Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sick troll gets his comeuppance on Facebook!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Ghandee wrote: »
    I have seen the page 'dead baby jokes' on facebook popping up on my news feed from time to time, with people requesting likes to get it shut down.

However, one person seems to have taken it to a new level.

This person has taken a screen shot of one individuals very abusive and disgusting references to babys, and is emailing the persons university, workplace, and his local poilce station with the comments he made.

Has the person reporting them gone too far?

Dead baby jokes are not illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭keithb93

he's hardly a troll if Its a dead baby jokes page that he is commenting on. He'd be a troll if it was say an anti abortion page or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

keithb93 wrote: »
    he's hardly a troll if Its a dead baby jokes page that he is commenting on. He'd be a troll if it was say an anti abortion page or something.

I thought the thing was that the troll was the maker of the page and he made to page to piss people off, which would be trolling :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Yes it is. - this isn't about whether or not controversial jokes are OK in a public forum. It's about dedicating a page to controversial jokes aimed at inciting a reaction on a topic that's bound to affect many, many people.
    How is it aimed at inciting a reaction? The page is called "Dead Baby Jokes". Are people really shocked to find out what's on it?

And do you really think people don't write letters to the newspaper to incite a reaction?
    Edit: The troll isn't giving a controversial opinion and citing reasons as to why he holds such an opinion is he?
    He's saying something controversial. Regardless of whether it's an opinion or a joke, it's irrelevant

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Confab wrote: »
    Dead baby jokes are not illegal.

I know that.

And?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Bastard got me kicked out of uni and fired from KFC over a few jokes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

good thing he wasn't telling dead baby jokes and drawing pictures of mohammed, then he'd be a **** of the highest order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

What planet are you on that you want to restrict freedom of expression because someone might be offended?

A D1stant planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

And again, if you don't like it, leave. It's okay by Facebook's rules.

Imagine if I go to a comedy club and I see "racist jokes about blacks and Asians tonight!" and I go in and I get offended... that's my own fault.

I'm not offended by it personally..at all. However, I fail to see why someone would set up an entire page dedicated to this - it's more strange than finding a dead baby joke hilarious.

• Advertisement

I also like this from one of the pages against it:
    I would just like to remind everyone that we are trying to get dead baby jokes banned not be racest to each other !

Yes, that's not a typo. It's now called "racest" and a space does come after an exclamation mark.
    I'm not offended by it personally..at all. However, I fail to see why someone would set up an entire page dedicated to this - it's more strange than finding a dead baby joke hilarious.

Because someone people would like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

What planet are you on that you want to restrict freedom of expression because someone might be offended?

It might offend a lot of people, true, but I'll ALWAYS respect someones right to express themselves even if I'm personally disgusted by what they say. As long as it is not actual incitement to hatred or harm.

He is not inciting hatred, except of himself, he is simply telling very bad jokes in very bad taste. He is not actually raping children.

You are choosing to be personally offended by something that was not in any way directed at you. He should be allowed to express himself in any way he wants.

Oh thats ok then

Im more offended by people like you defending this. There is enough sh1t on the internet without adding to it and defending it.

Bye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Absolutley sick and disgusting jokes.
    So sick and disgusting I made sure I read them not once but twice so I could be twice as upset and offended.

28064212 wrote: »
    How is it aimed at inciting a reaction? The page is called "Dead Baby Jokes". Are people really shocked to find out what's on it?

And do you really think people don't write letters to the newspaper to incite a reaction?

He's saying something controversial. Regardless of whether it's an opinion or a joke, it's irrelevant

People post opinions to make people understand their point of view and to try and persuade like minded views in others. I wouldn't call it inciting a reaction.

You can't just say 'he's saying something controversial end of story'. Context, the forum he's telling jokes in, reasons etc has to mean something in these (and it does in most) cases.

D1stant wrote: »
    Oh thats ok then

Im more offended by people like you defending this. There is enough sh1t on the internet without adding to it and defending it.

Defending what? The fact he's not breaking any rules?

I mean if you were that pissed off with it then start a campaign to stop using Facebook till it's taken down (I'm serious here). It's fine by their rules.
    Absolutley sick and disgusting jokes.
    So sick and disgusting I made sure I read them not once but twice so I could be twice as upset and offended.

I bet you even liked it by mistake you were that horrified! And THEN you keep going back to post about how "itz fckin descusting dat dis pages r aloud 2 be here" right? :D

Apparently it's fine to threaten someone with violence, try to arrange to have them fired from their job and expelled from school just for making jokes that don't hurt anyone in any capacity. "bein' offendd by de ded bb joeks" doesn't count btw. Even if you lost ten babies. These people who are harassing that man need to ****ing grow up.

• Advertisement

Because someone people would like it.

Some people like racism too.

Some people like racism too.

There's a difference though. One is against the rules and would be removed and the other is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Oh thats ok then

Bye

I'm delighted I'm offending you then, maybe it will toughen you up to not be so overly sensitive about words on a screen.

Being OK with trying to ruin a mans life because he told a few bad taste jokes offends me, and I don't think it should be done because it has an ACTUAL tangible effect on someone, rather than someone just feeling a little bad reading it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Im more offended by people like you defending this. T

Free speech offends you?

What a horrible life you must lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

If he finds these 'jokes' that offensive he shouldn't be bringing peoples attention to them. If he wants to report it to Facebook fair enough, but why does he need to tell the world what he's doing? Does he think he's a big hero or something? Also if he's that worried about paedophiles why is he posing with (presumably) his son in his profile picture and bringing as much attention to himself as possible?

The comments are moronic. People actually seem to think the troll is a paedophile, as if a real paedophile would tell the world that he's a paedophile. Child molesters usually tend to be a bit more covert than that.

Having said that I don't have any sympathy for whatever happens to the troll. Somehow I doubt he actually used his real name and university though.

To sum things up the troll is a moron. The person who is trying to get the troll banned is a moron. Pretty much everyone who commented on his post is a moron.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Didn't you get the hint after the first time?:confused:

We should have a different internet for people who hate free speech.

Then they'd never have to be offended again.

Although somehow I think they'd still sneak into the 'grown-ups internet' just so they can be outraged.

There's a difference though. One is against the rules and would be removed and the other is fine.

Point taken.

I just think setting up a FB page to something like that is a bit much and is obviously only going to serve to get under people's skin.

A joke, grand. A page for jokes about dead babies is pretty stupid imo - yes, some people would like it as you said, but I think FB is a little irresponsible given the number of it's users and the amount of people that are affected by the death of a baby - this kind of thing can easily reach and upset those people.

I mean, there's any number of places for these. The guy could set up his own dead baby joke website for all I care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I find it disturbing that over 50,000 people like his post. That means there's at least 50,000 people that think paedophiles go around telling the world they're paedophiles.

I've clicked on F5 a few times and it seems to be getting about 1,000 likes every few seconds. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The only time I ever hear of dead baby jokes is when offended people like this bring it to my attention.

Ben Hey would do well to note that he too has posted up personal information about himself, leaving him open to any kind of anonymous revenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

what about dead puppy jokes, are they ok?

Point taken.

I just think setting up a FB page to something like that is a bit much and is obviously only going to serve to get under people's skin.

A joke, grand. A page for jokes about dead babies is pretty stupid imo - yes, some people would like it as you said, but I think FB is a little irresponsible given the number of it's users and the amount of people that are affected by the death of a baby - this kind of thing can easily reach and upset those people.

I mean, there's any number of places for these. The guy could set up his own dead baby joke website for all I care.

I do understand your point completely. But here's the cold, hard facts: it's fine by Facebook (which can be considered stupid, sure) but honestly, if you were to get highly offended (just for this point) and started ranting and raving because someone "liked" it... why the f**k wouldn't you call that person on it?

Sure it's insensitive, mean and downright cruel as a joke but if you were that offended then surely you'd rather defriend whoever liked it and shared it with you instead of going after someone who has no clue who you are other than raving arse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

Oh thats ok then

Bye

I'm delighted I'm offending you then, maybe it will toughen you up to not be so overly sensitive about words on a screen.

Being OK with trying to ruin a mans life because he told a few bad taste jokes offends me, and I don't think it should be done because it has an ACTUAL tangible effect on someone, rather than someone just feeling a little bad reading it.
    The guy posted publicly. More people are aware of what he finds funny. Maybe he should be less sensitive about the consequences and you should be less sensitive for him. People are entitled to draw conclusions. Tough.

Point taken.

Facebook don't pretend to be and don't try to be a moral authority. That's exactly how they should be. They won't let a page exist of it says Kill all the fags, or whatever, but it's about JOKES Not action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've clicked on F5 a few times and it seems to be getting about 1,000 likes every few seconds. :confused:
    It's the angry mob. Some people should be banned from any type of fiction because they simply don't understand the dreams and reality diagram from Fr Ted.

• Advertisement

I think its funnier the guy was exposed for telling dead baby jokes :D

If I'd had this level of controversy my Dead Languages Joke page would have been a hit!

Nobody cares about Latin though. :(

• Site Banned Posts: 153 ✭✭kegzmc

This is silly. I'm going home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

A joke, grand. A page for jokes about dead babies is pretty stupid imo - yes, some people would like it as you said, but I think FB is a little irresponsible given the number of it's users and the amount of people that are affected by the death of a baby - this kind of thing can easily reach and upset those people
    Lots of things upset people. Where do Facebook draw the line?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    If I'd had this level of controversy my Dead Languages Joke page would have been a hit!

I care :)

I heard a really good dead baby joke recently so if anyone wants to hear it, PM me. If you don't, then don't PM me and get mad if you don't like the joke.

srsly though it's really funny.

I heard a really good dead baby joke recently so if anyone wants to hear it, PM me. If you don't, then don't PM me and get mad if you don't like the joke.

I'm emailing Boards HQ now to have the PM facility banned. :mad:

Facebook don't pretend to be and don't try to be a moral authority. That's exactly how they should be. They won't let a page exist of it says Kill all the fags, or whatever, but it's about JOKES Not action.

OK, but what if my dead baby joke involved killing a baby or some actions that lead to the death of a baby? I'm guessing that joke, based on actions is still OK, whereas a similar 'kill gay people' isn't....

So, is it OK to have a dead gay people jokes thread about how, through acts of homosexuality these people died and if so why not?

So if I do PM you and get offended by your joke, do I have a right to lobby to have your account banned?

Or is it only if I use horrible English?

• Advertisement

you've just made yourself an enemy :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I shall PM you, you shall PM me the joke, then I shall get angry and attempt to ruin your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Facebook draw the line at effin' anything!

Fair enough.

See my post before this one:

Either everything goes (except blatant hatred towards other races etc) or they do have to moderate FB.

davet82 wrote: »
    I think its funnier the guy was exposed for telling dead baby jokes :D

What's funny about it? That he's getting his for trying to be funny?

That said, I just told a nice simple joke on the dead baby joke page to see the reaction.

My joke was "Do you know who doesn't get offended by dead baby jokes? Dead Babies"

2 people calling me ugly, one saying I should be on Jeremy Kyle, and the only one using proper spelling and grammar is the person who found it funny.

That's something I find really funny. Apparently it's dumb people can't separate jokes from reality. :)

OK, but what if my dead baby joke involved killing a baby or some actions that lead to the death of a baby? I'm guessing that joke, based on actions is still OK, whereas a similar 'kill gay people' isn't....

So, is it OK to have a dead gay people jokes thread about how, through acts of homosexuality these people died and if so why not?

Well the "kill all fags" page would be more along "kill them for being gay" and outright condoning murder.

No, it wouldn't be okay on Facebook I don't think, it'd be considered hate speech since you're essentially saying "if you're gay and you die, it's your fault for being gay".

Or at least I think that's what your post was about.

• Advertisement

What I find so ridiculous about the "dead baby jokes" page, is that I wouldn't even know about the bloody page if it wasn't for all the people trying to get it shut down on my FB feed. If everyone had just ignored it, it wouldn't have gone viral and so the whole world would not have been offended.

What I find so ridiculous about the "dead baby jokes" page, is that I wouldn't even know about the bloody page if it wasn't for all the people trying to get it shut down on my FB feed. If everyone had just ignored it, it wouldn't have gone viral and so the whole world would not have been offended.

You know what the funniest part is though?

The fact that the same thing cropped up a month ago and it was thousands of Irish people with their piss-poor use of a keyboard ranting and raving giving us all a horrible name.

What's funny about it? That he's getting his for trying to be funny?

That said, I just told a nice simple joke on the dead baby joke page to see the reaction.

My joke was "Do you know who doesn't get offended by dead baby jokes? Dead Babies"

2 people calling me ugly, one saying I should be on Jeremy Kyle, and the only one using proper spelling and grammar is the person who found it funny.

That's something I find really funny. Apparently it's dumb people can't separate jokes from reality. :)

i think its funny cause its annoyed him, a practical joke... its not me so its funny, so fcuk'em, it made me laugh :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm emailing Boards HQ now to have the PM facility banned. :mad:

Ejmaztec Likes this.

Calling for the death of people for whatever they are is not a joke.

Telling a joke about the death or dying can be offensive, but humorous. I'm not gonna pretend to be a moral authority, but basically if you are calling for the death of people because you hate something about them, you're bad in my book. If you tell a joke about it, it's either funny or not, but can't really complain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement