Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fantasy Football - Defenders

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

roryc wrote: »
    Thoughts on Rafael? Want to get him in as I think he'll bang in a couple of goals but worried about rotation.

Rotation might be a worry. I think he's safe for now, but i'm thinking ahead to Sagna, swapping the two when he's back to fitness...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Poor Taylor from Swansea will be out for a long time, the guy who came on for him today, Davies, is only 4m - a cheap route into a fairly steady Swansea defence?

Looking at bringing him in too, Swansea have a few ok games coming up. But now that I have Vorm, him & Michu they will prob fall apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Steel Dog

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2200063/Phil-Jones-suffers-injury.html#ixzz25pamyqOg

Good news for Rafael owners but bad news for Manchester United supporters as their defensive injury problems continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Steel Dog wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2200063/Phil-Jones-suffers-injury.html#ixzz25pamyqOg

Good news for Rafael owners but bad news for Manchester United supporters as their defensive injury problems continue.

Its been confirmed he will be out for 6-8 weeks after surgery .

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2012/Sep/phil-jones-to-miss-six-to-eight-weeks-after-knee-surgery.aspx
    Jones set for lengthy rehab

Phil Jones is set for a sustained spell on the sidelines after undergoing surgery on a knee injury sustained in training.

A club spokesperson told ManUtd.com: "Phil Jones has had surgery on a knee meniscus tear sustained in training that will require six to eight weeks of rehabilitation."

The 20-year-old has yet to make an appearance this season after suffering a back injury during the Reds' pre-season tour.

Fellow defender Chris Smalling remains sidelined after breaking a metatarsal, but Jonny Evans and Rio Ferdinand have recently bolstered the Reds' defensive ranks after returning from their own injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Whats the feelings on Zabaleta starting this week with the arrival of Maicon? Was planning on Transferring Zab out this week but if he'll more then likely play id prefer to hold off for a week and use my free transfer to bring Cazorla in for Kagawa instead...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i don't know about Zab now.

but then again, it's hard to know about any of the City team.

the only absolute certainties are Kompany and Touré, and currently Tevez until Aguero is back.

the worst team by far to predict.

i'm leaving City defenders well alone for a couple of weeks at least.

RE: Jenkinson, keep him for the next 2 weeks if you have a contingency plan for getting rid. if you don't have him, it won't be worth bringing him in now really; find a longer term fix for your defence would be my suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

I'm hoping for Zab to go off after 60 or 65 minutes or whatever it is while City haven't conceded yet. That would be the ideal scenario for an indication that it's time to dump him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Swansea have signed their free agent Taylor replacement until the end of the year. It would be nice if he was added in at 4.5 and made the left back roll his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭richieffff

Have Jenkinson, Gallas, Rangel, Cuellar and Wilson in my defence. Would the best three to play be Jenkinson(Home to Southhampton), Gallas(Away to Reading) and Rangel(Away to Villa), or Cuellar(Home to Liverpool) instead of one of those?
    The totenham defence is doing great and Liverpool don't really look like scoring so I'm stuck between the two. Any opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think 'great' is being a bit generous given that Spurs haven't yet kept a clean sheet. I have Cuellar myself and will be playing him versus Liverpool, I think that will be a tight game. Wouldn't be surprised at a 0-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭slingerz

who are peoples top choices for cheap defenders? I think Clyne of Southampton is good at 4 along with McCartney of West Ham, dont see a lot of value in the defense this season

slingerz wrote: »
    who are peoples top choices for cheap defenders? I think Clyne of Southampton is good at 4 along with McCartney of West Ham, dont see a lot of value in the defense this season

I have both in my team at the moment, also think Rangel, Demel, McAuley, Cuellar all seem like good options for their price too! None of my big team defenders have scored well so far so think i'm going to move to getting a couple of other cheaper options in instead and strengthen in other areas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭basillarkin

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Swansea have signed their free agent Taylor replacement until the end of the year. It would be nice if he was added in at 4.5 and made the left back roll his own.
    Have you a link for this?

