Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish ways and means

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Parking in the middle of the road just for a wee chat with yer' mate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Midnight mass is not at midnight, more like 7pm

Never stop running down this country and its people but if a foreigner dares to criticize Ireland then people go mad

Apply for your passport shortly before you go on holidays and then cry to Joe Duffy when suprise, suprise, there is a summer backlog. The Brits are guilty of this too. Procrastination is a terrible thing

You are a football fan and you say your flag is green, white and gold??

Explain to a French person that you take your car for a spin. You say spin, they think spin

There will be three council workers at every pothole, one lad working and another two leaning on their shovels talking ****e and doing nothing, lazy feckers

And best of all: fail your driving test and drive home :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

eth0 wrote: »
    Terrible Joe. People in general shouldn't be allowed to do things. I'm content with sitting at home listening to the radio and complaining and everyone else should be the same way

I don't listen to the radio, that's a terrible accusation to make.

If people are going to allow their kids to bring those things into a supermarket well then they shouldn't be surprised if their little darlings getting ploughed down with a trolley, perhaps we could turn it into an Olympic sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Rasheed wrote: »
    I think it's a nice thing to do, I get offended if people don't.

The same goes if you let a car out ahead of you and they wave, just manners.

If it's a pedestrian crossing you get offended if every single pedestrian using that crossing doesn't salute you?

Good luck taking a drive and not being offended so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Interesting stuff here.
    Are we the Irish the only people who when crossing on a pedestrian crossing give a thank you wave to the car that stopped.

I do it all the time. Especially considering most drivers don't stop.
    crapmanjoe wrote: »
    Yeah ive noticed that - or answering "How's it going?" with "How's it going?"

Answering a question with a question and neither party actually giving a damn about how the other is "going"

I remember seeing on QI that the correct manner to reply to the question "How are you?" is to reply with "How are you?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Travelators are for fcuking walking on!

I HATE people who stand on them. And they don't seem to realise how little sense it makes when they're going so slow! :mad: IDIOTS!

i like to run on travelators, it makes me feel like im a really fast sprinter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Real Life wrote: »
    Bad Panda wrote: »
    Travelators are for fcuking walking on! I HATE people who stand on them. And they don't seem to realise how little sense it makes when they're going so slow! :mad: IDIOTS!
    i like to run on travelators, it makes me feel like im a really fast sprinter.
    Rocky music playing in my head now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    If it's a pedestrian crossing you get offended if every single pedestrian using that crossing doesn't salute you?

Was just reading your other post, I thought it was about a zebra crossing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Midnight mass is not at midnight, more like 7pm

Never stop running down this country and its people but if a foreigner dares to criticize Ireland then people go mad

Apply for your passport shortly before you go on holidays and then cry to Joe Duffy when suprise, suprise, there is a summer backlog. The Brits are guilty of this too. Procrastination is a terrible thing

You are a football fan and you say your flag is green, white and gold??

Explain to a French person that you take your car for a spin. You say spin, they think spin

There will be three council workers at every pothole, one lad working and another two leaning on their shovels talking ****e and doing nothing, lazy feckers

And best of all: fail your driving test and drive home :D

Your local priest must be a lazy bollix so, for me midnight mass is always at midnight.

If you go to another country and start spouting off about the faults with that country do its citizens say "thank you kind sir for your constructive criticism, we'll try and sort that out for you?"

The lazy feckers 'fixing' the road are now demanding you pay a house ownership tax so they can keep that job.

With our way of insuring cars that ties a particular driver to a particular car the drive home from your failed test is the only real option.
    I don't listen to the radio, that's a terrible accusation to make.

If people are going to allow their kids to bring those things into a supermarket well then they shouldn't be surprised if their little darlings getting ploughed down with a trolley, perhaps we could turn it into an Olympic sport.

Any reasonable parent would expect them to get ploughed down a few times first, but then they'll recover and get better at trolley-dodging. but they'll never get good without valuable real life 'getting ploughed down' experience

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

AnonoBoy wrote: »

They probably mean the same as me:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80112973&postcount=49

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

In Ireland, 'Yes' means 'Yes', and 'No' means 'Yes, but I don't want to seem greedy, so ask me again'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I always wave thanks at the pedestrian crossing when a driver stops. I feel bad if I don't. I always say thanks to bus drivers too! On the city bus in Limerick I notice the majority say thanks to the bus driver when they're dropped off at the university. I don't think it's unique in any way, just manners. I've got one, not waiting for the 'green man' before crossing at lights! :o

When my brother was in Amsterdam they found it funny when he used to reply 'Not too bad' when they'd ask him how he was, as that seemed like such a negative response even though everyone here says it without thinking! With regard to the tea bag situation, I always put it on the tea bad saucer, mainly because our food bin is outside. If you don't want me to do that then don't leave a saucer there. :pac: But I can't stand to see people throwing them into the sink, that's not on! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

When driving, deciding whether you're going to let someone into the lane by looking at the county on their number plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Hating de Brits/English while wearing a Man United/Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea jersey...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

bluewolf wrote: »
    i don't do that :confused:

I do.....I'm thankful to have survived as some motorists round these here parts never look as if they are actually going to stop at a pedestrian crossing

I am rewarding them for doing the right thing by being friendly.....I'm hoping to spread some looooooove

+ I like to brake at the last minute at pedestrian crossings just to first make the pedestrians wary and then grateful when I do actually obey the rules of the road

• Advertisement
Advertisement