Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy Football - Forwards

• 07-08-2012 12:19pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

All talk about Forwards to be kept in this thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Special Agent Oso

The 3 Southampton forwards could make great 3rd choice backups this year with Rickie Lambert valued at 6m scored 27 goals and got 13 assists, Billy Sharp got 19 goals and is valued at 5.0 and their new signing Jay Rodriquez got 15 goals for Burnley and is valued at 5.5m. Sharp and Rodriquez will probably battle it out for a starting place along side Sotons main man Lambert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

The 3 Southampton forwards could make great 3rd choice backups this year with Rickie Lambert valued at 6m scored 27 goals and got 13 assists, Billy Sharp got 19 goals and is valued at 5.0 and their new signing Jay Rodriquez got 15 goals for Burnley and is valued at 5.5m. Sharp and Rodriquez will probably battle it out for a starting place along side Sotons main man Lambert.

Except that unless there's a chance that all three will play, then you've got rotation issues. The last thing you want are the players who will come on as subs, which I fear will be the situation with Sharp and Rodriguez.

I imagine that Ricki Lambert will be the only nailed on starter of the three? Although he's got a knock at the moment according to FFS

It's going hard to talk about all the different forwards in the same thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Danny Graham with a hattrick and an assist in their 4-2 win over Blackpool. I've been swapping him and Petric in and out of my team the past few days but I think Graham's cemented his spot now given his fixtures and EPL experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Pretty easy decision for me, especially with the uncertainty over Van Persie.

Rooney and Aguero in as the big hitters, they should both hit 20-25 goals this season and whilst both do a lot better at home, they rotate home and away games each week for the whole season so you should see decent returns from at least one of them each gameweek to justify the huge price tag.

The 3rd striker for me is Danny Graham. A great set of opening fixtures and he'll be playing in a similar system to the one that seemed to suit him last year. He's definitely going to start too which is something that shouldn't be overlooked. Whilst I don't pay much attention to pre-season results he seems to be flying lately and at £6.0m is a bargain in my opinion.

Petric seems to be a popular option but I think he might struggle at first with the pace of the Premier League. Pogrebnyak also seems a popular choice especially at £1.0m less than Graham or Petric, but I personally don't fancy him to do the business this year. Remember that although he had a great record for Fulham last year, he scored 5 of his 6 goals in 3 games and then did very little in the following few months. He won't get many chances per game with Reading either and there's always a danger a player will take the foot off the gas when they sign a long deal on big wages, as he has done. Just my opinion.
    Aguero Rooney Graham

That strikeforce every week whilst, for most weeks, captaining the one who's playing at home out of Aguero and Rooney should net me decent returns up front. Of course if Van Persie winds up staying at Arsenal or joining another Premier League team I will have to re-evaluate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

^^

My thoughts exactly. Although Torres will be in my team for GW1 and swapped out for Rooney for GW2, regardless of how well Torres does in GW1. DWG for Torres away to Wigan and home to Reading is much more appealing than Rooney away to Everton. In saying that, Aguero will still be my captain for GW1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

definitely the hardest area for me and for most i would imagine.

currently have pog, aguero and torres.

but RVP looks like he could be staying and there is always rooney to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

If RVP stays will

RVP/Cisse/Graham be preferrable to Roo/aguero/Pog for many people? (GW1 Torres aside)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Paully D wrote: »
    Pretty easy decision for me, especially with the uncertainty over Van Persie.

Rooney and Aguero in as the big hitters, they should both hit 20-25 goals this season and whilst both do a lot better at home, they rotate home and away games each week for the whole season so you should see decent returns from at least one of them each gameweek to justify the huge price tag.

The 3rd striker for me is Danny Graham. A great set of opening fixtures and he'll be playing in a similar system to the one that seemed to suit him last year. He's definitely going to start too which is something that shouldn't be overlooked. Whilst I don't pay much attention to pre-season results he seems to be flying lately and at £6.0m is a bargain in my opinion.

Petric seems to be a popular option but I think he might struggle at first with the pace of the Premier League. Pogrebnyak also seems a popular choice especially at £1.0m less than Graham or Petric, but I personally don't fancy him to do the business this year. Remember that although he had a great record for Fulham last year, he scored 5 of his 6 goals in 3 games and then did very little in the following few months. He won't get many chances per game with Reading either and there's always a danger a player will take the foot off the gas when they sign a long deal on big wages, as he has done. Just my opinion.
    Aguero Rooney Graham

That strikeforce every week whilst, for most weeks, captaining the one who's playing at home out of Aguero and Rooney should net me decent returns up front. Of course if Van Persie winds up staying at Arsenal or joining another Premier League team I will have to re-evaluate.

