Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office Jobs In Oz

Options
  • 07-08-2012 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Hi

Travelling to Perth in 5 weeks time on a WHV. Currently working in an office and hoping to work in an office environment when I arrive there. Brother lives there and is going to take me to some recruitment places to get started - just wondering if anyone has any experience of office/admin work on this visa?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

I had about 3 and a half year's office experience at home, then came over here about 7 months ago on a WHV.
    Just send your CV to all the recruitment agencies that you can, and follow up with a phonecall if you don't hear back after a few days. There's not much point applying to companies directly, or for jobs that aren't advertised as temp positions (unfortunately most employers seem to assume that we'll just work for 2 or 3 weeks then f**k off, so they won't offer anything long term).
    Your best bet is to get a temp contract for a few weeks, then 90% of the time you'll get kept on longer, it's happened to me and most of the lads I know over here that do office work.
    Best of luck with it anyway, and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Amazon32

Im in Melbourne on the whv and doing office jobs. The first job i got directly from the company, think i got lucky doh as the other 3 im with all got through agencies. When my contract was up i joined an agency and got another through them.

Look up all the agencies in Perth and join them. The two im with here are hays and ranstad.

Also use www.seek.com and just click the temp and casual boxes and they list all the jobs.

You should be fine with experience, plenty of temp office work here in Melbourne and im sure Perth is similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

Yeah Hays and Ranstad are very good, try Chandler McLeod too for temp work. I'm in Melbourne too, but I assume the 3 of them are nationwide, as they all seem to be fairly big.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭manlad

I'm currently with Chandler Macleod here in Melbourne, cant speak highly enough of them, great for contract jobs and decent pay.

Advertisement