Have you a link for this?
    Swanseas Twitter Account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

• Advertisement

I wonder will he start?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I think 'great' is being a bit generous given that Spurs haven't yet kept a clean sheet. I have Cuellar myself and will be playing him versus Liverpool, I think that will be a tight game. Wouldn't be surprised at a 0-0.

yeah Liverpool have proven that they are a dire team ff-wise. No/low number of goals, few clean sheets, midfielders who do not contribute.

That's why I have Cuellar in my team. Looking for a 1-0 to Sunderland here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I wonder will he start?

Absolutely certain he will. He's miles ahead of what they have. I'm interested to see his price. I'd be interested in him at 4.5m, but not more.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Absolutely certain he will. He's miles ahead of what they have. I'm interested to see his price. I'd be interested in him at 4.5m, but not more.
    He probably has had zero pre season training though so it could be a while before he features.

Yeah, I think 4.5 would be a fair and tempting price for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I wonder will he start?

Let's not forget the guy has gone 3 months without a club, without anyone else wanting him, and now he's only being taken short-term by a desperate club.

Looks like a sucky move all round. Means we won't get the 4m Swans defender we all hoped for in Davies.

I haven't completely written this guy off, but I won't get carried away just yet if he costs more than 4m.

• Advertisement

Is Mertesacker a guaranteed starter long term for Arsenal? With all the hype around Jenkinson because of his cheap price i reckon he has been overlooked and wouldn't mind getting him instead! At 5mil before his price rises tonight he's still great value!

Koscielnly should win his place back in the mid-long term. Same situation as Jenkinson really, the only way he'll keep his place is if Wenger decides to stick with a back 4 that has yet to concede.

Sagna around 2 weeks from return according to this on Arsenal website

www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/team-news-diaby-szczesny-walcott-and-more

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Hairy Nipples 87

Any news on George McCartney being fit for West Ham game against Norwich?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Davies to start for swansea, New signing will be back up for forseeable according to Laudraup. Bargain at 4m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Baines or Ivanovic?

I already have Ivanovic from day 1 but think Baines is more secure and offers more attacking threat?

POKERKING wrote: »
    Davies to start for swansea, New signing will be back up for forseeable according to Laudraup. Bargain at 4m
    Link Please

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

POKERKING wrote: »
    Steel Dog wrote: »
    Link Please

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Swansea-City-boss-Michael-Laudrup-puts-faith-Ben/story-16901823-detail/story.html

Looks like he'll start against Vlla, but how long before the new guy comes in?

No doubt a bargain, but the guy is only 19, has only played 2 games for Swansea and judgng from that interview Laudrup probably sees the Dutch lad as the eventual starter, or a rotation system at best.

He's a bargain but he may be dead wood in 2-3 weeks so a bit of a risk. I really hate risking on players that may not start every match in the longterm. It's just likely to cause so many headaches down the line. That's why I've avoided Mertesacker, Jenkinson, Bertrand, who would obviously be absolute bargains if we knew they had their places nailed down.

EDIT: The next 3 fixtures look difficult for Swansea in terms of keeping a clean sheet. On gameweek 7 they've got 2 nice fixtures and we might know who the starting left-back is. Could be worth waiting til then

Is Jones a cheap way into a West Brom defence that are decent at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

yeah what's the deal with jones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

darego wrote: »
    yeah what's the deal with jones?

Gave away a peno yesterday so I wouldn't think he'll last long.

Mark Hughes has said ''Fabio has pulled a hamstring and will be out for a number of weeks''

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/qpr/news/hamstring-injury-rules-out-fabio_45667.html

Any word on Cuellar?

Dónal wrote: »
    Any word on Cuellar?
    I was looking but cant find anything on his injury. Sunderland or Martin O'Neill might say something later today or tomorrow on it. PaullyD mite have heard something from Sunderland forums, as far as i know he is a Sunderland fan.

Richard Dunne is going to be missing for longer than expected. Clark looks an even bigger bargain now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Lemlin wrote: »
    Richard Dunne is going to be missing for longer than expected. Clark looks an even bigger bargain now.

