Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tescos & sanitiser double whammy question!

Options
  • 07-08-2012 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

Hello folks,

I have not one, but two questions today. They're short and unrelated.

1. Which tescos stock home brew stuff?

And

2. When one makes up the cheap no rinse sanitising solution (vinegar & bleach in water), could one then fill a spray bottle with this solution and use it u til it runs out? Or to put it another way, will it stay effective when bottled over a prolonged period.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Well I was just up in drogheda so I checked the tesco extra while up there and can confirm that they don't stock anything. Tesco extra in balbriggan is also a negative.

So the only one I know of for definite is Tesco in naas, which was confirmed both by the fine members on here and my less fine wife (kidding).

Anyone any experience with others?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

1. I can confirm that the Tesco Extra in Clarehall DO NOT stock HB stuff. In fact, when I was in there about 3 weeks ago, the staff looked at me as if I had ten heads or something.

2. I've had to actually rinse my "no rinse" sanitiser. The smell of Bleach is quite strong so have rinsed the sanitised equipment in water after using the sanitiser. I use 30mls of each in 20 litres of water which I think is the right quantities...??...?? If you try the sanitser as a spray left me know how you get on cos I'd be interested in using it as it is far cheaper than buying other Sanitisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

was in tesco tullamore last weekend asked one of the manager guys did they stock homebrew equipment.... he said no but said naas and maynooth do

I had no idea kildare had such a drinking problem ;)

Well that answers that question really doesn't it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

lang wrote: »
    I use 30mls of each in 20 litres of water which I think is the right quantities...??...??

You are using 30 mls of vinegar as well as 30ml of thin bleach to 20L of water? Don't mix them neat either.

• Advertisement

Baz I know Naas Extra stock homebrewstuff. I was not aware Maynooth stocks them.

Yawns wrote: »
    You are using 30 mls of vinegar as well as 30ml of thin bleach to 20L of water? Don't mix them neat either.

That's the quantities I'm using. I have not mixed them neat. Have added one to the water, mixed well, and added the other. Again, mixed well. The problem ain't so much with quantities/mixing, it's more to do with the fact that it's a 'no rinse' sanitiser but yet I'm finding that I have to rinse equipment as the whiff of bleach is somewhat strong once I take equipment out of solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭daithi55

That's the quantities I'm using. I have not mixed them neat. Have added one to the water, mixed well, and added the other. Again, mixed well. The problem ain't so much with quantities/mixing, it's more to do with the fact that it's a 'no rinse' sanitiser but yet I'm finding that I have to rinse equipment as the whiff of bleach is somewhat strong once I take equipment out of solution.

are you using thin bleach thats not scented and not the thick stuff

daithi55 wrote: »
    are you using thin bleach thats not scented and not the thick stuff

Yup, am using the thin, non-scented, bleach. It's the 'EveryDay' Tesco brand. There is no 'scent' as such off it apart from the Chlorine smell which I find is slightly overpowering. Each addition is mixed very well into the water prior to adding the next. Each is measured to 30mls and added to 20L of water. Have to say I am surprised that such a small amount of bleach in such a large quantity of water could still smell Chlorine-like. Would have thought the Chlorine-like smell would be 'masked' cos of the quantities.

that smell that you are getting is normal and will do no harm to your brew. I know the smell you are talking about. Once you are doing it in the right quantities then you're fine and it's a no rinse sanitizer.

• Advertisement

that smell that you are getting is normal and will do harm to your brew. I know the smell you are talking about. Once you are doing it in the right quantities then you're fine and it's a no rinse sanitizer.

I take it you mean it will do NO harm?? From the stuff on the t'interweb I've read regarding the 'no rinse' sanitiser there should be no smell at all from the brew??

I take it you mean it will do NO harm?? From the stuff on the t'interweb I've read regarding the 'no rinse' sanitiser there should be no smell at all from the brew??

Sorry that should read no harm indeed. I will even edit that post to fix my stupid error. I've always gotten a smell afterwards using the no rinse sanitizer and had no trouble with the brew afterwards.

Sorry that should read no harm indeed. I will even edit that post to fix my stupid error. I've always gotten a smell afterwards using the no rinse sanitizer and had no trouble with the brew afterwards.

Hmmmmm, thanks for the clarification.....interesting that you have had no probs with it. Might have to give it a shot myself.

Yeah give it a try. From what I've read you could introduce a chance of infection by rinsing with tap water depending on the quality of the water you have. I know I'm not alone with the bleach & vinegar saitizer, I believe BeerNut uses it as his preference with no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Used Milton with my last brew and will probably use it again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I've never seen any HB in Maynooth, only Naas. Maynooth would be handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ratsathome

I use the bleach/vinegar solution as well without any problem.I know they are not long lasting(keeping it)maybe a day or two after then the PH change.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

syngindub wrote: »
    Used Milton with my last brew and will probably use it again
    Milton is a mixture of household bleach (sodium hypochlorite) and table salt (sodium chloride). It is weaker than normal bleach but many times the price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I bought a two litre bottle of tesco thin bleach for 49 cents..it does the trick very well.

And Tesco Clearwater doesnt sell homebrew either..no idea why,its certainly big enough:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

what are you guys using to clean the fermenter once you have bottled?

• Advertisement

Well I'm still just a noob but I just washed it with soapy water to make sure it was clean and all heavy dirt was gone and then soaked it in sanitising solution after that. Boom!

Edit for clarity: I use the cheap vinegar/bleach sanitiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Lars

syngindub wrote: »
    what are you guys using to clean the fermenter once you have bottled?

Warm water and elbowgrease.

The DIY sanitiser doesnt last more than a couple of days according to the guys on HBT, you need to make it up fresh when you want it...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Baz_ wrote: »
    I just washed it with soapy water
    You'll probably be fine, but in general it's a bad idea to let anything soapy near a beer vessel: fermenter or bottle. Residual soap can kill head retention.

Warm water and elbow grease does me. Sometimes a washing up sponge, but only the spongey side: anything even slightly abrasive can scratch the plastic leaving a bacteria trap.

BeerNut wrote: »
    You'll probably be fine, but in general it's a bad idea to let anything soapy near a beer vessel: fermenter or bottle. Residual soap can kill head retention.

Warm water and elbow grease does me. Sometimes a washing up sponge, but only the spongey side: anything even slightly abrasive can scratch the plastic leaving a bacteria trap.

Well luckily I prefaced my comment with the fact I'm noob, but I did not know that. I do use a soft cloth though in order to avoid scratches.

So to clarify you'rejust meant to pour hot water in clean as best you can and then into sanitiser. No fairy?

Yes. It's not like cleaning a frying pan: the gunge is soft and rubs off easily.

Hopefully I got away with it. Have a stout on now and the fermentation seemed way more vigorous (bigger fluffier krausen), don't know if that's any indication at all, but in my defense I was a bit cod when rinsing soap off.

I shall not use it again, however. And every day is still a school day. Cheers beernut.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the gunge is soft and rubs off easily.
    and if the dirt did dry & go hard you should leave it steep, submerged with just water for a few days and then it should come off.

rubadub wrote: »
    and if the dirt did dry & go hard you should leave it steep, submerged with just water for a few days and then it should come off.
    And use the time to consider carefully if, as someone who doesn't clean things immediately after use, homebrewing is really the hobby for you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

And use the time to consider carefully if, as someone who doesn't clean things immediately after use, homebrewing is really the hobby for you :P
    Depends on how much gear has accumulated over the years, and therefore the need to clean immediately after use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 richiculous

The Mulk wrote: »
    I've never seen any HB in Maynooth, only Naas. Maynooth would be handy!

Tesco Maynooth introduced a hombrew section last week, there wasn't any homebrew section before that.

Advertisement