Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving House - list of people to notify

Options
  • 07-08-2012 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm moving house very soon and have been trying to think of all of the people I need to notify. I've come up with the following however I may be missing a few so please shout out if you think I've forgotten any:
    Work for payslips,etc
    Car Insurance
    Tax office
    Bank
    Health insurance
    Credit union
    Airtricity
    UPC
    House Insurance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭powerstar

Motor tax office

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Brewie

I bought my house 16 months ago and I am still getting the previous owners post. Nice to see someone making the effort to notify mail senders. Here's a sample list of the stuff I'm still getting.
    • Union (work) correspondence
    • Online/catalogue company sales stuff
    • Insurance - car, house, pet, life
    • polling/voting cards
    • utilities ie gas/electricity
    • xtra vision promo's & other misc companys where addresses given
    • bank
    • revenue - balancing certificates/tax credits all that stuff arrived this year.
    • An post & credit union mail
    • letters from friends and family (distant family I presume......)
    • ensure that all of your online purchases/profiles get updated with your new address. I get the odd delivery of goods purchased. SVP got toys for Xmas.
    • Pension company
    • Tesco vouchers
    • I'm sure there's more but I cant remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Hi,

I'm moving house very soon and have been trying to think of all of the people I need to notify. I've come up with the following however I may be missing a few so please shout out if you think I've forgotten any:
    Work for payslips,etc
    Car Insurance
    Tax office
    Bank
    Health insurance
    Credit union
    Airtricity
    UPC
    House Insurance

All your friends:D
    All your family except the ones you dont want to know:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭movingsucks

I was just checking my own recent list and everything seems covered
    Do you need to update your TV Licence?

If you can afford it its not a bad idea to get your mail redirected for a few months it helps catch anything you might miss :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

been there, done that!

utilities- ESB, phone, heat, Internet, tv supplier.

tv licence

car tax/regustration, insurance

bank, credit card, credit union, prize bonds etc

work, salaries, union etc

health insurance

delivery address with amazon, PayPal, eBay, online shopping etc

magazine subscriptions

Any professional organisations/societies you are a member of

reward clubs, Tesco, dunnes etc

by no means an exhaustive list!
    it's about 50 quid to redirect your mail for 3 months- well worth it, IMO. I've done that a few times, and tbh it continues on for a month or two after the three months is up. it's useful for anyone else you may have forgotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I was just checking my own recent list and everything seems covered
    Do you need to update your TV Licence?

If you can afford it its not a bad idea to get your mail redirected for a few months it helps catch anything you might miss :)

yep, you can transfer your licence to your new place by sending them an email with your licence number or code

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Doctor, hospital if you have any appointments coming up. Dentist.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Electoral Register

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Library.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

This is the kind of thread that needs to be a sticky in here I reckon :) A great list of things to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

In the Nordic countries you just tell the local commune or whoever maintains the (mandatory) resident registration database.

All utilities and state departments(tax, gas, phone, police etc) feed in to and off this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_registration

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GeorgeOrwell

What happens if you have UPC TV and broadband and your new place (an old house) has nothing installed?

(Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but the lists upthread made me wonder)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Probation officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

What happens if you have UPC TV and broadband and your new place (an old house) has nothing installed?

(Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but the lists upthread made me wonder)

You can transfer the service as far as I know. I've transferred Sky without any hassle. UPC was already in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

You can ring UPC, they have a special 'moving house' number on the website, found them very helpful

Advertisement