At 4.4 he looks real value now,have gotten him in this week for Zab,saved a few quid too.

Did anyone see Buttner play at the weekend? Wondering if there's a realistic chance he might cement the lb role at United

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Munster Magic

Will McCarrtney or O Brien start for West Ham?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

manual_man wrote: »
    Did anyone see Buttner play at the weekend? Wondering if there's a realistic chance he might cement the lb role at United
    I'm pretty sure i read it was quite a mixed debut. Apparently gave the ball away quite a lot but obviously made up with the goal and assist.

Found the link:

http://www.football365.com/news/21554/8084818/F365-s-Premier-League-Winners-Losers

• Advertisement

manual_man wrote: »
    He had a great debut with a goal and assist and also got Man of the Match.

Cant see him keeping Evra out of the team just yet. I think Evra will more than likely start tomorrow nite against Galatasaray if he has shaken off the injury that kept him out on Saturday and will definetly start on Sunday against Liverpool.

Next time we will probably see Buttner will be next Wednesday against Newcastle in the Capital One Cup.

Fergie will propably have other ideas as always.

Fergie commented that Buttner was rash at times after the game. I'd imagine he'll be eased in before he cements any position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭cullenswood

is jenkinson a good long term buy. He is nice and cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

is jenkinson a good long term buy. He is nice and cheap

No Sagna will be back soon . If you don't have him now I certainly wouldn't bring him in .

Got a nice assist last night though .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,838 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Clyne or Bertrand as a possible bench warmer?
    Clyne is looking like a waste of 4.0,another .6 and i can get Bertrand who looks like he will get some kind of gametime especially with the CL up and running...

dahat wrote: »
    Clyne is looking like a waste of 4.0,another .6 and i can get Bertrand who looks like he will get some kind of gametime especially with the CL up and running...

For his price you really can't go wrong with Bertrand! He will definitely see game time! He's been seriously in favour with Di Matteo since the CL final and plays as a midfielder when he starts! Cant go wrong if you have the money in bank IMO. Hes only missed one game so far this season and it the only match they didn't keep a CS in too!

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »

I'd advise anyone to rid their team of any Southampton or Reading players. Both look set to go straight back down.

I turned off the Reading Spurs game at the weekend. It was woeful to watch at times. Reading struggled to keep the ball for even a few passes on occasion.

Southampton had a horrible run of opening fixtures so the likes of Clyne will become more desirable in a couple of weeks time.

Reading are a mixed bag. No harm giving one of their players (Gorks/Guthrie/Pog) the 3rd spot on your bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Reading have a double GW coming up also. I have Pog at the moment but will likely swap him out soon.

If their DGW was coming up soon I'd probably hold on to him but it hasn't even been scheduled yet.

Southampton had a horrible run of opening fixtures so the likes of Clyne will become more desirable in a couple of weeks time.

Reading are a mixed bag. No harm giving one of their players (Gorks/Guthrie/Pog) the 3rd spot on your bench.

I'm not sure about Clyne to be honest. Southampton also lost 2 nil at home to Wigan which was a poor result. They were terrible at the back in the games I've seen.

If you're stuck for a cheap player there are better alternatives available IMO. Norwich, West Ham and Swansea all have defenders that play around 4 million and Sterling or Kakalinic would be better value than Guthrie.

Lemlin wrote: »
    I'm not sure about Clyne to be honest. Southampton also lost 2 nil at home to Wigan which was a poor result. They were terrible at the back in the games I've seen.

If you're stuck for a cheap player there are better alternatives available IMO. Norwich, West Ham and Swansea all have defenders that play around 4 million and Sterling or Kakalinic would be better value than Guthrie.
    True, I actually took the gamble on Davies ahead of both Gorks and Clyne last week.

I did however go with Guthrie as I think he's a nailed on starter. I still have my reservations about Sterling and Kakalinic and whether they're guaranteed a game each week.

Think I'll give both another week or two to prove themselves before I make that switch. Nothing worse than relying on your last sub only for him to not feature either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement