Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Football - Midfielders

• 07-08-2012 12:19pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭

All talk about Midfielders to be kept in this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,709 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Thoughts on Cazorla? Could be good depending on his price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

AdamD wrote: »
    Thoughts on Cazorla? Could be good depending on his price

He is a must for me,the way Arsenal play he will create chances and with little challenges for his role he will get plenty game time..
    11 goals and 6 assits last season,pretty good
    Anything under 9 and he is in...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

As with all new mids, I'll hold firm and see how he does. There's no doubting he's a quality player but he could take time to find his feet.

I'd imagine Arsenal will start him but I'm waiting to see how they play with the new additions as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 spurskiely

Allen Swansea 5.5mil very good option.

Michu has scored for Swansea in a pre season game,Siggy mark 2 maybe?
    At 6.5 he could be tempting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Special Agent Oso

Snodgrass could be an outside bet as well 13 goals and 14 assists in the Championship last year, it'll be interesting to see how he does in the Premiership

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

With Silva not fit for the start of the season I'll be getting Cazorla in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭smokingman

Snodgrass could be an outside bet as well 13 goals and 14 assists in the Championship last year, it'll be interesting to see how he does in the Premiership

Don't think Norwich will be as good this year but don't know their new manager at all so could be talking out me ar$e there. If I was to take a gamble on one of the new teams midfielders, I'd go with Lallana. Best player on their team from what I'm told by a lifelong Saints fan.

Any more news on whether Hazard will be eased into the Chelsea team instead of starting both first games? Thinking I could use his money elsewhere now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

smokingman wrote: »
    Don't think Norwich will be as good this year but don't know their new manager at all so could be talking out me ar$e there. If I was to take a gamble on one of the new teams midfielders, I'd go with Lallana. Best player on their team from what I'm told by a lifelong Saints fan.

Any more news on whether Hazard will be eased into the Chelsea team instead of starting both first games? Thinking I could use his money elsewhere now...

He'll definitely start, the only question is how long he'll take to settle in. Have heard he's been totally average so far in pre-season. I had him in my team but removed him the other day in favour of Mata.

There are so many brilliant options in midfield :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

2 questions - first one, looking for a very cheap midfielder to try put a bit more money into my defence. anyone know much about danny guthrie? worth a shot at 4.5?

second question. are many people going with gerrard or lampard this year? lampard is tricky given how many midfielders chelsea have but thinking i'll put in a tried and trusted player like gerrard to begin with giving me the option then to swap him for hazard, kagawa etc once i see how they settle in (or keep gerrard if he's doing the business) I know liverpool have a couple of tricky fixtures to begin with but gerrard often shines in these type of games anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Hogey007 wrote: »
    2 questions - first one, looking for a very cheap midfielder to try put a bit more money into my defence. anyone know much about danny guthrie? worth a shot at 4.5?

second question. are many people going with gerrard or lampard this year? lampard is tricky given how many midfielders chelsea have but thinking i'll put in a tried and trusted player like gerrard to begin with giving me the option then to swap him for hazard, kagawa etc once i see how they settle in (or keep gerrard if he's doing the business) I know liverpool have a couple of tricky fixtures to begin with but gerrard often shines in these type of games anyway.

If you're looking to play a 4.5m midfielder all the time, and are looking for points from him, I don't think there's many options.

I wouldn't go with Lampard or Gerrard. You seem to be favouring Gerrard, but there's no way I'd go with him. If you don't fancy the untried lads like Kagawa or Hazard, I'd still go with Bale/Walcott/Sigurdsson over Gerrard.

If you don't like any of those players, I STILL wouldn't pick Gerrard. I'd go with someone cheaper like Sess or Yaya, and put the extra money into your 4.5m midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

keano_afc wrote: »

David Silva? Nothing on FantasyFootballScout about it :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'm pretty set on my goalkeeper, defence and strikers, but the midfield is the one position causing me a lot of doubt. I think the midfield is the key to challenging at the top of the leaderboards this year, but getting it right is so hard.

I usually play 4 midfielders every week and currently have Kagawa and Hazard as nailed on starters every week along with a £6.5m midfielder who I can't decide on (currently Pienaar) and a £5.0m or £5.5m midfielder being the other player, with a cheap-ish bench option filling up the last spot.

Of course Kagawa and Hazard are new additions and both Manchester United and Chelsea have so many options in midfield it's hard to know how things will start off. Spurs have some great fixtures to start and I do wonder if I'd be better off with Bale over Hazard as we know what he brings to the Fantasy Football table. I'll probably make this change after gameweek 2 anyway when Chelsea have a week off and at least by then we'll have seen how Hazard looks.

As for Kagawa, Manchester United fans have been raving about his performances in pre-season and he seems to be playing ''in the hole'' and as we all know, attacking players in top teams such as United's are FF gold. Rooney has been bigging him up too saying he think he'll create so many more chances for them. Looks an interesting proposition and at £8.5m is the cheapest route into the United midfield.

The £6.5m midfielder is a tricky one. There's so many options with many of them having the potential for great returns. Pienaar, Walters, McClean, Hoillet, then you have the likes of Taarabt (£6.0m) and N'Zogbia who didn't do much last year but look set to have good seasons and then more defensive minded players such as Song who scored well last year. Such a tough choice. Stoke have a horrendous start though, so maybe Walters is best avoided until November. I honestly don't know who to go with here yet but my midfield will contain one of the aforementioned players.

Noble (nice fixtures and set piece taker) and Maloney seem to be the most favoured of the £5.0m options, maybe Joe Allen could interest a few at £5.5m if his move to Liverpool goes through.

Overall I do think Hazard and Kagawa will be up there come the end of the season, the question is whether it will take them a while to settle in and be played regularly. Not much good having them at the start if they only get going in October/November.

So my midfield, praying that Hazard and Kagawa start, will more than likely look like this, with Hazard perhaps changing to Bale after GW2. I may also choose to go four at the back some weeks instead of playing Noble/Maloney:
    Hazard Kagawa £6.5m midfielder (Noble/Maloney)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

^^

If you can squeeze another 0.5m to your team, Ireland could come in for Maloney. Lambert has been talking about how importnat Ireland is to his team this year and is keen to get him playing in a position that will hurt the opposition. Ireland and Noble rotate perfectly until GW16 too, with both teams having tasty fixtures.

The 6.5 mid is a pain in the hole, I have it on Pienaar atm but any of the guys from your list could also do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

keano_afc wrote: »

How much do you think he'll be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

How much do you think he'll be?

if kagawa came in at 8.5 i would assume he will be 8.5 as well. looking at siggy i would say the extra .5 was because he had time to proove himself in the prem last year. cazorla/kagawa are new to the prem and looking like the same style of ff player so should be both 8.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

darego wrote: »
    if kagawa came in at 8.5 i would assume he will be 8.5 as well. looking at siggy i would say the extra .5 was because he had time to proove himself in the prem last year. cazorla/kagawa are new to the prem and looking like the same style of ff player so should be both 8.5

But then Hazard was 9.5m. It's all speculation now but he'll likely be between 8.5-9.5m. Walcott is 9.0m so my guess is Cazorla will be 9.0m too. Either way, he could be a cheap way to shoehorn an attacking Arsenal player into our teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

didn't think about hazard.. damn yeah looks like we'll just have to wait and see :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

If you're looking to play a 4.5m midfielder all the time, and are looking for points from him, I don't think there's many options.

I wouldn't go with Lampard or Gerrard. You seem to be favouring Gerrard, but there's no way I'd go with him. If you don't fancy the untried lads like Kagawa or Hazard, I'd still go with Bale/Walcott/Sigurdsson over Gerrard.

If you don't like any of those players, I STILL wouldn't pick Gerrard. I'd go with someone cheaper like Sess or Yaya, and put the extra money into your 4.5m midfielder.

hmmm yeah I might look at Bale actually, still gives me what i want in having a tried and trusted player in. If Hazard, Cazorla, Kagawa hit the ground running I'll be able to switch them in for Bale or if Gerrard starts off blindingly i could add him in then.

Might try get 1.0 mil from elsewhere to put in Ireland for Guthrie, I'm sold with all the talk about him on here. Or else might go for Noble.

cheers for your input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I wreckon cazorla will be around the 8.0 mark, maybe 8.5 at the most

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Thinking of swapping Silva/Hazard for Bale/Cazorla. The Spuds do have a nice start to the season and I dont see many teams with the simian included. I think Cazorla might be a safer bet than Hazard, after the DGW of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Michu or Pienaar? I'd have said pienaar all day long but for fixtures - home v man u, followed by two away fixtures. Although no really tough fixtures

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Michu or Pienaar? I'd have said pienaar all day long but for fixtures - home v man u, followed by two away fixtures. Although no really tough fixtures

Michu i think will get plenty games for Swansea given his knack for goals so i have chosen him,Pienaar offers good assist potential but Everton are unpredictable early in the season so jury is out slightly on them for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I dont think you can do this in isolation as it depends on your forwards.

I have agerio roonpig and graham so leaves me looking for chelsea coverage- I have gone with Lampard as he is on set pieces and playing well preseason until the midfield is bedded down.

Tottenham- Siggy.

Both of these offer cover and can change for someone in form- Walcott etc.

Noble, SWP (Who is UNREAL preseason and two soft opening fixtures) and gutherie for the double.

I dont intend changing my forwards or def so midfield is where I will be jumping depending on fixtures and form

McClean played superbly well tonight for Sunderland in a friendly against Derby. Yes, I know only a friendly but he scored 1 and had ran rampant for the 80 minutes that he played. He'll start every week and at £6.5m is very tempting.

Once Sunderland get a tough opener to Arsenal out of the way they have games against Reading, Swansea, Liverpool (H), West Ham, Wigan, Man City, Newcastle (H), Stoke, Villa, Everton, West Brom and QPR. Not a bad opening quarter of the season at all.

Is anyone else thinking of forgetting about the high priced players that may not play every week such as Hazard, Kagawa etc and filling their midifeld with the excellent £6.5m options such as McClean, Pienaar, Walters, etc. It's something that is tempting me now although I might see how Hazard gets on for the DGW and use my wildcard if things don't go as planned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Any Villa fans tell me what they think of Ireland for this season. Their is talk of him playing behind Bent. If he does for 5.5 million he could be a good pick. Lambert plays nice football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Paully D wrote: »
    Is anyone else thinking of forgetting about the high priced players that may not play every week such as Hazard, Kagawa etc and filling their midifeld with the excellent £6.5m options such as McClean, Pienaar, Walters, etc. It's something that is tempting me now although I might see how Hazard gets on for the DGW and use my wildcard if things don't go as planned.

Thiking of using your wildcard already!!!:eek:

I dont think we'll be lucky enough to get a freebie in week 2 again:pac::pac:

Thiking of using your wildcard already!!!:eek:

I dont think we'll be lucky enough to get a freebie in week 2 again:pac::pac:

I usually always use mine after the first few weeks anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

I have to big up Bale here. He may be a bit of a nonce rolling around on the ground at times, but he's turned into pretty much the best all-round winger in the game at the moment (imo). Great crosser for assists, good shot on him, scores a few with his head too. Slight worry how Spurs might fare if Modric goes (who will they replace him with??), and also their striker situation, but Bale is that good i'm confident to have him from the start. No rotation worries either!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Carzola in at £9mil, just changed him for Yaya using my last 1 million in the bank! Hopefully he will be a regular starter! at that price it is ridiculous if he isn't! then again, Kagawa and Hazard are both expensive considering nobody knows if they will be starters from the beggining or not!

Hazard and Carzola in my sqaud now though so hopefully i'm not left with 2 high profile bench warmers!! :rolleyes::pac:

Advertisement