Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Restore contacts from a specific backup? via iCloud

• 07-08-2012 1:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I have a bit of a problem. Here's the background:

I had an iPad and iPhone that had synced contacts between them via iCloud.

While I was away recently my iPhone was stolen. During the few hours before I got the sim shut down and the phone blacklisted, the thief managed to delete my contacts and back it up to the cloud somehow. This then overwrote my contacts on my iPad also.

So, now I am looking for a way to get my previous contacts back.
    Since i know my iPad has not been backed up since prior to this time (due to space problems) I was hoping that the contacts would be within the last iPad backup?
    How can I extract these? Do I need to restore the whole thing?
    I might also have hard backups from before the days of the cloud that would have my contacts as well, is there software that can extract the contacts from one of these if I can locate it?

All advice welcome....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

If you have the backup on a pc you can get the contacts. I posted how to do it a few months ago. I'll try find the post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

When I went to 'restore from backup' just now, I was delighted to discover that here was older backups on the cloud. From before the theft.
    So, I restored the iPhone from that. Everything worked perfectly, but contacts were still the wrong ones (i.e. thiefs contacts)

How is this possible?

The only way I can see it is that the contacts are updated after the restore from the most recent one on the cloud? There must be a way around this??
    Help!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

That was one dumb thief. You could easily have tracked him down, even if you hadn't got Find My iPhone enabled.

Make sure you change your Apple ID password in case he's still using it with your account. Otherwise iCloud will continue to sync any changes.

I am assuming the thief sold on the iPhone pretty quickly.

What I only discovered the other day is that Blacklisting the phone does not stop my accounts use. For some reason I thought it actually meant the phone could no longer be used (it does, but only the phone capabilities, everything else still works).

Thankfully whoever had use of my account didn't do anything with it other than overwrite my contacts.... no purchasing of apps etc.

I have changed the password and also requested the phone be wiped through find my iPhone.

I did manage to retrieve my contacts, but only due to the fact that I had a hard backup of my iPhone on my old computer from before the days of the cloud.

Everyone beware. Cloud backups are not very useful for situations like this. They are iterative backups, meaning even if you can see 3 iPhone backups, the oldest will still contain the most recent contacts.
    e.g. I had a backup dated 28 Apr 2012. This backup still contained the contacts that the thief had updated on 9 May 2012.

Not really sure about the system, but I know I'm going to start backing up locally to my machine every now and again in order to get around this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement