Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sick troll gets his comeuppance on Facebook!

• 07-08-2012 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

I have seen the page 'dead baby jokes' on facebook popping up on my news feed from time to time, with people requesting likes to get it shut down.

However, one person seems to have taken it to a new level.

This person has taken a screen shot of one individuals very abusive and disgusting references to babys, and is emailing the persons university, workplace, and his local poilce station with the comments he made.

Has the person reporting them gone too far?

Judge for yourself.

http://www.facebook.com/GetDeadBabyJokesPageBanned/posts/433027750082749

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

The person reporting them is a cnut. No other word for them, they are jokes, simple as that. In bad taste, yes, probably not for facebook, but it being their own facebook they can post what they like if their friends don't like it, delete them?

The person emailing everyone is a complete and utter numpty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Bastard got me kicked out of uni and fired from KFC over a few jokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Is it Ben Hay who posted the sick stuff or is he the guy who called him out on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

The person reporting them is a cnut. No other word for them, they are jokes, simple as that. In bad taste, yes, probably not for facebook, but it being their own facebook they can post what they like if their friends don't like it, delete them?

Dunno Mini.

I mean, he went on the page named 'petition to get the dead baby joke page banned'

My thoughts are, if you're going to make as sick and degrading comments on a facebook page that protests about the jokes , if you think its ok to do it, without hiding behind some kind of alias, and bearing in mind its up there for all the world to see, whats the problem with some folk being 'notified' about it?

Might, at the very least, make them rethink what they post on an open to the public site.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

If only we could stifle the speech of everyone that offends, it would be a silent world.

Felt like being a bit poetic with my reply ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

If you're that stupid to make those kind of jokes and have your personal information available at the same time you deserve everything you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

as long as they're not actually killing babies what is the problem? Why don't westboro baptist church get in the trouble this person will get in?

The jokes are just proving that people get offended far too easily. It's a joke, fcuk off and hide their post on facebook if you wish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ghandee wrote: »

Yes they have.

Unless they're harrassing people by sending them the jokes after the death of a baby then all they're doing is having terrible taste in jokes about a horrible subject.

If people don't like it then they should stay away from the group.

They're not inciting hatred, they're just being weirdos.

People should be allowed to be weirdos without someone deciding to be the moral guardian of the internet and telling their boss on them.

HOWEVER.... if you're going to post stuff like that around then it'd be smarter not to use your real name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I wonder if he'd stand up in a packed pub and declare the he would "love to jam his cock in a baby" ?????

woodoo wrote: »
    Is it Ben Hay who posted the sick stuff or is he the guy who called him out on it.

Ben Hay is the guy about to rat him out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

The over reaction to that page is ridiculous. Its not my cup of tea but they are only jokes. People going out of their way to be offended.

AnonoBoy wrote: »

HOWEVER.... if you're going to post stuff like that around then it'd be smarter not to use your real name.

My sentiments exactly ^^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

it seems like the guy doing the reporting has chosen to be offended by something that was not directed at him. yes the jokes are in bad taste but get off the high horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

They are jokes. Not to everyone's taste, but at the end of the day, just a joke. If someone doesn't like it, then don't look at it. Move on. Emailing people's work/college etc could have serious consequences, just because somebody (complete stranger) has a difference of opinions.

Even on boards, there is a section where 'alternative humour' is shared. Should all members of this forum be reported??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

meh, live by the sword, die by the sword.

People need to cop on to the fact that if you bother to spout bile in a public forum, it's there for all to see. I've no sympathy for the troll. If he's dumb enough to be posting it on facebook...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Ah, another case of how posting things like this on a social networking site and leaving a trail of all your personal information can land you in trouble.

On a side-note, people who get overly offended over dead baby jokes need to get a grip. They're crap jokes and by kicking up such a stink about them it gives numptys more attention thinking they've struck comedy / troll gold.

I'm only becoming aware of this whole controversy around the page in the past few days.

I saw people saying, "This page is a disgrace, especially since Gary Barlow just lost his baby."

Why does Gary Barlow's loss have any more signifigance than any other person's loss? This person clearly thought it does. I was more offended by that comment than any of the sh*te jokes to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

There's a difference between making a dead baby joke and creating a fcuking facebook page dedicated to them.

You'll inevitably reach people (a lot of people) personally affected by it.

Is a page dedicated to rape jokes OK too? I wouldn't think so. And rightly so - again difference between making a joke with your mates and going out of your way to offend people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Yes the jokes arent in the best taste, however if people dont like them then dont read them, you have thousands of people bombarding that page with comments making it one of the more popular pages on Facebook which only publicises it more.

On the info page of the facebook page it states that people should not read the page if they are easily offended or if they think they may be offended by the jokes yet people read them, take offence and talk about it for hours.

If the person reporting them had a problem they should report it to Facebook and leave it at that, oh and they should stop reading the page too obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

If you wouldnt get up in front of a room full of people you may know or dont know and tell dead baby jokes, then dont do it on facebook... simple really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

It's not nice, but your man is a troll as stated, he posted the "jokes" to get a reaction and boy is he getting one. If people had paid no attention then it would have been one or two of these jokes and he would have gotten bored and moved on to something else. Trolls love attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

The only loser in this type of situation is the human race

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Casillas

donalg1 wrote: »
    Yes the jokes arent in the best taste, however if people dont like them then dont read them, you have thousands of people bombarding that page with comments making it one of the more popular pages on Facebook which only publicises it more.

On the info page of the facebook page it states that people should not read the page if they are easily offended or if they think they may be offended by the jokes yet people read them, take offence and talk about it for hours.

If the person reporting them had a problem they should report it to Facebook and leave it at that, oh and they should stop reading the page too obviously.

Logic, can't beat it, unless of course a lot of illogical people who are complaining have never read the page, much like those who wanted GTA banned never played it.

davet82 wrote: »
    If you wouldnt get up in front of a room full of people you may know or dont know and tell dead baby jokes, then dont do it on facebook... simple really.

There's lots of people who would happily do that though. Should they not be allowed to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

For people supporting the person who emailed the university etc, would you also support this situation:

Person X sends a letter in to the Opinions page of the Irish Times and it gets published. It's on a controversial topic, e.g. abortion, or prostitution, and X states their position. Person Y reads the Irish Times and takes great offence. Y emails X's employers/university/family/friends, drawing a huge amount of attention to X in their personal life, even though most people would never have even seen the paper without Y's direct intervention. X's position causes rifts in a number of his relationships

Is what Y did ok?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

foxyboxer wrote: »
    I wonder if he'd stand up in a packed pub and declare the he would "love to jam his cock in a baby" ?????

Probably not, but it's still a joke, it's something you make a conscious choice to be offended by and not ignore.

I'm a big boy, if someone that says something that offends me in real life, I'll either ignore them or ask them to stop saying it. If it's on the internet I simply ignore all of it.

In real life though, if someone says something tells me a racist joke, I either laugh or ignore, I don't report to their employer that they are a racist.

In a similar vein, if someone tells a sick joke about a dead baby, I'll laugh or ignore, I don't feel the need to tell everyone in the world about it. The internet gives people a platform that some people just should never have, including the illiterate fool who reported the Sam Emmet guy. That person is loving the attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

donalg1 wrote: »
    ...if people dont like them then dont read them...
    Ah yeah, the "look the other way defense", thats never been problematic! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Nah.. It's aimed at one sick person in specific. The guy targeted said he wanted to "Stick his c##k in a dead child" and rape another child of different ethnicity..

Where's the punch line? I for one hope he gets arrested, fired and kicked out of his University for being such a waste of air.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    It's not nice, but your man is a troll as stated, he posted the "jokes" to get a reaction and boy is he getting one. If people had paid no attention then it would have been one or two of these jokes and he would have gotten bored and moved on to something else. Trolls love attention.

He wont love the attention thats in the post for him, thats for sure.

I can cope with the dead baby jokes, in fact, I havenbt even visited the page (nor have any intention of doing so)

But if you're going to boast aboutcommitting a gross act of pedophilia on a public form, with your name, university, workplace on full view to the whole world.......

Be prepared for what may lie in store.

Thats all I think aboiut the whole episode tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,198 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

are these the same jokes that we've all heard in the school playground as kids, and if so what's the big deal? To be honest as a father of one, I have no interest anymore, and the nature of parenting means you actually squirm at such humour, so i just don't read it! It seems the people trying to ban the page are a little obsessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

What planet are you on?

Are you really defending someone that makes 'jokes' about dead children and raping babies?

So as long as I call it a joke I can be a Nazi or Al-Qaeda? I can incite hatred, offend at will and be anonymous and untouchable?

---> Moral Compass

28064212 wrote: »
    For people supporting the person who emailed the university etc, would you also support this situation:

Person X sends a letter in to the Opinions page of the Irish Times and it gets published. It's on a controversial topic, e.g. abortion, or prostitution, and X states their position. Person Y reads the Irish Times and takes great offence. Y emails X's employers/university/family/friends, drawing a huge amount of attention to X in their personal life, even though most people would never have even seen the paper without Y's direct intervention. X's position causes rifts in a number of his relationships

Is what Y did ok?

Hardly the same!!

Sykk wrote: »
    Nah.. It's aimed at one sick person in specific. The guy targeted said he wanted to "Stick his c##k in a dead child" and rape another child of different ethnicity..

Where's the punch line? I for one hope he gets arrested, fired and kicked out of his University for being such a waste of air.

I'm sure actual paedophiles go around using their own names to say such things. I'm sure this is his way of seducing some children.

What exactly should he get arrested and fired and expelled for? Being a troll? Having a sense of humour that isn't in line with yours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,198 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

davet82 wrote: »
    in fairness frankie boyle has said worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Hardly the same!!
    Why? How is it any different? Because having a controversial opinion is different to a controversial joke? It's not

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

Voltaire said it best, "I abhor what you say but I will defend to my death your right to say it."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    There's lots of people who would happily do that though. Should they not be allowed to?

some people get well paid to do it too! (comedians)

its just advice, that facebook or the internet can bite you in the ass!

so what i mean is be prepared to say things on facebook that you would in public, if they do well... they are braver than me! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I really just cannot wrap my head around the fact that people continue to read these jokes even though it supposedly disgusts them so.
    They all come out with this crap "how would you feel if you lost a baby" and "you're going to rot in hell." People who have lost babies will not be reading the jokes and if they do, it's their fault for reading it. I wouldn't mind if at least one of the people could spell or form a coherent sentence. half the people don't even give a s**t, they're just looking for something to complain about! Sheepism of the most horrid and annoying kind.

As for this one sending the photo around he should get a right kick in the ass. I'd love to know if he ever made a racist joke or an equally offensive joke in his own home. Because if he has, not only is he illiterate, he'd be a hypocrite then too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I feel sorry for the man. The man being the one who got his info sent to college and so on.

I mean seriously, how f**king much of a complete cúnt must you be to say "hey, instead of litereally being able to block it and defriend the people who post it, I'll just bitch and moan and try to punish the maker"?

Here's the worst part: Facebook said multiple times the page is fine so instead of being mature and saying "I disagree with your website and I'll leave" he said "I'll throw a hissy fit and tattle you on".

And before anyone jumps down my throat, black humour is still humour. Regardless of if he posted it for a reaction of "ew, that's sick" or "that's horrible! *snide laughter*", it doesn't matter.

If you have a f**king problem with the page, ignore it. If you have a problem with people posting on your wall, block them or just change the settings.

I don't get what the problem is. You cannot, under any logical means say "well if he won't say it in a public place, then he shouldn't post it on Facebook". Facebook is completely different from real life for one. And secondly, IT IS AN OPTIONAL FÚCKING WEBSITE.
    If you don't like what's being posted and Facebook allows it, then stop bloody using it.

D1stant wrote: »
    What planet are you on?

Are you really defending someone that makes 'jokes' about dead children and raping babies?

So as long as I call it a joke I can be a Nazi or Al-Qaeda? I can incite hatred, offend at will and be anonymous and untouchable?

---> Moral Compass

What planet are you on that you want to restrict freedom of expression because someone might be offended?

It might offend a lot of people, true, but I'll ALWAYS respect someones right to express themselves even if I'm personally disgusted by what they say. As long as it is not actual incitement to hatred or harm.

He is not inciting hatred, except of himself, he is simply telling very bad jokes in very bad taste. He is not actually raping children.

You are choosing to be personally offended by something that was not in any way directed at you. He should be allowed to express himself in any way he wants.

And just before anyone makes a comparison, Boards is not like facebook, we have mods to keep the spirit of the forums and there is no true free expression for very good reasons. Though there are places on boards where the jokes this guy told would be considered funny. You need to get off high horses are realise that it's not directed at you, so you should simply ignore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

I may not like those kinds of jokes but once he's not harming anyone it's not the business of his employer/the police/whatever what he's doing in his free time.

The only sick one here is the dick who's trying to ruin an innocent person's life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I have seen the page 'dead baby jokes' on facebook popping up on my news feed from time to time, with people requesting likes to get it shut down.

However, one person seems to have taken it to a new level.

This person has taken a screen shot of one individuals very abusive and disgusting references to babys, and is emailing the persons university, workplace, and his local poilce station with the comments he made.

