Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fantasy Football - Defenders

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

roryc wrote: »
    Reading have a double GW coming up also. I have Pog at the moment but will likely swap him out soon.

If their DGW was coming up soon I'd probably hold on to him but it hasn't even been scheduled yet.

that extra fixture is away to Sunderland, i'm not sure i'd fancy them to score offensively or defensively in that anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

cant believe simpson went down now i cant change him for another 5m defender fk sake

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Steel Dog

I know it has been posted in another thread but i said i would stick it in here too with a link.

Martin O'Neill on Carlos Cuellar: ''Carlos has a hamstring problem and i think he would be very doubtful for not only this game but perhaps the next couple of matches''

http://www.safc.com/news/team-news/2012/september/cuellar-expected-to-miss-hammers-trip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

If Ryan Nelsen manages to keep his place at QPR, he's a snip at 3.9 million. They started poorly but I still think Hughes will get them playing efficiently at the back eventually.

They already managed to hold Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Lemlin wrote: »
    If Ryan Nelsen manages to keep his place at QPR, he's a snip at 3.9 million. They started poorly but I still think Hughes will get them playing efficiently at the back eventually.

Bought him during the week there instead of Fabio, like you say he's excellent value...

Been looking at Nastasic for City...........he started against Madrid midweek displacing Lescott as Kompanys central defensive partner, anyone think he could nail that spot as his own.......at 5.5m would be excellent City defensive cover !?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭richieffff

With Cuellar out for the game week (possibly) I'm stuck with choosing between Jenkinson (MCI) or Wilson (CHE).

Who'd be the better option? I'd be preferable to Wilson due to how Stoke play and I can't really see Arsenal keeping a clean sheet.

Delboy5 wrote: »

Bought him during the week there instead of Fabio, like you say he's excellent value...

Been looking at Nastasic for City...........he started against Madrid midweek displacing Lescott as Kompanys central defensive partner, anyone think he could nail that spot as his own.......at 5.5m would be excellent City defensive cover !?

Too much rotation at City. They still have Lescott and Toure, and Richards can play centre half too if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

This post made up my mind,Cuellar out,Nelsen in & money in the bank.With no team guaranteed to keep clean sheets,cheap & cheerful for defenders is the way to go.

zerks wrote: »

This post made up my mind,Cuellar out,Nelsen in & money in the bank.With no team guaranteed to keep clean sheets,cheap & cheerful for defenders is the way to go.

I'm holding out myself another week to see if he keeps his place. QPR have signed a lot of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Have read posts on other forums from QPR fans that said Nelson won't keep his place. Mbia to come in for him from next week apparently. How true that is I don't know though. Cheap defenders like that are difficult to move if you used all the money saved elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'm sure there's loads of us with the Cuellar dilemma now, who are people bringing in? I have nothing in the bank so I have 4.5 even to spend.

WBA look a good bet at home to Reading, but most of their defenders are out of my price range. The only one I can afford who may start is Billy Jones, he's been covering RB since Steven Reid was injured against Everton. The site has Reid down as 50-50 to return this weekend, so it's a risk. Sky Sports say that Clarke is "hopeful" he'll return.

I'm thinking either Perch (Norwich at home) or Clark (Southampton away). I fancy a Newcastle clean sheet more than a Villa one, but I'm not 100% sure about Perch starting. He has started their last two though (Everton and midweek EL game).

Cuellar -> Hughes is what I'm thinking. I'll wait a week to see how close Cuellar is to a return/whether I'm stuck.

I'm sure there's loads of us with the Cuellar dilemma now, who are people bringing in? I have nothing in the bank so I have 4.5 even to spend.

WBA look a good bet at home to Reading, but most of their defenders are out of my price range. The only one I can afford who may start is Billy Jones, he's been covering RB since Steven Reid was injured against Everton. The site has Reid down as 50-50 to return this weekend, so it's a risk. Sky Sports say that Clarke is "hopeful" he'll return.

I'm thinking either Perch (Norwich at home) or Clark (Southampton away). I fancy a Newcastle clean sheet more than a Villa one, but I'm not 100% sure about Perch starting. He has started their last two though (Everton and midweek EL game).

The one argument for Clark is that he's a goal threat. I have Steven Taylor but I plan to drop him in the next fortnight. Newcastle have been poor at the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Barnett at norwich could be a good option, whats thestory with mccartney at westham

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

I'll probably keep Cuellar. He'll only miss a couple of games. The Wigan game being the only one I'd actually have played him in. More important transfers in mind.

I'll probably keep Cuellar. He'll only miss a couple of games. The Wigan game being the only one I'd actually have played him in. More important transfers in mind.

That's my plan to. He's a goal threat and will walk back into the team so I'll just leave him there. My four other defenders are all regular starters anyway so I shouldn't be caught out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Who would you start Rafael or Demel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

3 from: Demel h to Sund, Gallas h to QPR, Clark a to South, Jagielka a Swansea, Williams h Everton

Which 3 ye reckon to start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Paddy Power clean sheet odds say:

Gallas 6/5
    Demel 7/4
    Jagielka 2/1

Williams 5/2
    Clarke 11/4

I'd probably play Clakre ahead of both Jags and Williams though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Paddy Power clean sheet odds say:

Gallas 6/5
    Demel 7/4
    Jagielka 2/1

Williams 5/2
    Clarke 11/4

I'd probably play Clakre ahead of both Jags and Williams though.

Sound, thanks but yeah I have Clark with Demel & Gallas for now. Despite PP i'll stick with my own pick.

I'm surprised Ashley Williams isn't 100-1 for a clean sheet with the fook ups he's made in his last two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

dahat wrote: »
    Clyne or Bertrand as a possible bench warmer?
    Clyne is looking like a waste of 4.0,another .6 and i can get Bertrand who looks like he will get some kind of gametime especially with the CL up and running...

Clyne looked ok today - took his goal well. I felt he was unlucky against City too. I agree with SMB, Southampton had a rough start but they have some guts about them and might start defending better once they aclimatise to the EPL. Besides, he does get forward a lot for a 4.0m benchwarmer who starts every game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

anyone know what the craic is with McCartney at WH? he is back but will o'brien keep his place?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Have to ship Vertonghen out quick!!! 6.4mil wasted right there! Who to replace with though??

Currently have:

---Clyne---Vertonghen---McCartney---McAuley----S Taylor

Thinking of Gibbs but Arsenal play Chelsea next and was looking for someone who has a good chance of a CS next weekend! Cant see many decent options really?

Have to ship Vertonghen out quick!!! 6.4mil wasted right there! Who to replace with though??

Currently have:

Thinking of Gibbs but Arsenal play Chelsea next and was looking for someone who has a good chance of a CS next weekend! Cant see many decent options really?

Glen Johnson could be actually a good punt. He's been by far Liverpool's best def going forward, and Liverpool have a very nice run coming up. It would be a punt (considering Liverpool's results so far), but i can see their results improving considerably, and it could pay off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

manual_man wrote: »
    Glen Johnson could be actually a good punt. He's been by far Liverpool's best def going forward, and Liverpool have a very nice run coming up. It would be a punt (considering Liverpool's results so far), but i can see their results improving considerably, and it could pay off

Good shout. He's a guaranteed starter (on either the left or right) now too since Kelly is out. Only cause for concern is if Carragher is back in to replace Agger. They'll be even leakier at the back.

Good shout. He's a guaranteed starter (on either the left or right) now too since Kelly is out. Only cause for concern is if Carragher is back in to replace Agger. They'll be even leakier at the back.

Coates should replace Agger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Shane732

I haven't posted in these threads to date as I think they are utterly pointless. However seeing as we're not able to open individual thread this thread is the most appropriate to my question.

I'm wondering why Distin hasn't been a regular started for Everton and what the likely back 4 will be this weekend? Basically I think I need Everton defensive coverage for the next few games but am reluctant to fork out on Jag or Baines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,440 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

was looking for a solid choice as a backup defender for under 5 million

I was thinking of bringing in Ryan Bertrand, but how often is he likely to play in the chelsea team. he's only played 2 and a half of the games so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I was thinking of bringing in Ryan Bertrand, but how often is he likely to play in the chelsea team. he's only played 2 and a half of the games so far.

hughes (fulham) 4.5

• Advertisement

hughes (fulham) 4.5

thank you for the suggestion :)

Thanks for the suggestion but there's not a hope (and i say this as a Liverpool fan) that i would consider Liverpool cover in defense, were awful and with Agger out now I can see us being even shakyer at the back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

there's a few decent choices, who have you got so far in your defence?

Hughes as suggested or demel of west ham 4.2 spring to mind straight away.

Hogey007 wrote: »
    there's a few decent choices, who have you got so far in your defence?

Hughes as suggested or demel of west ham 4.2 spring to mind straight away.

My Defence is a shambles and I was going to play my wild card - check out the transfers thread for gameweek 6 to a link to a team I was looking at. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80933190&postcount=67

was going to downgrade one of my chelsea players to get in someone like Hughes so i could strengthen other areas

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Aggers

Do you think Rafael is a must or is going to be a must soon? My defence is Baines, Demel, Hughes, Clyne and McAuley.

Don't have much spare cash so if i bring him in it will be mcAuley that makes way.

Currently have:

Right the only option i think id be happy with this week is Jagielka, obviously the form favourite is Baines but i cant afford him right now so in the mean time Jags should do the job, if even just for this week against Southampton? Or would Rafael be a better option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

My defence is not in the best shape so time to take a 4 point hit to get Baines in for either

1. McCartney
    2. Harte
    3. Clyne

Im leaning towards McCartney at the moment as I have Jaaskelainen in goals. Or should I go with Harte-he hasn't been up to much so far. I will probably end up keeping Clyne for the time being purely based on his recent goal and decent upcoming fixtures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

thunderdog wrote: »
    My defence is not in the best shape so time to take a 4 point hit to get Baines in for either

1. McCauley
    2. Harte
    3. Clyne

Im leaning towards McCauley at the moment as I have Jaaskelainen in goals. Or should I go with Harte-he hasn't been up to much so far. I will probably end up keeping Clyne for the time being purely based on his recent goal and decent upcoming fixtures

From those 3 I reckon McAuley is the one who you should definitely leave IN your squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

1. McCauley
    2. Harte
    3. Clyne

Im leaning towards McCauley at the moment as I have Jaaskelainen in goals. Or should I go with Harte-he hasn't been up to much so far. I will probably end up keeping Clyne for the time being purely based on his recent goal and decent upcoming fixtures

Keep McAuley anyway. I don't see why having Jaaskelainen in goals is a factor?

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Keep McAuley anyway. I don't see why having Jaaskelainen in goals is a factor?

Sorry my mistake I meant to say McCartney not McCauley!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Sorry my mistake I meant to say McCartney not McCauley!

That being the case, I'd probably lean towards McCartney as well. No point doubling up on defenders for a bottom half team.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭j timber

my defence is as follows
    baines. clyne. demel rangel gallas

i already used my transfer to get ba in for berba.
    should i just wait until nxt wk or take a point hit???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭tom_k

Hey all,
    All transfers used and will be using a three man defence this weekend.

Options are Rafael, Ashley Cole, Jenkinson, Demel and Clyne.

At the moment I'm thinking of using Rafael, Cole and Jenkinson but would like opinions especially with regard to using Demel as the others are up against sturdier opposition in my opinion.

All input appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

tom_k wrote: »
    Hey all,
    All transfers used and will be using a three man defence this weekend.

Options are Rafael, Ashley Cole, Jenkinson, Demel and Clyne.

At the moment I'm thinking of using Rafael, Cole and Jenkinson but would like opinions especially with regard to using Demel as the others are up against sturdier opposition in my opinion.

All input appreciated.

There won't be too many clean sheets this weekend imo. Rafael has the most chance of a clean sheet imo so he should definitely start. After that, I'd probably play Cole and Jenk and just hope that either one keeps a cleanie. Cole has 4 clean sheets, a goal, an assist and 5 bonus points in 5 games. Jenk has 3 clean sheets and 4 bonus points in 5 games. Similar to Demel but Jenk is at home and Chelsea have struggled for goals in the last two league games. Clyne would only be playing for attacking points but I can see them conceding a few and him possibly ending up on 0 points.

Fair play to you if you're still reading after all that waffle but my choices would be Rafael, Cole and Jenk :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭tom_k

There won't be too many clean sheets this weekend imo. Rafael has the most chance of a clean sheet imo so he should definitely start. After that, I'd probably play Cole and Jenk and just hope that either one keeps a cleanie. Cole has 4 clean sheets, a goal, an assist and 5 bonus points in 5 games. Jenk has 3 clean sheets and 4 bonus points in 5 games. Similar to Demel but Jenk is at home and Chelsea have struggled for goals in the last two league games. Clyne would only be playing for attacking points but I can see them conceding a few and him possibly ending up on 0 points.

Fair play to you if you're still reading after all that waffle but my choices would be Rafael, Cole and Jenk :D

Didnt see any waffle at all in there:D

You've just confirmed the selection that makes most sense to me too. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Looking for a defender at around 4.5m... options? I already have Demel and Clark.

Fonte (4m) - Southampton have the worst defensive record in the PL so far this season (20) but Fonte is the only player to have played every minute for them and scored TWICE yesterday. Not pure luck either, he scores on average 4 goals a season. Would most likely be a benchwarmer but at 4m it does free up some cash.

McCartney (3.9m) - Finally back in the team and responded with an assist. A lot of people had him and got rid after GW3 which has seen his price dropping to 3.9m. I already have 3 West Ham players though so not a possible move for me

Caulker (4.7m) - 0.1m out of my budget which is annoying, would be ideal.

Wisdom (4.5m) - Know nothing about this guy but he's played the last two games for Liverpool picking up 3 BP's yesterday?

Marc Wilson (4.5m) - Has played every game and Stoke's defense has been pretty strong so far this season.

Will Cashley get a game ban now or just a fine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Depends on the FA,it's not just the tweet that he'll be in trouble for.They are looking at the fact that he misled both the trial & the FA hearing into Terry's racism case.If they find that he lied then a long ban could be likely.

zerks wrote: »

Depends on the FA,it's not just the tweet that he'll be in trouble for.They are looking at the fact that he misled both the trial & the FA hearing into Terry's racism case.If they find that he lied then a long ban could be likely.

Any idea when they are likely to pass judgement?

• Advertisement

roryc wrote: »
    Looking for a defender at around 4.5m... options? I already have Demel and Clark.

Fonte (4m) - Southampton have the worst defensive record in the PL so far this season (20) but Fonte is the only player to have played every minute for them and scored TWICE yesterday. Not pure luck either, he scores on average 4 goals a season. Would most likely be a benchwarmer but at 4m it does free up some cash.

McCartney (3.9m) - Finally back in the team and responded with an assist. A lot of people had him and got rid after GW3 which has seen his price dropping to 3.9m. I already have 3 West Ham players though so not a possible move for me

Caulker (4.7m) - 0.1m out of my budget which is annoying, would be ideal.

Wisdom (4.5m) - Know nothing about this guy but he's played the last two games for Liverpool picking up 3 BP's yesterday?

Marc Wilson (4.5m) - Has played every game and Stoke's defense has been pretty strong so far this season.

I'd go for Hughes for Fulham. He should pick up a couple of clean sheets at home over the whole season. Exactly 4.5 too

Advertisement