Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Football - Midfielders

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I wreckon cazorla will be around the 8.0 mark, maybe 8.5 at the most

9.0 which seems pricey but when you put Yaya at 8.0 and the likely hood of him being played in a holding role this season 9.0 is not so bad.
    Carzola is likely to be put straight into the gunners team i reckon,i myself have sold Yaya and put him in.
    Giroud seems pretty good in front of gaol and should tuck away what Carzola create for him

Carzola in at £9mil, just changed him for Yaya using my last 1 million in the bank! Hopefully he will be a regular starter! at that price it is ridiculous if he isn't! then again, Kagawa and Hazard are both expensive considering nobody knows if they will be starters from the beggining or not!

Hazard and Carzola in my sqaud now though so hopefully i'm not left with 2 high profiel bench warmers!! :rolleyes::pac:

SNAP!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

dahat wrote: »
    redzerdrog wrote: »
    I wreckon cazorla will be around the 8.0 mark, maybe 8.5 at the most

9.0 which seems pricey but when you put Yaya at 8.0 and the likely hood of him being played in a holding role this season 9.0 is not so bad.
    Carzola is likely to be put straight into the gunners team i reckon,i myself have sold Yaya and put him in.
    Giroud seems pretty good in front of gaol and should tuck away what Carzola create for him

i have a feeling Mancini might play that 5-3-2 for some games though (he's been experimenting with it pre-season), if that's the case Yaya could be great value for 8.0

manual_man wrote: »
    i have a feeling Mancini might play that 5-3-2 for some games though (he's been experimenting with it pre-season), if that's the case Yaya could be great value for 8.0

3-5-2 you mean? would make sense in buying Agger then.......that formation will need a defensive 2,Barry and Yaya or Yaya and Dejong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

3-5-2 you mean? would make sense in buying Agger then.......that formation will need a defensive 2,Barry and Yaya or Yaya and Dejong

Same thing really. Zab and Kolarov were playing in the wide roles, and Yaya much further forward. All the same Yaya scored very well from his traditional holding role in the latter parts of last season. Guaranteed starter too

• Advertisement

Same thing really. Zab and Kolarov were playing in the wide roles, and Yaya much further forward. All the same Yaya scored very well from his traditional holding role in the latter parts of last season. Guaranteed starter too

Yaya was a big scorer late in the season but that was only after 50 ish minutes when a tactical change was made to win games,not sure if Mancini will do so early in the season tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

I had wanted Yaya out of my team for a while but wasn't certain who to bring in for him! I agree if he's playing in an attacking role then at 8mil he is great value but I reckon he will more then likely have more a defensive role, at least to begin with! I'll see after the first couple of gameweeks and if he's clocking up the points with assists or an odd goal will bring him back in then! Carzola should be in an attacking role from the get go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

9.0 for cazorla is a bit more than i had hoped for, think i will leave him for a couple of weeks to see how arsenal line up. My current expebsive mids are bale, hazard and kagawa so can easily change for one of these if needs be

• Registered Users Posts: 3 keithyob

Hi guy can yous please help me.. this is my final team i have so far for gameweek 1 let me know what yous think?

Krul £5.5 sub – (Cerny £4.0)

Evra £7.0 Clichy £6.0 Walker £6.5 Williams £5.0 sub – (Clyne £4.0)

Valencia£9.0 Yaya Toure£8.0 Cabaye£7.0 subs – (Guthrie£ 4.5) (Britton £4.5)

Pogrebnyak £5.0 Torres£10.0 Aguero£11.5

i have 2.5 in the bank

I want to change torres for rooney in gamie week 2 and i want to get kawaga for valancia but ino kawaga isnt going to start at everton so will i wait or just get him in now incase the money goes up or him?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Silva out, Cazorla in. Although his name is spelt wrong on the site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Any advice on which of these midfields you think is best please lads?

Option 1)

Hazard, Kagawa, £6.5 midfielder, Noble, Maloney

Option 2)

Bale, Pienaar, McClean, £6.5m midfielder, Ireland

I'm thinking option 2. There's a bit too much uncertainty with the big priced Manchester United and Chelsea midfielders.

I'll put Torres in for Rooney to get decent Chelsea coverage for the DGW with £2.0m left in the bank to change if necessary.

Thoughts?

Paully D wrote: »

Option 1)

Option 2)

I'm thinking option 2. There's a bit too much uncertainty with the big priced Manchester United and Chelsea midfielders.

I'll put Torres in for Rooney to get decent Chelsea coverage for the DGW with £2.0m left in the bank to change if necessary.

Thoughts?

On Bale,is VDV not a better option at 9.0 if ADE does not come,spot kicks etc?
    Spurs mid + kagawa with Noble and ANOTHER would be my pick of those,not quite what you asked but so be it........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

I'm pretty set on my goalkeeper, defence and strikers, but the midfield is the one position causing me a lot of doubt. I think the midfield is the key to challenging at the top of the leaderboards this year, but getting it right is so hard.

I usually play 4 midfielders every week and currently have Kagawa and Hazard as nailed on starters every week along with a £6.5m midfielder who I can't decide on (currently Pienaar) and a £5.0m or £5.5m midfielder being the other player, with a cheap-ish bench option filling up the last spot.

Of course Kagawa and Hazard are new additions and both Manchester United and Chelsea have so many options in midfield it's hard to know how things will start off. Spurs have some great fixtures to start and I do wonder if I'd be better off with Bale over Hazard as we know what he brings to the Fantasy Football table. I'll probably make this change after gameweek 2 anyway when Chelsea have a week off and at least by then we'll have seen how Hazard looks.

As for Kagawa, Manchester United fans have been raving about his performances in pre-season and he seems to be playing ''in the hole'' and as we all know, attacking players in top teams such as United's are FF gold. Rooney has been bigging him up too saying he think he'll create so many more chances for them. Looks an interesting proposition and at £8.5m is the cheapest route into the United midfield.

The £6.5m midfielder is a tricky one. There's so many options with many of them having the potential for great returns. Pienaar, Walters, McClean, Hoillet, then you have the likes of Taarabt (£6.0m) and N'Zogbia who didn't do much last year but look set to have good seasons and then more defensive minded players such as Song who scored well last year. Such a tough choice. Stoke have a horrendous start though, so maybe Walters is best avoided until November. I honestly don't know who to go with here yet but my midfield will contain one of the aforementioned players.

Noble (nice fixtures and set piece taker) and Maloney seem to be the most favoured of the £5.0m options, maybe Joe Allen could interest a few at £5.5m if his move to Liverpool goes through.

Overall I do think Hazard and Kagawa will be up there come the end of the season, the question is whether it will take them a while to settle in and be played regularly. Not much good having them at the start if they only get going in October/November.

So my midfield, praying that Hazard and Kagawa start, will more than likely look like this, with Hazard perhaps changing to Bale after GW2. I may also choose to go four at the back some weeks instead of playing Noble/Maloney:
    Hazard Kagawa £6.5m midfielder (Noble/Maloney)
    I'm going to start with Kagawa Hazard McAnuff (5.5m + 2 games) & Noble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

what are people's thoughts on Joe Allen at 5.5 now that he's likely to complete his liverpool switch today?

117 points last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Option 1)

Option 2)

Thoughts?

Option 2. I'd go with proven midfielders over the unknown all day long.

I've seen people on here get caught up in the hype and proclaim Kagawa as one of the best midfielders in the world at playing in the hole. There's no doubting the lad looks quality but he's played 50 games in German football. 21 goals is a tremendous return but I'm waiting to see how he beds in and I wouldn't be seeing him as one of the best midfielders in the world until he proves it at United.

I've also heard he transferred for about 14 million which is relatively modest compared to the sums paid for the likes of Hazard and Cazorla. Then there is all the uncertainty regarding United's midfield/strikers and rotation.

The max I would have is one unproven, new signing, in my midfield or strikers. There's just too many variables with new unknown players. If Hazard, Kagawa or Cazorla starts setting the world alight, you can always transfer them in. The old reliables like Jon Walters and Bale have been there every year getting decent scores time and time again.

Hogey007 wrote: »
    what are people's thoughts on Joe Allen at 5.5 now that he's likely to complete his liverpool switch today?

117 points last season.

He is in my team,looks a definate starter and a that price,a steal,points total from last year was pretty ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Lemlin wrote: »

I've also heard he transferred for about 14 million which is relatively modest compared to the sums paid for the likes of Hazard and Cazorla. Then there is all the uncertainty regarding United's midfield/strikers and rotation.

He only had a year left on his contract so it wasn't that modest a fee at all. He is absolute quality and I'd rather take the risk of having him in my team than not having him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Option 2. I'd go with proven midfielders over the unknown all day long.

I've seen people on here get caught up in the hype and proclaim Kagawa as one of the best midfielders in the world at playing in the hole. There's no doubting the lad looks quality but he's played 50 games in German football. 21 goals is a tremendous return but I'm waiting to see how he beds in and I wouldn't be seeing him as one of the best midfielders in the world until he proves it at United.

The max I would have is one unproven, new signing, in my midfield or strikers. There's just too many variables with new unknown players. If Hazard, Kagawa or Cazorla starts setting the world alight, you can always transfer them in. The old reliables like Jon Walters and Bale have been there every year getting decent scores time and time again.

Ah FFS you are stressing me out ha:rolleyes: I was happy enough with my team but im starting to think you are right about having more then one unknown in your team to begin with! I just brought Cazorla in and already had Hazard. Might swap Hazard for VDV now as Spurs fixtures are tasty to begin with! Just wanted plenty of Chelsea cover for the DGW but i guess its probably not worth it if we don't know he's a guaranteed starter yet! As Arsenal are not in the same boat with a ridiculous amount of midfield options id say Cazorla is a nailed on starter from the get go!

qwabercd wrote: »
    He only had a year left on his contract so it wasn't that modest a fee at all. He is absolute quality and I'd rather take the risk of having him in my team than not having him.

