Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another HTPC Build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You might as well just go for the celeron. I suppose the standard heatsink will fit in there? A 120W CPU would be well more than enough but it's probably not of great quality. Hardwareversand sell a few SFX PSUs if you choose a case that supports them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Didn't think of the heat sink! Thanks for catching that one - I don't suppose you could recommend a low profile one please? :)

What about this case?

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/Mini/50870/Chieftec+FI-01B%2C+200W+TFX%2C+Mini-ITX.article

200W PSU seems a bit safer too - although I realise it will be pants. Anyway to check if it will take 240V?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Looking at building something very similar for a mate of mine, here what I'm thinking of going with.

Item|Price
    Shuttle XPC SH61R4|€173.61
    Intel Pentium G630T Box, LGA1155|€67.87
    8GB-Kit Corsair ValueSelect PC3-10667U CL9|€39.24
    LiteOn iHES112-115 bulk Blu-Ray/DVD-RW|€49.32
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 3000GB, SATA 6Gb/s|€148.04
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€497.07

The Pentium G630T uses about half the power of the Celeron G530 and therefore runs a lot cooler/quieter and is about the same speed. If you plan on leaving the HTPC on most of the time downloading torrents and the like your will save yourself money on electricity in the long run.

I would not be confident in the case you choose.

I'm only going by looks, and I'm just thinking that that case looks small. So it might only be intended for those with passive heatsinks. You'll have to check the measurements but you might be better of with a slightly bigger case... or you could get a Zacate system like one with the E350 CPU. It would be a bit weaker than the celeron but enough for HD videos and should be very good for power consumptions. You might need the extra power if you intend to record, play and download at the same time though.
    I got a low profile Scythe heatsink a while ago.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/Intel+AMD/49143/Scythe+Kozuti%2C+für+alle+Sockel+geeignet.article
    Good heatsink alright, but it would eat up one of the RAM slots there. Still, you probably wouldn't notice much difference at all if you bought a single 4GB RAM stick.

Thanks - its too tall though :(

I'd be wary of that 'cuda can be noisy.

@Monotype - just measured a 1155 cooler its 60mm so I recon there's not a chance it'll go in that case.

This is as ugly as sin but I quite like that it will take a full sized optical.

• Advertisement

How about this?

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/Intel/60468/Shuttle+XPC+XH61.article

http://us.shuttle.com/barebone/Models/XH61.html

It's only 90W mind you, but it should be good with the 630T.

Yeah, I wasn't really saying that it would fit in, more if you were just look at them in general. I'm not sure you can fit anyone in there apart from passive ones.

There's also the elementq. I think TeaBag has this, so he could give you a review.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/Mini/31401/Thermaltake+Element+Q%2C+mini-ITX%2C+200W-Netzteil.article

Any idea if that has an optical out and whether it will take a full sized heat sink?

Ahhh! VESA mountable nice - forgot about that option! Typical no VESA mount!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

The Pentium G630T uses about half the power of the Celeron G530 and therefore runs a lot cooler/quieter and is about the same speed.

not true mate.

its got half the tdp yes, but in actual load AND idle usage, there is only a watt or 2 difference.

scroll to the bottom of this to see the power usage:

www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/407?vs=406

that's the g620 vs g620T.

there is really no reason to buy the T, unless you like a slow version of the 620 ;)

for the intended purpose, a celeron should be fine.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    not true mate.

its got half the tdp yes, but in actual load AND idle usage, there is only a watt or 2 difference.

scroll to the bottom of this to see the power usage:

www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/407?vs=406

that's the g620 vs g620T.

there is really no reason to buy the T, unless you like a slow version of the 620 ;)

for the intended purpose, a celeron should be fine.

Interesting, thanks.

• Advertisement

Monotype wrote: »
    Yeah, I wasn't really saying that it would fit in, more if you were just look at them in general. I'm not sure you can fit anyone in there apart from passive ones.

There's also the elementq. I think TeaBag has this, so he could give you a review.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/Mini/31401/Thermaltake+Element+Q%2C+mini-ITX%2C+200W-Netzteil.article
    the elementQ is a fine case, and will also fit a standard 1155 cooler (just) I'd rate it as the best of the bunch.

only downside is that the psu fan is far from silent. you wouldn't hear it in a film or anything, but if you've nothing on and no noise in the room you'll hear it. louder than the stock heatsink anyway. that said I'm the only one who complains about it so I could just be picky :o

I over look the Quays near Heuston - there's always some background noise! :D

Nice one think I'll go for that one so - nothing like a recommendation! Will that case take full sized (height) PCIe cards - looks like it might.

Does anyone know if its possible to get a remote that would work with Netflix and BBC iplayer - I'm going to be using a cheap microsoft KB and mouse to start off with but I have a feeling the wife will get moany about that quite quickly.

I over look the Quays near Heuston - there's always some background noise! :D

Nice one think I'll go for that one so - nothing like a recommendation! Will that case take full sized (height) PCIe cards - looks like it might.

Does anyone know if its possible to get a remote that would work with Netflix and BBC iplayer - I'm going to be using a cheap microsoft KB and mouse to start off with but I have a feeling the wife will get moany about that quite quickly.
    it'll take full size yea.

www.dealextreme.com/p/handheld-rechargeable-2-4g-mini-wireless-keyboard-with-trackpad-and-red-laser-35354

or alternatively, an Android phone :D

Sexy little remote that!

The build is gonna be

Item|Price
    4GB-Kit G-Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€19.94
    ASRock H61M-ITX, Sockel 1155, ITX|€64.94
    Intel Celeron G540 Box, LGA1155|€39.19
    Thermaltake Element Q, mini-ITX, 200W-Netzteil|€53.49
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€196.55

+ Corsair P64 SSD + Hitachi UltraStar 1TB + DVD-RW + Windows7 Home all of which I have.

