Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fantasy Football - Defenders

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Liam O wrote: »
    ^^^^^ I'll tell you right now his supposed great vision as you call it is virtually non existent and wont be worth jack. Hasn't looked his best in preseason and will definitely take time to adapt and could get a few niggling injuries early on.

Here on Boards we tend to take players with injury issues and turn them into Mr. Bump. Nobody is guarenteed an injury. RVP was a testament to that last season.
    Vidic's record at United before being injured last season:
    06/07 - 26 PL games
    07/08 - 32 PL games
    08/09 - Played every game.
    09/10 - 24 PL games
    10/11 - 35 PL games

Last season is in everyone's head still, so it's only natural we assume the worst for him. Realistically, he could easily remain fit all season and play 30+ games. Also, in 6 seasons of PL football, he's only been subbed about a dozen times.

And on the other thing, I've seen him produce plenty of passes like that since he joined United. He's not exactly known for his creativity, but tends to have opponents back off him a lot, allowing him to make these passes.

I wasn't entirely serious about him picking up assists. I'd only expect a couple over a season because his passes are more likely to be sent out wide or into the midfield. Saying that, it's that kind of play and those kinds of passes that attract OPTA points and the FPL goons who pick bonus points. "Assisting the assister" will count for something when it comes to BPs. Add that to him winning 95% of balls in the air, and he'll be a BP magnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Liam O wrote: »
    ^^^^^ I'll tell you right now his supposed great vision as you call it is virtually non existent and wont be worth jack. Hasn't looked his best in preseason and will definitely take time to adapt and could get a few niggling injuries early on.
    This is true re. the assists, 4 in 6 seasons at the club. He was ever presen for Utd up until last season before picking up that serious injury. He does score goals 14 league in 6 seasons but is too expensive for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

Was wondering what all your views were on Zabaleta starting for City? I had Lescott in up until recently but Zabaleta is .5 million cheaper which could help me elsewhere in my team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Conbhar wrote: »
    Was wondering what all your views were on Zabaleta starting for City? I had Lescott in up until recently but Zabaleta is .5 million cheaper which could help me elsewhere in my team.

I also had to get Zab for Lescott to keep a bank of 2.0 as i wanted Cole for the DGW..Looks like he will play till Richards is fit at least.I would have preferred Lescott but money don't last forever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

dahat wrote: »
    I also had to get Zab for Lescott to keep a bank of 2.0 as i wanted Cole for the DGW..Looks like he will play till Richards is fit at least.I would have preferred Lescott but money don't last forever!!

Yep thats the same reason im bringing in Zabaleta awell, good to know im not im not the only one wit that problem. Cheers dahat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Conbhar wrote: »
    Yep thats the same reason im bringing in Zabaleta awell, good to know im not im not the only one wit that problem. Cheers dahat!

And Paully D is the one who put forward Zab,saved a few of us plenty money.....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭daheff

what do people think about caulker? is he staying with spurs this season or going out on loan? If hes with spurs will he even feature? if he goes on loan i think i'll deffo have him in my team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭iba

Hi,

Any thoughts on this defense please?

A. Cole + Lescott + Evra + Stan (Wigan) + McCartney (WH).

I will be playing 3 in the back.

Regards

Iba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

iba wrote: »
    Hi,

Regards

Iba

evra is too expensive imo, rafeal will be 1st choice rb sooner than later so id go with him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Hi,

Regards

Iba

Expensive. what does the rest of your team look like.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    evra is too expensive imo, rafeal will be 1st choice rb sooner than later so id go with him

Thanks Redzer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Any takers for a Villa defender?

They have a nice few fixtures to start the season and with Given retired from international football he'll have more time to focus on his club career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭basillarkin

They have a nice few fixtures to start the season and with Given retired from international football he'll have more time to focus on his club career.
    I would go with Clark myself, he is great value at 4.5m and is a threat going forward from set-pieces. I have him, he will def start, especially while Dunne is injured. Dunne has been the subject of transfer rumors during the week. Great value imo.

I would go with Clark myself, he is great value at 4.5m and is a threat going forward from set-pieces. I have him, he will def start, especially while Dunne is injured. Dunne has been the subject of transfer rumors during the week. Great value imo.

I was thinking about Ron Vlaar myself.

Clark is the cheaper option though. It'll probably be a toss up between the two of them. That extra .5 million is very tempting.

I just read a blog there that said that Clark has had a great pre-season and he scored the other day. Think I'm going to go for him. If he can contribute anything in an attacking sense it'd be a great bonus.

No thanks from me - Dunne out and look at Lamberts clean sheet record with Norwich. I know Norwich are considered weaker than AV though.

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »
    No thanks from me - Dunne out and look at Lamberts clean sheet record with Norwich. I know Norwich are considered weaker than AV though.

Yea his record with Norwich is worrying. The players weren't all that great though and contributed to a lot of the problems. I have a soft spot for John Ruddy but he's nowhere in the same class as Shay. Given could be worth a few clean sheets alone.

I'd be hoping that they might get around 10 clean sheets which would be an improvement on last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

I was thinking about Ron Vlaar myself.

Clark is the cheaper option though. It'll probably be a toss up between the two of them. That extra .5 million is very tempting.

Vlaar has a horrendous injury record, a quick look on wiki will show you that, just something to bear in mind.

I haven't finalised my team yet, Zab is my only cert so far, Richards out for the first number of games cements his starting place, good attacking threat too, if rotation becomes an issue down the line i'll act, but for now 6.0 is a steal.

Alot of people going on about Rafael, i'm not convinced, he could be great value, but that's a big could. Smalling aside, United should have all their def's fit soon. For me Jones has as good a steak for that rb slot, and is a much better defender than Rafael imo. I'm also wary that Rafael has regularly managed to pick up niggly little injuries ever since joining United, that is not the kind of player you want in your ff setup imo. Tempting at 5.5, but too much risk attached for me.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Expensive. what does the rest of your team look like.

Hi kenny,

Only defender talk allowed in this thread - full team is in this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80244912#post80244912

Thinking now of switching Evra for Rafael and Lescott for Zabeletta

Would appreciate recoomendations for 2 cheap defenders, who will most probably, just be sitting on the bench as I usually play with just the 3 at the back.

Regards

Iba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Hi kenny,

Only defender talk allowed in this thread - full team is in this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80244912#post80244912

Thinking now of switching Evra for Rafael and Lescott for Zabeletta

Would appreciate recoomendations for 2 cheap defenders, who will most probably, just be sitting on the bench as I usually play with just the 3 at the back.

Regards

Iba

I would suggest Clyne off Southampton for 4.0 million (should be playing in midfield) and Clark from Villa or Cuellar from Sunderland for 4.5.

Lemlin wrote: »
    I would suggest Clyne off Southampton for 4.0 million (should be playing in midfield) and Clark from Villa or Cuellar from Sunderland for 4.5.

Thanks very much Lemlin.

Was thinking of Cuellar but cant c Sunderland doing much away to Arsenal at the weekend.

• Advertisement

Tierney, Demel, Clyne. Pick 2 of 3 imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Have Zab, Cole, Harte as my back 3..with Nelson, Kyle Walker on bench. Any thoughts??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Just a heads up lads although many will have noticed it already I'm sure:

Sunderland and West Ham rotate extremely well and you can get Cuellar and Demel for a combined total of £8.5m. Both play for teams with managers who like to keep things tight and they will keep a lot of clean sheets this season IMO.

They would be great to rotate with two heavy hitters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Paully D wrote: »

Sunderland and West Ham rotate extremely well and you can get Cuellar and Demel for a combined total of £8.5m. Both play for teams with managers who like to keep things tight and they will keep a lot of clean sheets this season IMO.

I think I'll be bringing Cuellar in for Cole after the DGW. I'll already have Coloccini in there, so that's a perfect rotation (all 38 games alternated).

I honestly know nothing of Demal, so won't pass judgement, but I think I'm going to partner Jaas with Begovic, so I'll already have West Ham covered, and don't fancy doubling up on a promoted team.

carlcon wrote: »
    I think I'll be bringing Cuellar in for Cole after the DGW. I'll already have Coloccini in there, so that's a perfect rotation (all 38 games alternated).

I honestly know nothing of Demal, so won't pass judgement, but I think I'm going to partner Jaas with Begovic, so I'll already have West Ham covered, and don't fancy doubling up on a promoted team.

Yeah I've gone with 2 heavy hitters in defence, with Demel and Cuellar rotating and Clyne or Ryan Nelsen as the cheapest option in case of emergency (I haven't decided which one yet but it doesn't really matter as neither would play very often for me).

Manchester United representation through De Gea in goal with Federici there for the DGW. Bit of a fire and forget approach for a few weeks.

I use my wildcard after 3 or 4 weeks anyway so by then we'll know if Rafael is starting games at RB, how solid Spurs are looking and which one of the cheap CB's is the best route into the defence, what way the Liverpool defence is shaping up after their tough run of games is almost over and who the surprise packages are in each position so I'll look into it again then.

Because there's so much uncertainty in so many teams this year I think people are better off picking a team for 3 GW's (with transfers planned) and then reevaluating everything at the international break.

Thanks very much. I'd forgotten all about alternating defenders and focused entirely on alternating keepers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

is Cuellar a regular starter though? also Mccartney could be worth a punt at 4 mill instead of demel...

is Cuellar a regular starter though? also Mccartney could be worth a punt at 4 mill instead of demel...

He will be, aye. O'Neill loves him and he'll first choice. At present we have very little options at the back anyway with Brown and Bardsley injured so there's no need to worry about him not starting IMO.

McCartney was my West Ham option but he has missed the last couple of weeks with a hamstring injury whereas Demel has played every preseason game at RB and is exactly what Allardyce likes in a defender. Big, brave, strong as an ox and very good in the air. When fit I think they'll be the two full backs though so either option is just as good really. I just think Demel has a better chance of starts in the first few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

He will be, aye. O'Neill loves him and he'll first choice. At present we have very little options at the back anyway with Brown and Bardsley injured so there's no need to worry about him not starting IMO.

McCartney was my West Ham option but he has missed the last couple of weeks with a hamstring injury whereas Demel has played every preseason game at RB and is exactly what Allardyce likes in a defender. Big, brave, strong as an ox and very good in the air. When fit I think they'll be the two full backs though so either option is just as good really. I just think Demel has a better chance of starts in the first few weeks.

ye i was going to alternate between villa and west ham instead but i guess it could be smart to mix it up with sunderland at the back.. cheers for the info buddy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Lescott was not on the bench for City against Chelsea on Sunday and came off the bench after 61 mins for England tonight. Just wondering if people think he will start this weekend against Southampton?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Ian Harte. Potential FF gold but just as likely to warm the bench quite superbly for the duration with his fat ass.

Any Reading die-hards have the inside line on whether he'll be first choice over Shorey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Lemlin wrote: »

Thanks very much Lemlin.

Was thinking of Cuellar but cant c Sunderland doing much away to Arsenal at the weekend.

Well I'd be thinking of him more for the season as a whole than the first Gameweek.

I actually haven't paid all that much attention to who my lads were playing when picking. Just picked the best 15 I thought I could get and will work the rest from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

My defence looks like this

Krull
    Agger Coloccini Vidic

I've seen Ferdinand in a lot of teams and can't see why people would put him in instead of paying an extra million for Vidic

GetWithIt wrote: »
    Ian Harte. Potential FF gold but just as likely to warm the bench quite superbly for the duration with his fat ass.

Any Reading die-hards have the inside line on whether he'll be first choice over Shorey?

I have a sneaky feeling they'll rotate every week. If so, bench him every other week, simples! Gonna wait a few games to see how things pan out, but if he's playing (even just every second game), i'm getting him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

manual_man wrote: »
    I have a sneaky feeling they'll rotate every week. If so, bench him every other week, simples! Gonna wait a few games to see how things pan out, but if he's playing (even just every second game), i'm getting him!

FFS have him down as one of Readings two penalty & free kick takers. At 4.5m with a double GW to start he could be a decent gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Will Clichy be City's first choice left back?

roryc wrote: »

FFS have him down as one of Readings two penalty & free kick takers. At 4.5m with a double GW to start he could be a decent gamble.

i'm positive he'll only start one of those games, given his age..., could still bring in some points, but i've gone with Pearce, who i'm pretty confident will start both games, and is the same price

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    Will Clichy be City's first choice left back?

some weeks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

some weeks :pac:

Thats what I was think, Kolarov might get in the way. Might go for a Skrtel instead.
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Being reported Richards out now for up to 10 weeks - i was going to go with the safety of Lescott so as not to waste another transfer in 3/4 weeks, but the extra €0.5m freed up now will be useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

sky sources say that QPR are set to sign bosingwa. I wonder what price he'll go in at? prob 5.0.
    Anyone got Ryan Nelson at 4.5 though?

If there back line was Green in goal. Fabio LB Bosingwa RB and Anton Ferdinand & Nelson CB he might be worth a shot at 4.5?

Hogey007 wrote: »
    sky sources say that QPR are set to sign bosingwa. I wonder what price he'll go in at? prob 5.0.
    Anyone got Ryan Nelson at 4.5 though?

If there back line was Green in goal. Fabio LB Bosingwa RB and Anton Ferdinand & Nelson CB he might be worth a shot at 4.5?

Two attacking full backs would worry me about them actually keeping clean sheets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭AdpRo

After alot of chopping and changing I think I've settled on my team now! I am almost always going to play 3 at that back. My thinking is that Lescott is going to play every week for me (so long as he starts for City!) and A Cole is in for a couple of weeks anyway. Then I have Vlaar and Cellular to rotate depending who has the best fixtures adn finally I have Clyde as my cheap defender who will hardly ever play so line up looks like

Lescott / A Cole / Vlaar / Cellular / Clyde

Others that came into the reckoning were Hangerland / Rafael / Dawson / QPR defender. Depending on how teams start I might downgrade Cole to one of the others after a couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Is anyone concerned that valencia will take rafaels place at right full back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Is anyone concerned that valencia will take rafaels place at right full back
    no
    Fowler87 wrote: »
    Jones, Smalling and Rafael (olympics) are missing so he'll start rb

Rafael will most likely start at rb .

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2012/Aug/Boss-confirms-Fletcher-return-to-training.aspx
    Amongst the hubbub of [URL="[URL]http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2012/Aug/~/link.aspx?_id=31917F0D0B06454D826DF4EC521A0298&_z=z"]Robin[/URL] van Persie’s unveiling as a Manchester United player[/URL], Sir Alex looked ahead to Monday night’s Barclays Premier League opener against Everton at Goodison Park, giving a fitness update and all-but confirming how his defence will line up.
    “Phil Jones, Chris Smalling and Jonny Evans are all still out,” Sir Alex revealed. “Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand played on Monday, Rafael is back from the Brazil team and Patrice Evra played for France in midweek and is available. That will more or less be the way we will be going.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Benimar

Would appreciate advice on the following:

For the first 3 weeks only...which who you choose? I'm leaning towards one of them but I'd be interested to hear opinions.

Option A: Cole (DGW), Hangeland, Williams, Coloccini, Cuellar

Option B: Zabaleta, Rafael, Gunter (DGW), Coloccini, Cuellar (+1m to upgrade Dyer to Michu/McClean)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Collocini rated as only a 75% chance of playing on FFS:

'Knock Sustained in the 4-1 defeat to Cardiff on 11/8. Rated doubtful by club website for 18/8 game with Spurs.'

Anyone heard anything further on this?

Collocini rated as only a 75% chance of playing on FFS:

'Knock Sustained in the 4-1 defeat to Cardiff on 11/8. Rated doubtful by club website for 18/8 game with Spurs.'

Anyone heard anything further on this?

This is from the Physioroom's Twitter account:
    PhysioRoom.com Ltd ‏@physioroom
    #Cisse has returned to training #Coloccini should be fine after being an unused sub for #ARG midweek #BenArfa is struggling #Newcastle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

Anyone have a decent idea of Reading and Southampton's starting back 4?

• Advertisement
Advertisement