Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing Lake

Options
  • 07-08-2012 12:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46

Can anyone help me please

when i was in 6th year in school our geography teacher took us on a school trip into the wicklow area. We went to glendalough but we also visited another lake that i cant seem to find anywhere . for the most part it was hidden away but i do remember there being a pink house on the side of the road near the lake . i searched all around the area on google maps and cant seem to locate it - im from dublin and have been to the area many times but cant seem to find it -- any help would be appriciated

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

So it's a lake somewhere in county wicklow with a pink house? Was it near glendalough?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 david1982

well it was deffo in that area -- the teacher was showing us examples of v shaped vallys , interlocking spurs etc -- it was like a lake surrounded by mountains - have to say it was the most beautiful place ive ever been to in ireland but its deffo not glendalough lakes itsself but would be near enough id imagine ..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The only large lakes in that area near to Glendalough which would have any houses (not pink ones though as far as I can recall) near them and be visible from a road would be Lough Tay or Lough Dan. There are a few smaller lakes and turloughs high up in the hills themselves but there's no houses or indeed any kind of building anywhere near those.

Actually when I read the thread title I thought this would be about the missing 'third lake' .. there's an area up at the very top of the Glenealo valley, near Lough Firrib, called Three Lakes, except there are only two :)

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭rat_race

david1982 wrote: »
    well it was deffo in that area -- the teacher was showing us examples of v shaped vallys , interlocking spurs etc -- it was like a lake surrounded by mountains - have to say it was the most beautiful place ive ever been to in ireland but its deffo not glendalough lakes itsself but would be near enough id imagine ..

I would say it was Lough Tay too...stunning up there. Lough Dan is definitely a bit more closed off though...so could be that either. Zoom in with satellite view on Google Maps and see if either ring a bell.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

Can anyone help me please

when i was in 6th year in school our geography teacher took us on a school trip into the wicklow area. We went to glendalough but we also visited another lake that i cant seem to find anywhere . for the most part it was hidden away but i do remember there being a pink house on the side of the road near the lake . i searched all around the area on google maps and cant seem to locate it - im from dublin and have been to the area many times but cant seem to find it -- any help would be appriciated

thanks

Bit of a tall order.... But could it be Lough Bray Lower? House not pink (now at least)........

[URL="mhtml:{852A73D8-D91D-4EF6-A2D8-27794790D1DA}mid://00000000/!x-usc:http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1311&bih=538&wrapid=tlif134434157535410&q=google+maps+ireland&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x4859bae45c4027fb:0xcf7c1234cedbf408,Ireland&gl=ie&sa=X&ei=LwYhUO69MuOn4gTE_4A4&ved=0CAUQ8gEwAA"]http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1311&bih=538&wrapid=tlif134434157535410&q=google+maps+ireland&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x4859bae45c4027fb:0xcf7c1234cedbf408,Ireland&gl=ie&sa=X&ei=LwYhUO69MuOn4gTE_4A4&ved=0CAUQ8gEwAA[/URL]

• Advertisement

yeah alun i accually seen that 3 lakes place alright when i was looking on google maps - ah i guess im doomed never to find the place -- we had to get off the coach and walk past the house to the lake which only took a minute to get too . im nearly 100 perceent the house was pink because other wise it would not have stood out - id really love to go to this place again -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Could this have been the house? In the valley as opposed to on the road
    http://www.luggala.net/

View from road here
    http://www.visitwicklow.ie/attractions/images/lough_tay_main.jpg

That link doesn't work, but I can't remember any houses near the upper Lough Bray. There's a big fancy house on the shores of the lower one though.

looking at lough bray lower it looks like it a bit - maybe they knocked the pink house down and rebuilt that newish looking one you can see on street view . when you go past that house does that lake sink down a bit and the cliffs around it seem very high.

yeah alun i accually seen that 3 lakes place alright when i was looking on google maps - ah i guess im doomed never to find the place -- we had to get off the coach and walk past the house to the lake which only took a minute to get too . im nearly 100 perceent the house was pink because other wise it would not have stood out - id really love to go to this place again -
    In that case I think you may have walked down from what is known as Pier Gates, down a steep private tarmacced road. At the sharp bend on that road there's a really pretty group of small cottages, which are now white AFAIK, but could easily have been pink. There's also a large house at the bottom that's yellowy cream coloured if I'm not mistaken.

• Advertisement

Lough Bray lower at the start of military road & has a small stone house at the start of a short walk to lake google "lough bray lower" & go to street view at path to lake you won't see the lake but the hause may ring a bell!!

megafan wrote: »
    Lough Bray lower at the start of military road & has a small stone house at the start of a short walk to lake google "lough bray lower" & go to street view at path to lake you won't see the lake but the hause may ring a bell!!
    This place ?

http://goo.gl/maps/JsbEW

Could be it I guess, wouldn't really say it's close to Glendalough though :)

yeah that stone house im thinking could be a new structure where the old one once stood - i guess the only real way would be to take a drive up and see for myself - im sure if i seen the actual lake i would deffo remember. pity cos i was only up that way yesterday . also anyone know any good spots up that way that you can see the welsh hills on a clear day

rat race thats not it -- it wes more of a round shape with steep cliffs/hills around it but thanks for your help

You'll see the Welsh Hills on a clear day from most high points along the east coast, you don't need to get very high up. Bray Head, Killiney Hill, etc. would be fine. The best days for this are clear, crisp and cold days in the winter ... sunny days (ha!) aren't that good because of the haze.

looking at lough bray lower it looks like it a bit - maybe they knocked the pink house down and rebuilt that newish looking one you can see on street view . when you go past that house does that lake sink down a bit and the cliffs around it seem very high.

Yes It's surrounded on two sides by high sides is quite hidden from the road & the cottage mat have been "Done Up?" during the good times....

the cottage wasnt on the lake it was on the road beside the lake -- you had to walk past the cottage down behind it to get to the lake -- im thinking a drive up to lough bray will be in order soon -- alun thanks for ur help - the only days you would get me hill walking would be on a nice summer day so i prob wont ever see the welsh hills from ireland --

Have u seen wales from ireland yourself Alun

yeah that stone house im thinking could be a new structure where the old one once stood - i guess the only real way would be to take a drive up and see for myself - im sure if i seen the actual lake i would deffo remember. pity cos i was only up that way yesterday . also anyone know any good spots up that way that you can see the welsh hills on a clear day

There's plenty of pics online.

Or better yet, get Google Earth.

• Advertisement

Have u seen wales from ireland yourself Alun
    Yes, a good few times. The best was when we had the bad snow in the winter of 2010/2011. During a lull in the snow showers we walked up Kindlestown Hill near Greystones and had a fantastic view .. you could even make out the snow on the mountains.

wow --i thought it was a bit of an urban legend . just found this picture online http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelfoleyphotography/4419193937/ .. i think thats incentive enough to get me out in the cold ha ha .. thanks for all your help guys regarding the lake -- all your help was very much appriciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Sounds like the small cottage at the road beside Lough Bray. Used to be a tearooms back in the day.

loobylou wrote: »
    Sounds like the small cottage at the road beside Lough Bray. Used to be a tearooms back in the day.

That's set alarm bells ringing in my head when you said t rooms. Was there a sign that said it was a tea room. I would have been up there in 98 I'd say

Where would you park if your driving up to lough bray. Can you drive down that side road beside the house

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The tourist busses stop beside Lough Bray and get the clients to walk the few yards down to the lake - so I'd say that was it. Just park on the road near the cottage.

The view from the carpark just up the road is nice too - watch out for the the big hole in the road just at the carpark.
    http://goo.gl/maps/shWDu

hmmm wrote: »
    The tourist busses stop beside Lough Bray and get the clients to walk the few yards down to the lake - so I'd say that was it. Just park on the road near the cottage.

The view from the carpark just up the road is nice too - watch out for the the big hole in the road just at the carpark.
    http://goo.gl/maps/shWDu

Lovely... did I totally conjour up the mysterious pink house or does anyone remember it. I'm nearly 100% sure now its lough bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

That's set alarm bells ringing in my head when you said t rooms. Was there a sign that said it was a tea room. I would have been up there in 98 I'd say

There was a sign all right, that said though, I would have thought it was way earlier than 98.

A quick Google of 'tea rooms lough bray' revealed a document from Mountain Meitheal that refers to it as '(what was) McGuirk's Tea House.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Here's the original house I think
    http://digital.ucd.ie/view/ivrla:10515

The house itself was a tea room for a long time, it had a list of famous clientele (many Irish writers etc) - described in this book, which unfortunately I've loaned out so can't reference :)
    http://ashfieldpress.ie/view/?id=6

Advertisement