5m keeper in DDG's place but until then it's not worth it.

I was going to go with DDG and still might but I think he'll be in rotation a bit with lindergard as the season goes on.

Hart ATM for me because lescott is not a nailed on starter with city playing 3 at the back and 7.5 for kompany is a bit too much IMO so in all harts the safest bet to gain entry into city's defence IMO but him bring a doubt has kind of ruined my plans.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Grid. wrote: »
    Where you hear that ? I've read it's a minor back problem . Slipped disc is hardly minor imo .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

I was going to go with DDG and still might but I think he'll be in rotation a bit with lindergard as the season goes on.

Hart ATM for me because lescott is not a nailed on starter with city playing 3 at the back and 7.5 for kompany is a bit too much IMO so in all harts the safest bet to gain entry into city's defence IMO but him bring a doubt has kind of ruined my plans.

Lescott will be nailed on if City play 3 at the back (assuming no new signings). The 3 will be Zabaleta/Kompany/Lescott. To play 3 at the back, all 3 have to be able to play Centre Back.

Clichy was only there on sunday because Savic is beyond s*ite, and Chelsea were down to 10. Not a hope in hell Mancini plays him there in a league game.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Where you hear that ? I've read it's a minor back problem . Slipped disc is hardly minor imo .

http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=264131&start=20

Have a read through that thread, could be just speculation.

Benimar wrote: »

Lescott will be nailed on if City play 3 at the back (assuming no new signings). The 3 will be Zabaleta/Kompany/Lescott. To play 3 at the back, all 3 have to be able to play Centre Back.

Clichy was only there on sunday because Savic is beyond s*ite, and Chelsea were down to 10. Not a hope in hell Mancini plays him there in a league game.

Why wasn't lescott playing against Chelsea? He didn't even come on off the bench.

If city sign agger which there still capable of especially deadline day where teams will panic buy then I think lescott could be sacrificed if they return to 4 at the back which IMO they will at some point.

Why wasn't lescott playing against Chelsea? He didn't even come on off the bench.

If city sign agger which there still capable of especially deadline day where teams will panic buy then I think lescott could be sacrificed if they return to 4 at the back which IMO they will at some point.

Agger has apparently said he wants to stay at Liverpool.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lescott was dropped to be honest. He almost cost City the league last season with his dreadful error against QPR. They were 1-0 up and cruising until then and I doubt Mancini will forget that easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Lescott was carrying a slight injury, so they left him out. He wasn't even on the bench so it would be hard to come off it! Given he's in the England squad we can take it that its cleared up.

If Agger goes to City (don't think he will), then Lescott would be a doubt. Until then he's nailed on. The alternative is Savic and that just isn't happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Anyone rate Schwarzer at 5m at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭John83

I have DDG and Begovic in at the moment. The chances are DDG will be starting for me every week (my only option of points from Utd's clean sheets) but Begovic doesn't seem to rotate that well with him. Home/Away fixtures are matching up. Any other 4.5 options out there that are recommended? Jaaskelainen maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

John83 wrote: »
    I have DDG and Begovic in at the moment. The chances are DDG will be starting for me every week (my only option of points from Utd's clean sheets) but Begovic doesn't seem to rotate that well with him. Home/Away fixtures are matching up. Any other 4.5 options out there that are recommended? Jaaskelainen maybe?

Newcastle, Southampton, Wba, West Ham & Wigan all rotate well Home/Away with united .

So Jaaskelainen isn't a bad option .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

Ive gone for:

DDG & Cerny

But basically plan on playing DDG every week.

Thought he had an excellent second half of season last year

Advertisement