+ that remote

The TV Card I'll buy locally if we ever decide to get one - at the moment I think I'll avoid the license fee as the TV doesn't pick up an Irish signal (I think) - great it takes full sized cards.

One question - if I stick a BD drive in this will it play in hi-def or will I run into HDCP (or what ever its called) issues.

I'm guessing the codec on that board will output 5.1 for my ghetto (€100) surround-sound system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

Sexy little remote that!

The build is gonna be

Item|Price
    4GB-Kit G-Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€19.94
    ASRock H61M-ITX, Sockel 1155, ITX|€64.94
    Intel Celeron G540 Box, LGA1155|€39.19
    Thermaltake Element Q, mini-ITX, 200W-Netzteil|€53.49
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€196.55

+ Corsair P64 SSD + Hitachi UltraStar 1TB + DVD-RW + Windows7 Home all of which I have.

+ that remote

The TV Card I'll buy locally if we ever decide to get one - at the moment I think I'll avoid the license fee as the TV doesn't pick up an Irish signal (I think) - great it takes full sized cards.

One question - if I stick a BD drive in this will it play in hi-def or will I run into HDCP (or what ever its called) issues.

I'm guessing the codec on that board will output 5.1 for my ghetto (€100) surround-sound system?
    If you have a TV, whether it can pick up an Irish signal or not means that you need a license, it's for the equipment, not the signal :eek:

Its for the receiver technically, which it does have so you're right - although to be honest I just dingy um anyways :D

I'll see if my argument holds up in the District Court - I doubt it will lol!

Ah b*gg** the ASRock H61M-ITX doesn;t look like it supports Windows 8. I know this is a guess but do you reckon it will?

Where did you read that it doesn't support Windows 8? Did you see that it specifically doesn't support it or Windows 8 just isn't listed?

IMO, get this mouse instead:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-4ghz-portable-handheld-wireless-keyboard-with-mouse-usb-receiver-black-3xaaa-94535?item=79

I think Serephucus recommended it to me so I got it. Basically an an air mouse - i.e., think of wii remote. Quite handy for HTPC.

Also, if the PSU isn't the best there's Bequiet SFX PSUs on there. I got one a while ago and it's pretty much silent at loads like that. There seems to a significant power draw when it's completely off going by a power meter so I'll have to look into that.

Its for the receiver technically, which it does have so you're right - although to be honest I just dingy um anyways :D

I'll see if my argument holds up in the District Court - I doubt it will lol!

Ah b*gg** the ASRock H61M-ITX doesn;t look like it supports Windows 8. I know this is a guess but do you reckon it will?
    I highly doubt it won't work on windows8. not that it would bother me in any way. I tried it the other day and its absolute rubbish. it would be fine without metro, but that thing is retarded.

that mouse looks good mono, better than the rii.

neither of them stack up to how good an Android phone works though.

Its just not listed - canceled and am ordering the air mouse - that thing look cool! Thanks for the recommendation though Tea_bad the other one looked ace too.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

Here's another option for a remote: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004V2T7F2/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?tag=fczbkkcom-21

I've been using it for the last 2 months and it's been working great. it's surprising easy to type on, great range etc.

• Advertisement

If windows 8 is not listed then there's nothing to worry about. Drivers should be much the same as 7 and Vista. I actually have two remotes for the HTPC. The airmouse is ideal for using as a normal mouse but I just got a media centre remote since I've been using XBMC for films and tv, which is amazing software if you're trying to handle a large library of stuff. Probably not the best choice of software if you want tv integrated.

I'll give them their due - paid late yesterday afternoon (thanks to a AIB balls up) was shipped today.

My new HTPC is winging its way to me - I'll post pics etc when I've finished my exams and get chance to build it.

Bits have just left Barking (Kudos for them leaving at 10:30 at night but WTF where they doing there since 4:30pm?!)

Cant wait for them to arrive! Many pics I promise! (Even if you dont want them muhahahahaha)

Woot it's all arrived - I'm in the middle of exams so I'll post more on Friday inc pics etc but bloody hell mITX boards are tiny!

Okay she's alive! Lots of pics to bore you with but first - How do you fix over scan in Intel HD2000 graphics? Please tell me you can.

Love the way the ASRock splash screen says "Sata problem fixed!"

Answer - switch it off on the telly! :D

I'm about to place my order for my HTPC and I'm not sure whether it's worth getting a aftermarket CPU cooler. I want it to be completely silent, can you hear the stock heatsink fan at all?

My HTPC sounds like a helicopter - I'm not sure if its the CPU or PSU cooler. I need to investigate a bit further.

stock will never be silent, but it'll likely not be the loudest component in your rig. are you going with the elementQ case? the psu fan on that will be louder.

don't forget to turn down the fans in the bios. on my asrock board, I set the CPU fan on level 1 and temp to 55°C. that way the fan won't spool up till the CPU hits that, which it seldom does.

I think its the PSU fan - do you get this issue TB?

• Advertisement

I already own a Antec Fusion so I will be reusing that. Here's what I've put together.

Item|Price
    Intel Celeron G540 Box, LGA1155|€39.80
    MSI B75MA-P45, Intel B75, mATX, DDR3|€60.93
    8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800U CL9|€41.37
    be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER BQT E9-400W 80+Gold|€62.04
    2 x be quiet! Shadow Wings SW1 120mm Low-Speed|€21.58
    be quiet! Shadow Rock Topflow SR1|€41.69
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€286.40

I decided to replace the two existing case fans as they've seen constant use for 5 years and are starting to make more noise. I'm also reusing a Crucial C300 128GB SSD. Hopefully it will be completely silent.

Advertisement