But what are you basing this opinion on that he is "absolute quality"? For me, alot of people are basing it on that he has just signed for United and that alone.

I didn't hear too many people raving about Kagawa last year. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places but I wasn't aware of his stats for Dortmund until I looked them up and other than a few small news stories I hadn't heard much about him before now. Whereas I had heard of the likes of Hazard.

The other factor is that United were beaten for pretty much every other signing they've gone for this year but got Kagawa, at a modest fee. If he's that good why weren't Chelsea, City or PSG sniffing around?

And I don't get this whole "risk of not having him". A player can be transferred in any week. If he does well, I'll gladly back down from my words above and bring him in but I can't see him having a cracker of a week where not having him leaves me at a distinct advantage.

I'll be playing my wildcard at the international break in Gameweek 3 as I always do anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

He is in my team,looks a definate starter and a that price,a steal,points total from last year was pretty ok.

how deep will allen play though? i think i'd prefer an attacking ireland for villa for 5.5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

If he's that good why weren't Chelsea, City or PSG sniffing around?
    Because they haven't got great scouts like United.

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    If he's that good why weren't Chelsea, City or PSG sniffing around?
    Because they haven't got great scouts like United.

The same lads that scouted Bebe!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

The same lads that scouted Bebe!?

Bébé wasn't actually scouted, he was signed at the recommendation of Carlos Queiroz. No-one knows why.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Skippy44

United have been chasing him for a while, the fact they got him done and dusted early in the summer speaks for itself imo, v good player. I'll still wait a week or so to see how he's deployed tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Cazorla is a scary 9 million,don't think many will take a chance at that price.

Allen @ 5.5 could be a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,299 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

But what are you basing this opinion on that he is "absolute quality"? For me, alot of people are basing it on that he has just signed for United and that alone.

I didn't hear too many people raving about Kagawa last year. Perhaps I'm not looking in the right places but I wasn't aware of his stats for Dortmund until I looked them up and other than a few small news stories I hadn't heard much about him before now. Whereas I had heard of the likes of Hazard.

The other factor is that United were beaten for pretty much every other signing they've gone for this year but got Kagawa, at a modest fee. If he's that good why weren't Chelsea, City or PSG sniffing around?

And I don't get this whole "risk of not having him". A player can be transferred in any week. If he does well, I'll gladly back down from my words above and bring him in but I can't see him having a cracker of a week where not having him leaves me at a distinct advantage.

I'll be playing my wildcard at the international break in Gameweek 3 as I always do anyway.
    so because you didn't watch any German football last season Kagawa isn't as good as Hazard or whoever? You are saying that he is not as high a standard because City and PSG weren't interested in him, so that is the barometer for good players now? Is Carzorla suddenly not a good player now because Arsenal got him?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

zerks wrote: »
    Cazorla is a scary 9 million,don't think many will take a chance at that price.

Allen @ 5.5 could be a bargain.

I have Cazorla. Great range of passing, two footed and takes a great free kick. I think he's a better option than Kagawa, Lampard etc as I reckon he'll be a guaranteed starter. And at that price if he's not doing the goods you can ship him out fro pretty much any other midfieldr in the game.

Skippy44 wrote: »
    United have been chasing him for a while, the fact they got him done and dusted early in the summer speaks for itself imo, v good player. I'll still wait a week or so to see how he's deployed tho.

For what it's worth, every game he has played in pre-season (which is four so far I think) has been in the hole behind a lone striker. Also in those games while he was behind the striker Utd looked better going forward than when they had two up front in the same game.

I reckon he'll start the season the same way, in behind Rooney. He already looks better than any other Utd player at central link up play and he's not afraid to shoot (and on target so far).

The real cause for concern is not whether he'll start or not, it's where the majority of assists for Utd will come from, because Valencia (along with Scholes) has looked the best in pre-season. Kagawa will score more goals than Valencia though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Don't support a premiership team so it's not united goggles. Would have watched as much of dortmund as any premiership team last season and have been raving about shinji to mates for a long time (when he broke his metatarsal in the asian cup was a big set back but he regained that form). He is the real deal, and the argument about him inly having done it in a poorer league is bull imo, German league is 3rd best in Europe going by UEFA co-efficient (which is flawed I know). Kagawa plays very advanced which is perfect for FF midfielder, and as well as scoring a lot he's a great provider.

• Advertisement

For what it's worth, Kagawa just played a full 90 there against Hannover. Started in CM with Clevery and bossed things, took a few shots and put one chance on a plate two yards out that was somehow wasted.

Then Hernandez came off, Kagawa went up behind/beside Rooney and scored a peach of a goal soon after. He looks like Utd's version of Silva, and at £8.5m is a bargain.

Also worth noting Rooney scored a free kick and penalty, and assisted the Kagawa goal.

Advertisement