I'm not sure about Rooney at the minute. He didn't look on the ball at the Euros and I think he could be getting a bit burned out. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rooney rested in more games this season and Hernandez/Wellbeck start up front. United now have a glut of midfield options and it appears that only one striker will be played. Is Berba still knocking around too?

I had a look at Petric as well. Fulham are a team who often run up high scores against teams and have decent wingers and creative mids. However, I'm wondering will he definitely start? I think he's one to keep an eye on but I'd be worried about a potential front pairing of Rodallega and Dempsey, with Petric being an impact sub. He hasn't exactly been prolific in his past either.

As regards the Pog, I agree exactly with what you've said. He had a few good weeks last season in a Fulham team who I would see as better than Reading and people are expecting a lot. I haven't looked at the stats but I heard Reading's goals were few and far between last season and they haven't invested much this year.

In terms of Graham, I have my doubts about him too. I can't see Swansea doing as well under Laudrup and I honestly have fears that they are a club like Blackburn or Charlton in the past who will capitulate when they haven't a capable manager and get relegated.

There's a lot to consider!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Think Darren Bent could be a good pick. Lambert will play some nice football and Bent will probably be up top on him own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Anyone know how WHam Maiga is doing in pre season? Seems good value at 5.5m. Perhaps could be an early bandwagon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭shano_88

Thoughs on Defoe at 7.5. He is currently Spurs only striker and they have a relatively easy start to season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Whats the situation with Adeyabor, is he a Spur or back at city

thomasm wrote: »
    Whats the situation with Adeyabor, is he a Spur or back at city

A fee was agreed but last I heard Ade wanted 200k a week and Spurs didn't want to pay it. He's a City player at present.

Wondering how much people think Tevez will be rotated? He isn't the type to take it very well but obviously Dzeko and ballsacktelli have to get game time too.

The 2.5m saved for Aguero to him - allows Graham to be upgraded to Jellyfish and then transfer Pienaar to McClean (to spread risk)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,820 ✭✭✭✭dahat

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Wondering how much people think Tevez will be rotated? He isn't the type to take it very well but obviously Dzeko and ballsacktelli have to get game time too.

The 2.5m saved for Aguero to him - allows Graham to be upgraded to Jellyfish and then transfer Pienaar to McClean (to spread risk)

Torres,Auguero with Bent/Graham seems to be the preferred 3 starting out,Tevez does appeal but unless Auguero flops he is the main man in Mancini's eyes,imo.
    Upgrading Graham is something i would hold back on,Swansea have winnable games plus he is more or less set for 90mins each game.
    P.S who is jellyfish?????

dahat wrote: »
    Torres,Auguero with Bent/Graham seems to be the preferred 3 starting out,Tevez does appeal but unless Auguero flops he is the main man in Mancini's eyes,imo.
    Upgrading Graham is something i would hold back on,Swansea have winnable games plus he is more or less set for 90mins each game.
    P.S who is jellyfish?????

Jelavic, good point on Graham tho, i worked hard to fit him in so no need to upgrade him - will wait see how he does.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Jelavic, good point on Graham tho, i worked hard to fit him in so no need to upgrade him - will wait see how he does.

I doubt Tevez is fit for 90 minute games so I'd expect him to be coming off for Balotelli or Dzeko and Aguero to stay on.

I think Aguero is going to be the main man this year. Don't know how many times I've said it now but last year he was new to the PL and only after the Copa America and performed well.

This year he's now acclimatised and he's had a nice quiet Summer, unlike RVP, Rooney and Torres.

I reckon there's a good chance Rooney will be moved off penalties. He missed four last season and another last night. Will Fergie persist with him?

I also think that Van Persie will end up signing for Manchester United now, probably on Friday the 17th to throw a huge spanner in the works for Fantasy Football managers everywhere :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

Haven't heard much about Ba, anyone getting him in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭token56

Lukaku on loan at West brom could be very interesting. He is unproven in the league but to be fair never get a run of games last year. West brom themselves are a bit of an unknown this year but I've a feeling they are going to do well and Lukaku is definitely one to watch out for.

• Advertisement

token56 wrote: »
    Lukaku on loan at West brom could be very interesting. He is unproven in the league but to be fair never get a run of games last year. West brom themselves are a bit of an unknown this year but I've a feeling they are going to do well and Lukaku is definitely one to watch out for.

Ya was looking at him today, hes 6.5. Hes definitely a player capable of scoring a lot of goals, but at the moment its hard to know what way West Brom will play this season and whether Lukaku will be able to hit the ground running considering hes had so little football in the past year. I will definitely be keeping a close eye on him for the first few weeks. He could be one of the first bandwagon players if his double gameweek goes well, away to wigan and at home to reading, could be goals got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

i have 5-6 mill to spend on a striker who i think will go up in value... im looking at sunderland and thinking under martin oneill this season they will be quite good...who will feature up front for them? i expect them to make a big signing, but frazier campbell seems to be good value at 5.5? he is a goalscorer and my bench is strong enough to survive him not starting every week, any thoughts? any sunderland fans out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

i have 5-6 mill to spend on a striker who i think will go up in value... im looking at sunderland and thinking under martin oneill this season they will be quite good...who will feature up front for them? i expect them to make a big signing, but frazier campbell seems to be good value at 5.5? he is a goalscorer and my bench is strong enough to survive him not starting every week, any thoughts? any sunderland fans out there?
    How about Graham or Pog for cheaper options?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Steel Dog

I reckon there's a good chance Rooney will be moved off penalties. He missed four last season and another last night. Will Fergie persist with him?

I also think that Van Persie will end up signing for Manchester United now, probably on Friday the 17th to throw a huge spanner in the works for Fantasy Football managers everywhere :pac:

Rooney scored 2 tonight and assisted another. One goal was from the penalty spot and the other was a free kick. He also got man of the match.

I think there is no way Fergie will take him off penalty taking duty. I know Young, Nani, Giggs, etc. would be good candidates to take a penalty but they will be rotated too much while Rooney wont. It is better for a team to have a penalty taker who is nearly always on the pitch instead of chopping and changing. I am only taking into account the current Man Utd squad, if RVP signs then if Rooney missed one or two there mite be a change to RVP.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭farranreeboy

What about demba ba can he repeat last year's form? will he stay or leave newcastle

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Skippy44

MON is actively looking for a striker, has had bids for Steven Fletcher turned down already but is persisting. I'm not sure he has faith in Campbell tbh. Sry to be putting you off but I'd reckon he won't get much game time unless they're stuck. Pogrebnyak at those sort of prices prob offers the most value/gametime. At 6m Petric ("a good no 9" says Jol) or Graham are the standouts imo.

Yep, I am :)

Steven Fletcher will be our main striker. If you want to definitely get a Sunderland striker in then he's the one to go for. Deal should hopefully get done over the next week or two.

Forget about Campbell or any other Sunderland forward. Apart from one or two games when he got back from injury, Frazier has been pretty poor for us and to say he's been worse than shite in preseason would be an understatement. He might play against Arsenal first game of the season as we're stuck for strikers as things stand but after that Fletcher should be fit and ready to go for us meaning Campbell won't get much of a look in.

Go for Graham for £6.0m would be my advice mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭carlcon

Yep, I am :)

Steven Fletcher will be our main striker. If you want to definitely get a Sunderland striker in then he's the one to go for. Deal should hopefully get done over the next week or two.

Forget about Campbell or any other Sunderland forward. Apart from one or two games when he got back from injury, Frazier has been pretty poor for us and to say he's been worse than shite in preseason would be an understatement. He might play against Arsenal first game of the season as we're stuck for strikers as things stand but after that Fletcher should be fit and ready to go for us meaning Campbell won't get much of a look in.

Go for Graham for £6.0m would be my advice mate.

While we're talking Sunderland... what you expecting from Sessegnon this year? Will Fletcher hurt him in FF terms?

My first draft had Sess because I fancied him pretty much playing up top, but when I heard about Fletcher I "downgraded" (I honestly don't see it as a downgrade now) to Larsson, saving 1.5m. I figure Larsson will still be the set-piece king at the Stadium of Light, so add that to a new target in the box to aim his crosses to, and I fancy my wonderboy from the first half of last season to produce the goods from the off again.

Am I the only one whose opinion of Lukaku is wildly skewed because of the Football Manager games from back when he was 15/16? In my head, he's still expecting 40 goals this season... :rolleyes::P

Joking aside, it's probably best to wait about a month before considering him. See how he fits in before offering him one-third of your precious striker spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭token56

carlcon wrote: »
    Joking aside, it's probably best to wait about a month before considering him. See how he fits in before offering him one-third of your precious striker spots.

Absolutely I wont be considering him for a few weeks but he's definitely on my watch list.

Another general forward question, how likely are Spurs to sign a new forward before the start of the season? I know Ade is likely to come back if wages can be sorted out and either way they need someone but if Defoe could hold down some sort of regular starting position I think he would be great value at 7.5.

• Advertisement

carlcon wrote: »

Absolutely I wont be considering him for a few weeks but he's definitely on my watch list.

Another general forward question, how likely are Spurs to sign a new forward before the start of the season? I know Ade is likely to come back if wages can be sorted out and either way they need someone but if Defoe could hold down some sort of regular starting position I think he would be great value at 7.5.

My only worry would be that Spurs have been juggling midfielders round. If they've no striker, what's to stop AVB fielding Van Der Vaart up front with Bale and Siggy behind him?

Advertisement