Judge for yourself.

http://www.facebook.com/GetDeadBabyJokesPageBanned/posts/433027750082749

The people commenting on that page should also be prosecuted for massacring the English language.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

I wonder if the subject matter was about Black people or Jewish people or Irish people (though we were the target of low level wit of certain English comedians for years) would the reactions of others be different.

Is it that babies can't stand up to defend themselves that it's ok to make them the butt of these horrible jokes?

Or maybe because the jokes are about innocent cuddly babies, everyone knows that they are jokes and cannot be taken in anyway seriously. Whereasif they were about other groups, those hearing them might think that jokes about people of other races, cultures, genders etc could be just covering up the posters own prejudices.

The jokes are in bad taste, what's worse they are not funny. I bet when he tells these to his mates (I'm assuming it's a male) the mates all laugh awkwardly and wish the teller would just shut up.

Sorry long winded hope it makes sense.

And just before anyone makes a comparison, Boards is not like facebook, we have mods to keep the spirit of the forums and there is no true free expression for very good reasons. .

They're exactly alike, actually. Facebook's version of mods said multiple times the page is fine. That's what I don't get.

I mean if suddenly Boards decided "hey, posting videos of people getting tortured is okay in X forum", I'd stay out of that forum.

I feel sorry for the man. The man being the one who got his info sent to college and so on.

I mean seriously, how f**king much of a complete cúnt must you be to say "hey, instead of litereally being able to block it and defriend the people who post it, I'll just bitch and moan and try to punish the maker"?

Here's the worst part: Facebook said multiple times the page is fine so instead of being mature and saying "I disagree with your website and I'll leave" he said "I'll throw a hissy fit and tattle you on".

And before anyone jumps down my throat, black humour is still humour. Regardless of if he posted it for a reaction of "ew, that's sick" or "that's horrible! *snide laughter*", it doesn't matter.

If you have a f**king problem with the page, ignore it. If you have a problem with people posting on your wall, block them or just change the settings.

I don't get what the problem is. You cannot, under any logical means say "well if he won't say it in a public place, then he shouldn't post it on Facebook". Facebook is completely different from real life for one. And secondly, IT IS AN OPTIONAL FÚCKING WEBSITE.
    If you don't like what's being posted and Facebook allows it, then stop bloody using it.

I think when you threaten to sexually abuse a child it crosses the line (well my line) from what is humour, and what is just downright vile.

I get your point that people should ignore the page though.

Just I dont personally see the 'joke' in the sexual molestation threats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

D1stant wrote: »
    What planet are you on?

---> Moral Compass

You don't watch much comedy do you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LneOzu6Ytio

A comedian called Godfrey confronts a heckler with regards 'sensitive' topics.

'You don't control comedy'.
    'If you don't like it, leave!'.

amtw wrote: »
    I wonder if the subject matter was about Black people or Jewish people or Irish people (though we were the target of low level wit of certain English comedians for years) would the reactions of others be different.

Rules and standards. That'd be hate speech and would get the page removed. :)
    I think when you threaten to sexually abuse a child it crosses the line (well my line) from what is humour, and what is just downright vile.

I get your point that people should ignore the page though.

Just I dont personally see the 'joke' in the sexual molestation threats.

Shock value, I guess. Same reason why I laughed when I played Mortal Kombat and I turned into a polar bear and mauled someone to death.

28064212 wrote: »
    Why? How is it any different? Because having a controversial opinion is different to a controversial joke? It's not

Yes it is. - this isn't about whether or not controversial jokes are OK in a public forum. It's about dedicating a page to controversial jokes aimed at inciting a reaction on a topic that's bound to affect many, many people.

Edit: The troll isn't giving a controversial opinion and citing reasons as to why he holds such an opinion is he?

Seriously, if you can't see how this is different to what you described....

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Yes it is. - this isn't about whether or not controversial jokes are OK in a public forum. It's about dedicating a page to controversial jokes aimed at inciting a reaction on a topic that's bound to affect many, many people.

And again, if you don't like it, leave. It's okay by Facebook's rules.

Imagine if I go to a comedy club and I see "racist jokes about blacks and Asians tonight!" and I go in and I get offended... that's my own fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

Casillas wrote: »
    If only we could stifle the speech of everyone that offends, it would be a silent world.

Felt like being a bit poetic with my reply ;)
    I certainly wouldn't agree with stifling free speech. But if someone has posted publicly in FB then drawing attention to it is just amplifying what the person said. If people reach a conclusion about the person as a result then that too is fair enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement