Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish ways and means

• 07-08-2012 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Interesting stuff here.
    Are we the Irish the only people who when crossing on a pedestrian crossing give a thank you wave to the car that stopped.
    The only nation who when using a travelator / escalator stand and take up the whole width of it blocking the people who maybe in a genuine hurry. I’v seen in airports mainly Irish people getting on the travelator and just standing in the middle or two a breast when it would be quicker walking beside it.
    The only people who, while it rains most days of the year get caught out without a brolly and get drenched to the bone.
    Cant think of any more myself but fell free to continue

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Its not a "travelator" or some other gimmick american marketing term.

It's a conveyor belt for people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Interesting stuff here.
    Are we the Irish the only people who when crossing on a pedestrian crossing give a thank you wave to the car that stopped.
    The only nation who when using a travelator / escalator stand and take up the whole width of it blocking the people who maybe in a genuine hurry. I’v seen in airports mainly Irish people getting on the travelator and just standing in the middle or two a breast when it would be quicker walking beside it.
    The only people who, while it rains most days of the year get caught out without a brolly and get drenched to the bone.
    Cant think of any more myself but fell free to continue
    No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

That escalator stuff drives me mad. So many escalators in this country move at a far slower pace than walking too, so why not go to the effort of bipedal motion?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

a travelator is the thing from gladiators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Escalator.

• Advertisement

Umaro wrote: »
    That escalator stuff drives me mad. So many escalators in this country move at a far slower pace than walking too, so why not go to the effort of bipedal motion?

They're trying to reduce wear & tear while saving precious milliwatts

Interesting stuff here.

i don't do that :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

The nation who constantly says "It'll be grand", when clearly it won't be!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Where groups of middle-aged women gather at the entrance of a supermarket blocking it with their trollies and cluck away to each other while looking disgusted when someone tries to squeeze past their ignorant asses.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

Most drivers keep going when they see you at a pedestrian crossing, thanking the one person with manners to stop is good, might encourage them to do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

bluewolf wrote: »

Me neither. I can sometimes be seen giving hand signals to drivers who don't stop though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Interesting Irish people getting on the travelator and just standing in the middle or two a breast when it would be quicker walking beside it.

Travelators are for fcuking walking on!

I HATE people who stand on them. And they don't seem to realise how little sense it makes when they're going so slow! :mad: IDIOTS!

The only nation who when using a travelator / escalator stand and take up the whole width of it blocking the people who maybe in a genuine hurry.
    Nope - I've seen it happen in many many different airports with many many different people.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

There is never any sign at escalators in Ireland to ask people where to stand so people stand anywhere .On the London Underground there is always one .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Salute people with a question without getting an answer.

"How's it going?"

Then walk on their merry way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Interesting stuff here.

I have never ever seen anyone do this anywhere in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Making a cup of tea and leaving the teabag on a saucer/teabag saucer (?) on the counter. Put it in the Goddamn bin! it's 5 feet away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Irish people taking the piss out of each other? Fine.

Foreigners taking the piss out of us? Death threats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9 DanInRealTime

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Making a cup of tea and leaving the teabag on a saucer/teabag saucer (?) on the counter. Put it in the Goddamn bin! it's 5 feet away!

My American wife does that, whereas it actually drives me demented!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Bad Panda wrote: »

My bin is about 3 ft away from the tea making area but I still always throw the teabag in the sink. Force of habit! It makes my mother want to cry when she comes to visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

FatherLen wrote: »
    a travelator is the thing from gladiators.

Is it not a homicidal robotic knacker traveller?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

The only country where ignorant parents show a complete lack of consideration for other people by allowing their offspring to bring any of the following into a supermarket or shopping centre:

Bicycle
    Dolls pram
    Roller blades/Roller skates/Wheelies
    Football
    Basketball
    Hurley and ball.

Its bloody ridiculous that many parents allow their kids to do this. I can't understand Management allowing it, its annoying and dangerous.:mad:

The only country where ignorant parents show a complete lack of consideration for other people by allowing their offspring to bring any of the following into a supermarket or shopping centre:

Bicycle
    Dolls pram
    Roller blades/Roller skates/Wheelies
    Football
    Basketball
    Hurley and ball.

Its bloody ridiculous that many parents allow their kids to do this. I can't understand Management allowing it, its annoying and dangerous.:mad:

Terrible Joe. People in general shouldn't be allowed to do things. I'm content with sitting at home listening to the radio and complaining and everyone else should be the same way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Interesting stuff here.

I do that, and when I moved to Germany I continued to do it. But not for long, due to the stern, confused looks I was getting from Gunthers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

The only place in the world were you can say "ah will you shut fúcking up ye gobshíte" and no offense will be taken.

That and despite the protests of people telling me to stop when I tell them a story, I continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

I do that, and when I moved to Germany I continued to do it. But not for long, due to the stern, confused looks I was getting from Gunthers.

It really freaked out the bus driver in Geneva when ten Irish lads in row thanked him while getting off the bus...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

foxyboxer wrote: »

"How's it going?"

Yeah ive noticed that - or answering "How's it going?" with "How's it going?"

Answering a question with a question and neither party actually giving a damn about how the other is "going"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

A lot of people do though.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I have never ever seen anyone do this anywhere in the world.

Seriously, it's very common in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭CavanCrew

I like our habits, what's the rush?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

foxyboxer wrote: »

"How's it going?"

Say 'salute' and not mean this :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Saying thanks to the bus driver might be one. I've seen the odd person do it in London but never really on the continent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

RATM wrote: »
    Saying thanks to the bus driver might be one. I've seen the odd person do it in London but never really on the continent.

Yeah, I did this once in the Middle East. He thought I was hitting on him :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

.........Are we the Irish the only people who when crossing on a pedestrian crossing give a thank you wave to the car that stopped...............

No but I reckon we are the only ones who cross 10m up the street from the pedestrian crossing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

In Australia they all shout "Thanks driver" when getting off a bus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

And how many times do you hear "I'm only having the one" in pubs in Ireland.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

What exactly are you confused about -the fact that other people might actually do things that you don't?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Interesting stuff here.

It's maybe more a wave of relief that they didn't plough into you but people do that here (France) all the time. I'd consider it rude not to and always remind my kids to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Thanking and praising ignorant bartenders when you hand over five euro for a glass of slop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Seriously, it's very common in Ireland.

I've seen people acknowledge when a car stops to let them cross but I have never seen it at a pedestrian crossing.

• Advertisement

Interesting stuff here.

I do that, the reason I do it is probably the fact that I very rarely cross at actual pedestrian crossings and usually anywhere that's handy so would always thank someone letting me cross, then I just do it out of habit at an actual pedestrian crossing.

IrishAm wrote: »
    Thanking and praising ignorant bartenders when you hand over five euro for a glass of slop.

Or thanking the person behind the bar on minimum wage, working with drunk people all night. Seriously what's wrong with manners, have we all gone nuts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The escalator thing is pretty annoying alright. Use to work in a place that had an escalator. A real pain in the balls when people slow you down when you've got sh!t to do.

Another one. Clapping when the plane lands..what's up with that!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Casillas wrote: »
    Or thanking the person behind the bar on minimum wage, working with drunk people all night. Seriously what's wrong with manners, have we all gone nuts?

I tip a euro a drink regardless. It would be nice to be greeted with a smile instead of a grunt.

That said, there are still some excellent bartenders in Ireland. But they are a dying breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I think it's a nice thing to do, I get offended if people don't.

The same goes if you let a car out ahead of you and they wave, just manners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Wompa1 wrote: »

At least none of them will be there to complain when the pilot makes a right b0llox of it.

Self loathing

Being deeply ashamed over the actions of a select few gobsh1tes abroad who happen to be Irish

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I've seen people acknowledge when a car stops to let them cross but I have never seen it at a pedestrian crossing.

Oh, I get you now. I mean zebra crossings more than the crossings at traffic lights. Zebra crossings are bit more touch and go as to whether a motorist will stop. I once got yelled at by a motorist for crossing as a zebra crossing, as apparently I didn't have right-of-way.

IrishAm wrote: »
    I tip a euro a drink regardless. It would be nice to be greeted with a smile instead of a grunt.

That said, there are still some excellent bartenders in Ireland. But they are a dying breed.

Fair enough ;)

Wompa1 wrote: »

Gawd, this is hackneyed. I have NEVER seen this happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement